Confirmed with Link: Andrew Ference 14th Captain of the Edmonton Oilers

ronwm

Aug 4, 2010
(South of) Boston
My loyalties are with the Bruins, but a part of me will be rooting for Edmonton as well this season.

If his leadership there is only 1/2 as strong as it was over here you'll be pleased.

Good luck, gang.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
While it's a little odd that he's the captain after just joining the squad, I'm not surprised. Ference's attitude has been nothing but great for the most part. He's got a lot of what we could use from a leader. Great in the room(or we've been told), great work ethic and he's seen what it takes to win the cup.

I felt we hadn't had a captain for a while under Horcoff's reign, and IMO, having good leadership is important. Ference has all the traits needed to be a good leader for us.

I'm happy about this.

Sloth Slothersons*

Not surprised at all. Excellent choice. Competitor, winner, experienced, community guy, etc. Feel much more comfortable handing the C to a younger guy in 4 years. This allows Hall and co to just focus on winning hockey games.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Great pick for a captain. Respect in the room, in the community, and more than likely around the league from other players as well as the refs.

Hopefully he can lead the core to the promised land (or at least the playoffs.)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Good choice. I don't think any of the kids are ready yet and the last thing they need is the burden of being captain, let them just play without that pressure.

Ference is a guy who has been through the wars, is a great leader on and off the ice and can handle this sort of pressure. The one minor issue is that it could be a problem a couple of years down the line when his skills start eroding and it becomes another Horcoff/Moreau situation but otherwise, excellent choice for now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
At least when the team goes on it's annual 10 game slide and crashes and burns, he won't offer up a bunch of excuses like our former captains have the last few years.

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Good move. Seems odd that a new guy would be handed this responsibility; but given the way Ference is, there's no chance he was "handed" anything. If Eakins was moved enough to make such a seemingly rash move, I'd say that, in and of itself should tell the story behind the decision.

It will only be a matter of time before he's earned it with the naysayers. He has a history of being very active in the locker room, and maybe a little too vocal in some instances; but he gives a ****, and that's what I always took from Andrew. The guy is all effort.

If grit from their smaller players is what this team lacks, he has that particular quality in spades. Give him time to make it his team. His qualities will rub off once he's established that this is his team now.

Every B's fan will tell you that Ference is more than up to the task. He's ready.

Last edited:

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
I like didn't totally expect it but it's good
When he's done with the C Hall and co. Will be in their mid 20's and hopefully have some playoff experience
For now let the young guys focus on improving and willing

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Ference a captain? I don't see it. Is he the Oilers best defenseman? Best veteran? I never thought he was all that good.

Skill wise, he's a solid pro. Being the best player on the club has absolutely nothing to do with what makes a good captain.

Does he exemplify what your team is, or in this case, what you want them to be?

McDeathbyCheerios*

So it's not a big deal but it's a big deal if picked wrong. Hmmmm.
If you have a a couple great guys that can lead it doesn't matter which guy you pick. Picking say Anton Lander would be a bad idea and a big deal

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Ference a captain? I don't see it. Is he the Oilers best defenseman? Best veteran? I never thought he was all that good.

It's not about being the best player. Chris Clark was the Caps captain for awhile.

I think this was the perfect choice by Edmonton. Andrew Ference defines what it means to be a consumate professional, a guy to look up to, a guy you want on your team. What he brought to Boston in his years here was more than just a hockey player. He was a leader on and off the ice. The fans saw him on the streets and he was a guy you could like. Not a bad word was said about him. The only reason he wasn't a captain in Boston was because of the unbelievable leadership that was displayed in that locker room, from Chara to Bergeron to Kelly.

Its not a slight to Taylor that he didn't get the C. He will get it in a few years. But you want a veteran who's been through the fire and has seen the promised land. A guy the team will respect and look up to. Andrew Ference is that guy.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
He's probably the best choice. I'm not surprised at all. I know most if us wanted hall, but I assume Ference is the real leader in that room.

Evets 81

Dec 29, 2012
B.C.
This is fine with me. I had it down to Gagner or Ference.

I like this choice over Gagner (or Hall, since he was a candidate too) because this team needs to complete the culture change from the losing days. We've got a very different roster already, so what else to do but bring in a new captain from a different team, who has experience with winning, rather than give it to someone who was here and 'got used to' the whole losing thing.

Ference seems to be VERY receptive to Eakins' fitness regime and immediately, Ference was front and centre with what Eakins brings. I'd say it is good to have the captain follow the coach closely, so he fits right in.

Also, seeing all of the community work and appearances Ference has made already, just off of the Oilers Facebook page, it seems like he would be a good choice as the leader of the team. If he can motivate our young guys to have interest in doing community work, it would do a ton of good for the image of the team and would probably help mature them a bit too.

Once Ference is gone, it will pretty much flow right down to Taylor Hall, but as of right now he is ultimately too young and inexperienced. And since we can all tell that Hall is the heart and drive of the team, one can only assume that the rest of the players pick up on that and will follow his example.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Awesome. great choice. The oilers have never made the young star the captian, and I think that is a good choice. Let the kids play (ie hall or Gagner) with out pressure.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Ference knows about winning. He knows what it takes.
He's a local product.
He's good in the community.
His devotion to fitness is something to be admired, and is something Eakins probably admires.
He's not a top scorer or top pairing D man, but he can fulfill his on-ice role admirably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->