Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The revisionist forces in this thread are strong. The threads from that time are still around. MB treated Markov like ****, no other wording for it.

Markov wanted to play in Montréal. MB could have made it work, but didn't want to. For whatever reasons. Probably by incompetence, personal animosities and lack of understanding how to structure an efficient D squad.
Truth. Our great leader went on to proclaim that our D was better and built-in his image which is fitting if you think of it. He loves the utility guys, he believes that they never got a fair shot just like himself, heck I'd even bet that he probably felt that he could have won a Norris in his playing days if he had only gotten the privilege to play for a GM like himself.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Alzner was not a priority over Markov. Alzner signed on July 1st and MB was still negotiating with Markov at the time. It wasn't until about a week and a half to two weeks later that Markov decided to leave for the KHL.

So it wasn't picking Alzner over Markov because he was trying to have both.

MB is his own worst enemy, yet again confirmed. :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The revisionist forces in this thread are strong. The threads from that time are still around. MB treated Markov like ****, no other wording for it.

Markov wanted to play in Montréal. MB could have made it work, but didn't want to. For whatever reasons. Probably by incompetence, personal animosities and lack of understanding how to structure an efficient D squad.

Good thing MB didn’t have an NHL career as a defenceman otherwise his decision-making would be even more embarrassing. :sarcasm:

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I want to see what Chiarot brings to the table while also stating that we have to explore putting Kulak in a top 4 role to see if last year was a fluke or the start of a career upswing.

I love Markov he's a masterful artist of a defenceman but I think this would be a signing at the wrong time for where this team is heading. Bergevin signing Alzner and not Markov was a huge mistake but making another one at present won't undo the past.
Kulak sucks if he's not paired with someone much better than him. His stats with Folin and Benn make me question if he belongs in the NHL to begin with. He's another Komisarek whose stats are boosted by playing with a solid partner.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

without a doubt. I was very much on the "wait and see" train at the time, but it became very clear his dealings with Markov was and always will be a dark mark for him as Habs GM.

And it speaks to Markov's character that he is clearly still wanting to play for MB and the habs.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Alzner was not a priority over Markov. Alzner signed on July 1st and MB was still negotiating with Markov at the time. It wasn't until about a week and a half to two weeks later that Markov decided to leave for the KHL.

So it wasn't picking Alzner over Markov because he was trying to have both.

Yeah Alzner was supposed to be a replacement for Emelin, less physical but better defensively. We know how this turned out. No one has really replaced Markov hence PP woes.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yeah Alzner was supposed to be a replacement for Emelin, less physical but better defensively. We know how this turned out. No one has really replaced Markov hence PP woes.
We are going into our 3rd season without Markov, and our clown GM has yet to replace him..............it would be hilarious if he brought Markov back, to replace himself!!!!
Brutal....

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Kulak sucks if he's not paired with someone much better than him. His stats with Folin and Benn make me question if he belongs in the NHL to begin with. He's another Komisarek whose stats are boosted by playing with a solid partner.

I don't agree he was a reliable partner and made smart plays more often than not. He as well as Domi were big surprises that I didn't expect to play at that high level consistently.

Also:

"While the basic stats look great, looking deeper into Kulak’s advanced metrics shows that he was quietly one of the best options on defence for Montreal this year. His three most common defence partners were Shea Weber, Jeff Petryand Jordie Benn, and all three players saw their underlying numbers improve while Kulak played with them."

Source: Brett Kulak was quietly great, now it’s time to pay him what he’s worth

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I don't agree he was a reliable partner and made smart plays more often than not. He as long as Domi were big surprises that I didn't expect to play at level consistently.

Also:

"While the basic stats look great, looking deeper into Kulak’s advanced metrics shows that he was quietly one of the best options on defence for Montreal this year. His three most common defence partners were Shea Weber, Jeff Petryand Jordie Benn, and all three players saw their underlying numbers improve while Kulak played with them."

Source: Brett Kulak was quietly great, now it’s time to pay him what he’s worth
I posted this in another thread so excuse the sarcastic undertones lol

Proposal: - Martinez to MTL

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
I say yes PTO just to show us that he deserves his 10games ( no more than that it still is 1/8 of our games)

He could teach a thing or two to Mete.

Reactions: Defangles

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
We are going into our 3rd season without Markov, and our clown GM has yet to replace him..............it would be hilarious if he brought Markov back, to replace himself!!!!
Brutal....
This. It pains me because I'd love to see him come back as a fan . But seeing him get disposed by MB like he was some non effective player 3 years ago really grinds my gears I'd rather him not come back and play for this idiot GM

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This should help shed additional light on where Markov is really at.

Bob Hartley has been coaching in Russia and has seen Markov regularly in the past two seasons and had this to say:

Hartley affirme qu'il ne croit pas que Markov ait encore ce qu'il faut pour jouer sur une base régulière dans la LNH. C'est donc dire que celui qui était déjà en perte de vitesse lors de sa dernière année à Montréal a continué de ralentir durant ses deux dernières saisons dans la KHL et tout indique que son intelligence sur la patinoire n'est plus suffisante pour compenser l'âge qui le rattrape maintenant.

Bob Hartley se prononce sur un possible retour d'Andrei Markov!

TRANSLATION: Hartley doesn't believe that Markov still has what it takes to be a regular in the NHL. In other words, Markov who was already slowing down on his last season as a Hab has only continued to slow even more during his last two KHL seasons and everything points to his hockey IQ no longer being enough to compensate for how his age is catching up to him.

Markov will turn 41 before the start of next season.

Last edited:

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

Bob Hartley has been coaching in Russia and has seen Markov regularly in the past two seasons and had this to say:

Hartley affirme qu'il ne croit pas que Markov ait encore ce qu'il faut pour jouer sur une base régulière dans la LNH. C'est donc dire que celui qui était déjà en perte de vitesse lors de sa dernière année à Montréal a continué de ralentir durant ses deux dernières saisons dans la KHL et tout indique que son intelligence sur la patinoire n'est plus suffisante pour compenser l'âge qui le rattrape maintenant.

TRANSLATION: Hartley doesn't believe that Markov still has what it takes to be a regular in the NHL. In other words, Markov who was already slowing down on his last season as a Hab has only continued to slow even more during his last two KHL seasons and everything points to his hockey IQ no longer being enough to compensate for how his age is catching up to him.

If anyone cared what Bob Hartley has to say he'd be coaching in the NHL lol :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If anyone cared what Bob Hartley has to say he'd be coaching in the NHL lol :sarcasm:

Hartley is a bit of a carnival barker but I don't think he'd lie about this. He's had the benefit of seeing him first hand for the past two KHL seasons, I think it deserves consideration.

Reactions: PhysicX

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Apparently 5 teams called for the services of Markov (True or negotiation's tactics?) that he won't have to consider taking a PTO.

7IRsQZ6.png

:sarcasm:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I read they complete opposite like one week ago in this very thread on this very board?

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I read they complete opposite like one week ago in this very thread on this very board?

Who was the source? I don't remember it.

It's an opinion from a hockey insider who has watched him directly so I would tend to lend credence to it but it could be that someone has a different take. If so, what are they relying upon? Are they credible?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Hartley is a bit of a carnival barker but I don't think he'd lie about this. He's had the benefit of seeing him first hand for the past two KHL seasons, I think it deserves consideration.
I mean..do we really need a scouting report to know a 41 year old man has slowed down and probably isn't suited to play in the NHL anymore?
Honestly though, pretty sure this assessment would be the same for Chara had he played in the KHL the past two years too.
The question isn't about whether or not he lost some speed..I mean...duh...what's left to possibly be answered is if he can adapt and make his game furthermore cerebral. Can he fit in on a 2nd pairing with 16-17 EV time and no PK usage? That's the interesting part.
Obviously Markov slowed down..don't really need Hartley or any other scout to figure that one out.

Even if Markov can't play a full season, nothing wrong with scratching him along the season as needed if he needs rest. It's not like we're going to be competing for anything anyways....give the man his 1000th game in Mtl.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I mean..do we really need a scouting report to know a 41 year old man has slowed down and probably isn't suited to play in the NHL anymore?
Honestly though, pretty sure this assessment would be the same for Chara had he played in the KHL the past two years too.
The question isn't about whether or not he lost some speed..I mean...duh...what's left to possibly be answered is if he can adapt and make his game furthermore cerebral. Can he fit in on a 2nd pairing with 16-17 EV time and no PK usage? That's the interesting part.
Obviously Markov slowed down..don't really need Hartley or any other scout to figure that one out.

Even if Markov can't play a full season, nothing wrong with scratching him along the season as needed if he needs rest. It's not like we're going to be competing for anything anyways....give the man his 1000th game in Mtl.

As much as it is a rational deduction that a soon to be 41 year old is no longer able to play the game at an acceptable level, we still saw several posts in here not seeming to accept this reality. Hartley’s comments are meant for those posts or for those who sat on the fence, not the majority view.

Also, Hartley says more than Markov has slowed down. He’s saying that Markov has slowed down to such a level that whatever attributes he still has are insufficient to overcome his shortcomings — he’s saying flat out that Markov is done. Again, may not seem earth-shattering but this flies in the face of several asserting the opposite.

Of course, it would be nice to see him get another 10 games as a Hab and end it there but Markov seems hard set at wanting to play a full season so it’s very much likely that if he gets his way, it won’t be as a Hab. Plus, as I and others have argued, it doesn’t seem like MB would entertain a Markov return — the relationship may be broken beyond repair.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
As much as it is a rational deduction that a soon to be 41 year old is no longer able to play the game at an acceptable level, we still saw several posts in here not seeming to accept this reality. Hartley’s comments are meant for those posts or for those who sat on the fence, not the majority view.

Also, Hartley says more than Markov has slowed down. He’s saying that Markov has slowed down to such a level that whatever attributes he still has are insufficient to overcome his shortcomings — he’s saying flat out that Markov is done. Again, may not seem earth-shattering but this flies in the face of several asserting the opposite.

Of course, it would be nice to see him get another 10 games as a Hab and end it there but Markov seems hard set at wanting to play a full season so it’s very much likely that if he gets his way, it won’t be as a Hab. Plus, as I and others have argued, it doesn’t seem like MB would entertain a Markov return — the relationship may be broken beyond repair.
Perhaps, but again, depends on the role hes given. I highly doubt Markov is at Mark Streit level.

If we aren't bringing anybody else..I dont mind trying it out.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, give Markov a $1.5M base salary with performance bonus structured in. He gets his 1000 games and we can shelter him. No back to back games and if it don't work out cause he is too old, bury the contract in the AHL and it only chews up $500k of our salary cap.

What's the risks? He takes ice time away from Kulak, Reilly, Mete, Chariot? Well, I think the competition for ice time is a good thing.

Reactions: Edgy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad