Confirmed with Link: Andrew Ference 14th Captain of the Edmonton Oilers

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
pic.twitter.com/o8m2loQDoR

Dallas Eakins ‏@dallaseakins 4m
Andrew Ference will UNITE us. 14th Captain in Edmonton Oiler History. pic.twitter.com/o8m2loQDoR

BVVfBTRCQAA3nIf.jpg:large

Last edited:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Strange to have a guy who's never played a game for us named captain.. But ok.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
Awesome.

Don't think it matters at all that he hasn't been an Oiler long. They know what kind of guy he is and that is what is important in a captain.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
i think people make to much about who is a captain on hockey teams, i don't believe it really matters very much at all

that being said, ference is a pretty good choice.... i think the kids are all still too young... hall likely could have handled it, but this season would have been a bad time to be taking on the role of captain, as he is already being asked to single-handedly solve our center depth (because macT is an idiot), so throwing on the duties of captaincy on top of it would have been even more things to worry about.... ference is a work out machine, a professional, won a stanley cup and been to another 2 finals... he's seen it all in hockey, and hopefully some of what makes ference such a competitor will rub off on some other players

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan

Could be a good thing, he comes from a winning team! And changing the losing attitude around the oiler's needs a fresh face as captain, someone who has won the cup. Now lets play some hockey :handclap:

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Him and Hall were really the only choices imo. I think this is a good choice. Hall is working on a new position so you don't need to put this extra pressure on him right now. Ference is a great guy and a great leader. (But he better play pretty well too! :P )

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB

When you've played as bad as this team the last 4 years, is it really that strange? I think it appeals to me on that level.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Him and Hall were really the only choices imo. I think this is a good choice. Hall is working on a new position so you don't need to put this extra pressure on him right now. Ference is a great guy and a great leader. (But he better play pretty well too! :P )

Agree with this. Hall has a lot on his plate, as well as a bit of growing up to do still. Ference made an instant impression on Eakins and his teammates, and seems to be the poster boy for what Eakins preaches. Definitely the right guy for the job.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Huh. Well, okay, I guess. As long as members of the club who've been on the team for more than five minutes and who've actually played games for the team and who are supposedly the future of this franchise don't take offence and consider this a snub, I couldn't care less.

I'll say one thing, though: if Ference starts to Nick Schultz it out there on the ice, these boards could get ugly fast. :laugh:

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Part of me wonders if it came down to Hall and Ference, and the poor effort in OKC did Hall in. It's presumptive to say the least, but in considering it, it certainly wouldn't help anyone's case if they're seen to be mailing in preseason games.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Great choice. He's won a Cup and has valuable playoff experience. He knows what it takes to win. No one else on the team has anything Ference has.

dmtdvm

Feb 24, 2013
Ference has experience, is involved in the community and mirrors Eakins fitness mindset. Great choice. Give Hall the A for now, he will still lead the young guns. Solid, solid move.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I like Ference as Captain. He comes from a winning organization, he's a veteran, and he can take the pressure as a Bridge Captain until the Oilers figure out which of the kids is ready to carry the torch. I think it will mean good things.

Spartacles

Apr 9, 2006
GP
i think people make to much about who is a captain on hockey teams, i don't believe it really matters very much at all

that being said, ference is a pretty good choice.... i think the kids are all still too young... hall likely could have handled it, but this season would have been a bad time to be taking on the role of captain, as he is already being asked to single-handedly solve our center depth (because macT is an idiot), so throwing on the duties of captaincy on top of it would have been even more things to worry about.... ference is a work out machine, a professional, won a stanley cup and been to another 2 finals... he's seen it all in hockey, and hopefully some of what makes ference such a competitor will rub off on some other players

+1 :handclap:

Topshelf88

Jul 27, 2008
You guys got a good one. I am going to miss him more than anyone else who has left the team since I started watching hockey. Great guy on and off the ice.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Good stuff. A nice changing of guard. Hall would have been too predictable. Also allows the kids to focus on their game. Although hopefully ego's don't get in the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad