Confirmed with Link: Andrew Ference 14th Captain of the Edmonton Oilers

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
A little surprised when I heard it but i think this is a great choice. The kids can learn leadership from a natural leader, which they haven't had in the past. I actually think that by the time the C is ready to be passed, Nurse may be the prime candidate (along with Hall).

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
The C is largely symbolic, which is why I don't like this. It's clearly Taylor Hall's team, should've just been passed on to him.

According to Eakins, the captain is the most important person in the organization. So either he strongly disagrees with you, or is just part of the hype machine that does put a lot of emphasis on the captain.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
According to Eakins, the captain is the most important person in the organization. So either he strongly disagrees with you, or is just part of the hype machine that does put a lot of emphasis on the captain.

That makes the choice even more puzzling.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
That makes the choice even more puzzling.

I'm personally okay with it. I think the comments Eakins and Ference made to the press explain the rationale. Mentally/emotionally/whatever you want to call it, this team is not where they want to be. Ference was a leader on a good team, and they want some of that attitude to rub off on this team. I know they could have gone in another direction by naming one of the young players, but I understand why they chose this one. I also I think it's very likely that in a couple of years Ference gives the C to one of them. By then, his game will likely be in decline, and they might be a little more ready for the responsibility than they are now.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I'm personally okay with it. I think the comments Eakins and Ference made to the press explain the rationale. Mentally/emotionally/whatever you want to call it, this team is not where they want to be. Ference was a leader on a good team, and they want some of that attitude to rub off on this team. I know they could have gone in another direction by naming one of the young players, but I understand why they chose this one. I also I think it's very likely that in a couple of years Ference gives the C to one of them. By then, his game will likely be in decline, and they might be a little more ready for the responsibility than they are now.

Fair enough. Let's put it this way: I like giving Ference the C a lot more than I like giving him a four year contract. (To those who think his play won't drop off because he's in great shape, I have two words for you: Shawn Horcoff).

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Interesting that everybody saying that Ference is the right choice, meanwhile they've been saying it should be Hall ever since Horcoff was traded. Not saying its a bad choice but if we are going with a gritty stay at home dman who will stand up for your team and its players, then why not Smid? Guess there is a language barrier. Because at this point Smid has done more to earn the c then Ference.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Fair enough. Let's put it this way: I like giving Ference the C a lot more than I like giving him a four year contract. (To those who think his play won't drop off because he's in great shape, I have two words for you: Shawn Horcoff).

I would be surprised if his game didn't drop off. Hopefully, he can still play 3rd pairing by the end. I think that's when he'll decide it's more important that a more key player be the captain and offer to pass it on. He seems like the kind of guy who would do that.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
I would be surprised if his game didn't drop off. Hopefully, he can still play 3rd pairing by the end. I think that's when he'll decide it's more important that a more key player be the captain and offer to pass it on. He seems like the kind of guy who would do that.

Here's hoping. I'm getting more than a little tired of good-guy, boy-he-tries-hard plugs being the face and voice of this franchise. I miss the Gretzky and Messier days when the best players were the leaders. That being said, I don't see enough maturity yet in Hall for that, and with Gagner--who would have been my choice--out for months, I'm okay with the Ference decision at the moment.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
lol this is why i love the boston bruins, they've done nothing but help us as oiler fans in the past few years. sure we gave them lucic, but they beat vancouver for us handidly, and now they've given us a pretty solid captain from the likes of what their saying.

THANK U BOSTON!

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's hoping. I'm getting more than a little tired of good-guy, boy-he-tries-hard plugs being the face and voice of this franchise. I miss the Gretzky and Messier days when the best players were the leaders. That being said, I don't see enough maturity yet in Hall for that, and with Gagner--who would have been my choice--out for months, I'm okay with the Ference decision at the moment.

I'd rather see them give a younger player the captaincy and have a long reign with it. Sure, Hall isn't that mature right now, but if he had a 'C' on his sweater he certainly might take a few steps to grow up. Ference is going to be captain of this team for a maximum of, what, five years? What's the point of giving him such a short reign (relatively speaking) only to have to pass it on to someone else and again change the whole dynamic of the team.

I thought the point of bringing in a young coach like Eakins was to have someone for this team to grow up with. By that same notion, they should have a young captain that can grow with this team.

The move to make Ference captain doesn't make sense for the Oilers.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

I'm hoping he'll be a third pairing guy by next season, if only because we'll have someone better.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It's a good choice he has won the Stanley Cup and has more experience then a lot of players on the Oilers. I think he can be a leader to the younger players. Congratulations to Andrew Ference.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I am not suggesting that 20 year old captains are a good idea but it seemed to work out okay for the Hawks.

Depends on the maturity of the player. I am not sure Hall is there yet but I am betting he will be soon.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I didn't see it coming, but it's definitely a move I have no problems with. Ference seems definitely like captain material, and I'm sure he'll do a great job with the "C".

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I am not suggesting that 20 year old captains are a good idea but it seemed to work out okay for the Hawks.

Depends on the maturity of the player. I am not sure Hall is there yet but I am betting he will be soon.
Toews has been a thirty year old man since he was fifteen. He's been called "Captain Serious" for a reason.

Hall...has a lot of growing up to do to put it that way.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Ference is the perfect choice for your young team. He was our leader on and off the ice. He'll be the first guy to defend a teammate on the ice, and a guy who isn't afraid to let a teammate know if he messed up. He may not be the 'ideal' choice at this moment, but you guys want to be successful down the line right? He'll be guiding you through it. You won't be pushed around anymore. Just wait and see. Boston sent you guys a gift. Wait til its opened during the season. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->