Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Not really surprised

Doesn’t matter.

Canucks over the preds in 7.

Oilers can’t handle the pressure of being the favorites against a backup. Myers shuts down Mcdavid and we beat them in five. Demko being out actually helps us here.

Pettersson wakes up in R3 and dominates Nate h2h. DeSmith outplays Georgiev.

Hurricanes lose Slavin and Aho before the SCF and get dominated in the middle of the ice.

I see the vision.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
If Juuse Saros were injured and their backup – who I just assume is Wade Dubielewicz or something – went in, we all know the Canucks would still struggle to eke out 2-1 victories.

But with Demko down I don't honestly feel they're going to win another game in this series. They have been unimpressive for so long and just seem unable to do anything without him.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If Juuse Saros were injured and their backup – who I just assume is Wade Dubielewicz or something – went in, we all know the Canucks would still struggle to eke out 2-1 victories.

But with Demko down I don't honestly feel they're going to win another game in this series. They have been unimpressive for so long and just seem unable to do anything without him.

Then we don't deserve to advance. While DeSmith has been shaky at times, we're more than capable of ousting Nashville. Our big guns need to actually put up numbers and not rely on a goalie to bail them out.

Even a health Demko isn't saving us when Joshua and Suter are our leading scorers.

Last edited:

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB

Not really surprised

im-out-nope.gif

Back in 94

In Gillis I trust
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not gonna believe anything until someone from the organization says something. According to today his timeline is anywhere from day to day to out for the playoffs.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
She is credible, yes. Used to be a writer for the Canes but now covers the league iirc
Eh, I'll take it with a grain of salt. I have doubts about it if none of the Canucks reporters/media people are mentioning it, nor are any of the big name people (IE. LeBrun/Friedman).

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

lawrence

May 19, 2012
what knee injury was short termed? Ive never seen one before. its 4-6 weeks. He's done for the playoffs.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
what knee injury was short termed? Ive never seen one before. its 4-6 weeks. He's done for the playoffs.

Ullmark looked like he did his knee in jan but had negative x rays and only missed a few games

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
The dream was nice. Reality has struck. We can absolutely get to round 2 and that would be a success...but its so much less than this team could've achieved. Unreal.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
When it comes to goaltending, there are the half dozen or so, consistent goaltenders who are likely to be in the Vezina conversation year-to-year, and then there is everybody else.

The first group never get traded -- pretty much ever (Luongo aside).

The second group gets recycled constantly by teams looking to solve their goaltending situation. This team is built around Demko, there is no other solution.

The right move is to find an upgrade on DeSmith to balance the load a bit more than what our backups have provided the last few seasons.

For the future, the team either drafts his replacement, or is content with league average goaltending.
To me this is not the modern way to handle your goaltending.

The position is extremely volatile from year ti year and taxing on your body and fatiguing on your mind.

You need to be 3 deep and you dont want to commit long term.

3 deep so that an injury wont derail your load management plan.

Long term goalie contracts are too big of a risk.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The dream was nice. Reality has struck. We can absolutely get to round 2 and that would be a success...but its so much less than this team could've achieved. Unreal.
I mean... if someone told you last summer we would easily make the playoffs and come up short there because of injuries... doubt anyone here would have said no to that.

Not really surprised

This is a pretty safe bet.

I think the injury that put him out of action for 5 weeks was more serious than we knew.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Jason Botchford was a mentor for Civian so she has connections to the Vancouver market (Canucks have always been her second team after the Hurricanes), and is very credible for league wide reporting.

Just a deflating feeling after Game 1.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
meh. someone can be reliable but be fed bullshit

either ten people lied to sara civ or the people she got info from just weren’t the ones truly itk

or the organization lied to their closest media allies because they don’t want market optimism to be a complete 0 when they’re still trying to sell tickets.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Load management will be a non negotiable with Demko next year. He can't be playing four or five starts in a row.

Risk the L with the backup so he won't be awol for moments like this.

Sucks that next year we may learn this lesson but the front group will be much weaker

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Demko has been covering up for mistakes.
With the revamped defence this team would still have made the playoffs even without Demko.

He can be a difference maker and has that reputation considering he hasn't played 6 playoff games.

Get him healthy and then move on, there are teams that will roll the dice with him.

Just an odd thought, maybe make him the back up goalie, 25 to 30 games in the easy season and work the arse off the next two AHL guys.

It is a myth that a 21 yr old guy can't play in the show.
Hellebuyck just turned 30 yrs old and is in his 9th year in the NHL.
Oettinger is 25yrs old and in his 4th year
Ullmark, 30, 7 years ful time and 3 years part time
Swayman, 25, 4th year in the NHL
Bobrovsky, 35, 14 years in the NHL

There are many examples of youngish goalies making a difference. IMO they are successful due to the defence in front of them. Even Vancouver had a back up, Auld, win 30 games one year but the team had a stout defence corps.

IMO they have a good enough defence and Ian Clarke the goalie whisperer, to run with a rookie goalie and Demko as back up or some other inexpensive veteran

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad