Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Who cares if he didn't say that...the results speak for themselves.

Do you need to feel a rain drop fall on your head to know its raining?

At the end of the day, what Bergevin says or what the Rangers write to their fans in a letter is meaningless.

What matters is action and BOTH organizations have taken steps towards their own objectives.
Err...if we are in a rebuild, Price and Weber would have been traded...

Reactions: PaulD

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
You know that the org hasn't talked to Markov? Where did you get that inside information?
You're free to believe"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" but nothing up to this point leads me to believe the organization has reached out to Markov.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
The Rangers were in a rebuild and didn't trade Lundqvist, teams can still rebuild while keeping an older veteran or two around.
He has a full NMC, Rangers asked Lundquist 2 seasons ago if he would waive it and he said no.

Fyi. Not a fan of a rebuild as i beleive we still have a good team, although I do agree that its time this organization picks a direction already and sticks with it. Simply making the playoffs and hoping for the best is unacceptable when your one of the franchises with the most resources available in the league.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
The Rangers were in a rebuild and didn't trade Lundqvist, teams can still rebuild while keeping an older veteran or two around.
Agreed. Hockey teams need to build from the net out, and there’s no replacement for Price. Had they dealt him, they’d be paying for that for years. I don’t care what young guys they get in return. It would take a while to find or develop another Price.
You think fans have been bitchy ? We haven’t seen anything had Price been dealt.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He has a full NMC, Rangers asked Lundquist 2 seasons ago if he would waive it and he said no.

Fyi. Not a fan of a rebuild as i beleive we still have a good team, although I do agree that its time this organization picks a direction already and sticks with it. Simply making the playoffs and hoping for the best is unacceptable when your one of the franchises with the most resources available in the league.
You can do both with the right drafting and development and that appears to be what they’re doing. Bergevins earlier plan didn’t work because their big issues were crappy drafting and they didn’t have the right staff in place to develop players. That meant no depth.

Let’s be honest, they should’ve made the playoffs last year. One or 2 more wins and they would’ve. They’re going on the right direction.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We have not claimed to be rebuilding, how are we the same as the Rangers? Marc Bergevin has always said "make the playoffs and anything can happen". He never once said openly that we are not good enough and need to start fresh. He has always said that he was proud of what he has done and wouldn't change a thing. "It's on me" comes to mind as well. I don't believe him and thus the reason I called him and his boss a fraud and frankly that has very little to do with any other team in the league.

As an alpha male, MB is not one for contrition, nor easily admitting that he failed.

The idea of a reset is appealing to him since it presupposes that most or a lot of what he built can be salvaged. You just don’t get to no man’s land by accident when you’re MB.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Which one was I wrong on?

It’s not about being “wrong”, it’s about a pursuit that is doomed to fail. You or I will never convince anyone of anything — this forum is all about hyperbole, doubling down and never giving in. It’s what you get with sterile, impersonal interactions involving user names and no consequences for one’s actions.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: peate

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted option 1 - yes. Few caveats:

1. Does Bergevin still have a big move up his sleeve? I know it's been quiet - but none of the RFAs minus Aho have been signed. If we're still in that market, biding our time and potentially will make a move - than sorry Markov, but no. Even though the RFA/Offer sheet is a longshot, i'd rather take that gamble and end up with no one then not be able to if we add 2M$ more in cap space.

2. How good is Markov today? I assume Habs scouts and such know enough to make that valuation and say yes. If they are somehow unsure/have not watched or followed him enough past 2 years - PTO is better option. But i somehow doubt that's the case. I also feel pretty confident Markov should be able to play top 4 minutes very well in the NHL, unless he's declined at a rate that's much bigger than you normally see.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
You can do both with the right drafting and development and that appears to be what they’re doing. Bergevins earlier plan didn’t work because their big issues were crappy drafting and they didn’t have the right staff in place to develop players. That meant no depth.

Let’s be honest, they should’ve made the playoffs last year. One or 2 more wins and they would’ve. They’re going on the right direction.

In normal circumstances I'd agree although I have high doubt that our management has the ability to do so. I'm not even a Bergevin hater (love the Weber and even Drouin trade), it's just that in his history as a GM he hasn't done much to improve this team and seems to move latterly in terms of the teams chances to win a Cup.

And let's be honest every team around us during the trade deadline made moves to become better. We did not and were left behind. It's that simple and that is entirely on the GM as even if we had a minutely better back up goalie an extra 2-3 points would have been very likely. Columbus traded a 5th for Kinkaid, could we not have done the same or offered a 4th?

As for prospects, although we continuously seem to have great prospects drafted by Timmins, although they continue to fail. If that's a result of development or lackluster projections its still continuously occurs with us. Just look at this list of our Top Prospects of 2015/2016... A lot of High hopes on these lists and only 2 became semi-regular NHL'ers and Sergachev. Even Lekhonen is 1 lackluster season away from not even being protected in the Expansion Draft:

2015:
1. Scherbak
2. McCaron
3. Fucale
4. Juulsen
5. Hudon
6. Reway
7. Pateryn
8. Andrighetto
9. Carr
10. Dietz

2016:
1. Sergachev
2. McCaron
3. Lehkonen
4. Juulsen
5. Scherbak
6. Hudon
7. Martin Reway
8. Charlie Lindgren
9. Daniel Carr
10. Will Bitten

...Hope i'm wrong tho

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Agreed. Hockey teams need to build from the net out, and there’s no replacement for Price. Had they dealt him, they’d be paying for that for years. I don’t care what young guys they get in return. It would take a while to find or develop another Price.
You think fans have been *****y ? We haven’t seen anything had Price been dealt.

Pittsburg twice and St Louis last year did just the opposite. The tender was the final piece. Remember Penny?

IMO Price could be a final piece but going elsewhere.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
In normal circumstances I'd agree although I have high doubt that our management has the ability to do so. I'm not even a Bergevin hater (love the Weber and even Drouin trade), it's just that in his history as a GM he hasn't done much to improve this team and seems to move latterly in terms of the teams chances to win a Cup.

And let's be honest every team around us during the trade deadline made moves to become better. We did not and were left behind. It's that simple and that is entirely on the GM as even if we had a minutely better back up goalie an extra 2-3 points would have been very likely. Columbus traded a 5th for Kinkaid, could we not have done the same or offered a 4th?

As for prospects, although we continuously seem to have great prospects drafted by Timmins, although they continue to fail. If that's a result of development or lackluster projections its still continuously occurs with us. Just look at this list of our Top Prospects of 2015/2016... A lot of High hopes on these lists and only 2 became semi-regular NHL'ers and Sergachev. Even Lekhonen is 1 lackluster season away from not even being protected in the Expansion Draft:

2015:
1. Scherbak
2. McCaron
3. Fucale
4. Juulsen
5. Hudon
6. Reway
7. Pateryn
8. Andrighetto
9. Carr
10. Dietz

2016:
1. Sergachev
2. McCaron
3. Lehkonen
4. Juulsen
5. Scherbak
6. Hudon
7. Martin Reway
8. Charlie Lindgren
9. Daniel Carr
10. Will Bitten

...Hope i'm wrong tho
I have to disagree. I think the development is looking very promising with the coaching staff changes that they’ve made. AHL development has been a disaster and I think it’s well on its way to being a major strength.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Pittsburg twice and St Louis last year did just the opposite. The tender was the final piece. Remember Penny?

IMO Price could be a final piece but going elsewhere.
There’s always a case where a guy stands on his head for a season and comes out of no where. . However, those guys don’t always have the longevity.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I would've signed Markov instead of Chiarot...

With the expansion draft coming, very minimal likelihood we retain him, and for what we needed on the back end, the fit wasn't great.

Mete, Kulak, Markov, Reilly +1.5M would've been better short & long term than slotting Chiarot in

But at this point, unless Reilly or Kulak get traded last minute, no room for the general

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

2015:
1. Scherbak
2. McCaron
3. Fucale
4. Juulsen
5. Hudon
6. Reway
7. Pateryn
8. Andrighetto
9. Carr
10. Dietz

2016:
1. Sergachev
2. McCaron
3. Lehkonen
4. Juulsen
5. Scherbak
6. Hudon
7. Martin Reway
8. Charlie Lindgren
9. Daniel Carr
10. Will Bitten

...Hope i'm wrong tho

Some of these guys were not drafted but signed from the NCAA as UFAs like Carr and Lindgren. As for Pateryn, he was acquired through trade.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would offer him a PTO for sure.

I just highly doubt he's still good enough. It would be like watching Plekanec on his last legs: not pretty to watch.

Plus, MB seems like type to hold a grudge. I think hexstill has one towards PK.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Probably because if Markov was an option it is such a simple thing for MB not to f*** up a second time that hiring an agent like Walsh wouldnt be necessary. Not signing Markov in 2017 and making Alzner a priority was such a colossal f*** up that if MB wanted to get Markov he would have done it quick and easy.

Reactions: DangerDave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->