Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Probably because if Markov was an option it is such a simple thing for MB not to **** up a second time that hiring an agent like Walsh wouldnt be necessary. Not signing Markov in 2017 and making Alzner a priority was such a colossal **** up that if MB wanted to get Markov he would have done it quick and easy.

Alzner was not a priority over Markov. Alzner signed on July 1st and MB was still negotiating with Markov at the time. It wasn't until about a week and a half to two weeks later that Markov decided to leave for the KHL.

So it wasn't picking Alzner over Markov because he was trying to have both.

Reactions: Acadien86

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Alzner was not a priority over Markov. Alzner signed on July 1st and MB was still negotiating with Markov at the time. It wasn't until about a week and a half to two weeks later that Markov decided to leave for the KHL.

So it wasn't picking Alzner over Markov because he was trying to have both.
One guy was wined and dined about Montreal and overpaid by 23 million dollars and signed the minute free agency opened. The other left hanging, told between him and Radulov first come first served. How wasnt Alzner a priority?

Reactions: Edgy and the

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I have to disagree. I think the development is looking very promising with the coaching staff changes that they’ve made. AHL development has been a disaster and I think it’s well on its way to being a major strength.

Although I like the new AHL staff, I remember after Bergevin's 1st year people were talking about how the best moves he made were all the development/scouting staff changes he made.

So maybe this time we should wait and see.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I loved Markov when he was here but this nonsense has gotta stop.

If memory serves me MB offered him one season with easily achievable bonuses to get his 5 mil. Markov was the one who refused it. His reason: he had two young boys in his custody and didn't want to place them in a Canadian school for one year and then move them to a Russian school the next. He wanted two years. As if moving them after two years was any easier. Fine, I accepted his reasoning. Good luck, Markie. You have to think about your family.

After two years in the KHL, you have to ask yourself why won't any KHL team sign him? Or give him the money he is looking for? He's only asking for two mil. Maybe because he's way, way past his prime. He made his announcement a few months ago about returning to North America and I don't see any NHL team tripping over themselves to sign him.

Yet many posters are using Markov as a stick to hit over MB's head. And what's funny some of those very posters wanted Markov gone after his knee operation and Gauthier signed him to a long term contract. This sort of irony happens only on HF.

MB has made many screw-ups. Not signing Markov to a two-year deal was not one of them and not taking a flyer on him now is also not one of them.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

If memory serves me MB offered him one season with easily achievable bonuses to get his 5 mil. Markov was the one who refused it. His reason: he had two young boys in his custody and didn't want to place them in a Canadian school for one year and then move them to a Russian school the next. He wanted two years. As if moving them after two years was any easier. Fine, I accepted his reasoning. Good luck, Markie. You have to think about your family.

After two years in the KHL, you have to ask yourself why won't any KHL team sign him? Or give him the money he is looking for? He's only asking for two mil. Maybe because he's way, way past his prime. He made his announcement a few months ago about returning to North America and I don't see any NHL team tripping over themselves to sign him.

Yet many posters are using Markov as a stick to hit over MB's head. And what's funny some of those very posters wanted Markov gone after his knee operation and Gauthier signed him to a long term contract. This sort of irony happens only on HF.

MB has made many screw-ups. Not signing Markov to a two-year deal was not one of them and not taking a flyer on him now is also not one of them.

It is well known that Markov accepted to get a 1 year deal, the bonuses was the problem.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

Link or source?

Because this is the first time I'm hearing of this kids school stuff. What I heard was Markov said he accepted a 1 year offer and Beregvin never bothered to get back to him.

Reactions: LaP

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009

Markov himself said he wants to prove he can still play at NHL level, and secondarily 1000 games.

Lots of people said things in the past that are proven wrong or are straight up ridiculous. Bergevin himself said going into the 2017-18 season that the defence was better, and you agreed with him. I cant imagine you still think that now.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
One guy was wined and dined about Montreal and overpaid by 23 million dollars and signed the minute free agency opened. The other left hanging, told between him and Radulov first come first served. How wasnt Alzner a priority?

Because one wasn't negotiated instead of the other. Habs were negotiating with both.

If Markov accepted a deal on July 5th, would you still consider Alzner the priority because he signed on July 1st?

And the dumb move there was Markov representing himself. His pride surely took a hit when MB was negotiating with him as an agent. Lo and behold, Markov wants to return to the NHL and what does he do? He hires an agent.

Reactions: 417

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Because one wasn't negotiated instead of the other. Habs were negotiating with both.

If Markov accepted a deal on July 5th, would you still consider Alzner the priority because he signed on July 1st?

And the dumb move there was Markov representing himself. His pride surely took a hit when MB was negotiating with him as an agent. Lo and behold, Markov wants to return to the NHL and what does he do? He hires an agent.
Markov didnt sign on July 5th, MB told the world on July 2nd first come first served between him and Radulov. Even after losing out on Radulov MB didnt go get Markov. MB could have signed Markov well before July 1st.

He hires an agent because now he is 2 years older and is willing to play for more NHL teams than just the Habs. In 2017 he was not willing to play for any team but the Habs or back in Russia. Now Markov basically has to sell himself because of being out of the league for 2 years and being 40+. Markov should not have had to sell himself to the Habs in 2017, especially over the likes of Karl f***ing Alzner.

Edit: Bruins signed Chara to 6.75 mill (5 mill guaranteed and bonuses above that) contract extension on Mar 28 2018, for the 2018-19 season, was he worth that? No way but it sure is a sign of respect to a leader on their team that was worth more than his pay in some earlier years. the Bruins had way more of a cap crunch than the Habs ever were. I hate the Bruins more than most but that is how you treat your best defenceman from the previous 10+ years.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Link or source?

Because this is the first time I'm hearing of this kids school stuff. What I heard was Markov said he accepted a 1 year offer and Beregvin never bothered to get back to him.
He said it in a presser that was broadcasted on TSN 690. Go on their site and check.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Markov didnt sign on July 5th, MB told the world on July 2nd first come first served between him and Radulov. Even after losing out on Radulov MB didnt go get Markov. MB could have signed Markov well before July 1st.

The point I'm making is that you said earlier that Habs prioritized Alzner over Markov. You're wrong there.

They were talking with Markov before they signed Alzner and they were talking to Markov even after they signed Alzner. Just because one signed in the dotted line and the other didn't doesn't mean they picked one over the other.

He hires an agent because now he is 2 years older and is willing to play for more NHL teams than just the Habs. In 2017 he was not willing to play for any team but the Habs or back in Russia. Now Markov basically has to sell himself because of being out of the league for 2 years and being 40+. Markov should not have had to sell himself to the Habs in 2017, especially over the likes of Karl ****ing Alzner.

You're damn right he needed to sell himself last time around, too. Players have agents for a reason, even when they keep signing an extension with the same team over and over. They don't suddenly represent themselves because they no longer need to sell themselves.

Bruins signed Chara to 6.75 mill (5 mill guaranteed and bonuses above that) contract extension on Mar 28 2018, for the 2018-19 season, was he worth that? No way but it sure is a sign of respect to a leader on their team that was worth more than his pay in some earlier years. the Bruins had way more of a cap crunch than the Habs ever were. I hate the Bruins more than most but that is how you treat your best defenceman from the previous 10+ years.

The kind of deal that Chara signed with Bruins two years ago and this past year was EXACTLY the kind of deal Montreal offered Markov. Guaranteed money with a bunch of performance bonuses. The kind of deal Markov refused because he wanted a guaranteed full amount.

Reactions: 417 and stanley25

Vodka_Tonic

Sep 30, 2006
Zürich
The revisionist forces in this thread are strong. The threads from that time are still around. MB treated Markov like shit, no other wording for it.

Markov wanted to play in Montréal. MB could have made it work, but didn't want to. For whatever reasons. Probably by incompetence, personal animosities and lack of understanding how to structure an efficient D squad.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
The point I'm making is that you said earlier that Habs prioritized Alzner over Markov. You're wrong there.

They were talking with Markov before they signed Alzner and they were talking to Markov even after they signed Alzner. Just because one signed in the dotted line and the other didn't doesn't mean they picked one over the other.

You're damn right he needed to sell himself last time around, too. Players have agents for a reason, even when they keep signing an extension with the same team over and over. They don't suddenly represent themselves because they no longer need to sell themselves.

The kind of deal that Chara signed with Bruins two years ago and this past year was EXACTLY the kind of deal Montreal offered Markov. Guaranteed money with a bunch of performance bonuses. The kind of deal Markov refused because he wanted a guaranteed full amount.

Markov, the habs best defenceman for however many years needs to sell himself to the Habs?

Chara received 5 mill guaranteed, that was the max value of the contract offered to Markov, including bonuses. I believe only 3.25 was guaranteed but perhaps I am wrong on the amount, I thought I saw it reported somewhere but cant find it. The point wasnt about the money, it was about how early they took care of it.

If Markov was equal priority then why wasnt he signed after Radulov was off the board? Friedman reported at the time that he believed MB asked Markov to wait until September. Arpon Basu also tweeted that Markov had NHL options, or could wait until September or October. Not sure about you but asking a guy to wait until September doesnt seem like something you do to a person who was of a similar priority to Alzner. Makes it seem like an insurance policy in the event he can not do anything, which he didnt.

Last edited:

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Although I like the new AHL staff, I remember after Bergevin's 1st year people were talking about how the best moves he made were all the development/scouting staff changes he made.

So maybe this time we should wait and see.
Ya but when you hear the players praising the new staff, that’s super encouraging. I don’t think the same thing happened with guys like Lefebvre. Plus, the young talent level is so much higher than it was. Both in the NHL and AHL (and minors). Most of the guys we had in the pipeline back then aren’t even in the league!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's probably too slow and Bergevin probably holds a grudge from the way he left - plus Bergevin is mainly looking to get younger and faster.

It doesn't seem like a good match.

No way Markov will take away ice time Chiarot, Mete, and Kulak. If Juulsen isn't ready, MAYBE MB considers bringing Markov in. But the chances of that happening are obviously between slim and none.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
The revisionist forces in this thread are strong. The threads from that time are still around. MB treated Markov like ****, no other wording for it.

Markov wanted to play in Montréal. MB could have made it work, but didn't want to. For whatever reasons. Probably by incompetence, personal animosities and lack of understanding how to structure an efficient D squad.
Revisionist history is suggesting "Markov wanted to play in Montreal" but MB was unwilling.
There was a 1 year deal on the table - reportedly for +/- $5 million from the habs. Markov wanted two years to stay in North America. There were several news reports that other NHL teams approached Markov as well, but none would give him the second year he was looking for. So Markov signed the 2 year deal he was looking for...in the KHL.
If Markov wanted to stay in Montreal he would have.
I'm sure at some point Markov realized he made a mistake going to the KHL but that's not Bergevin's fault. Me, I don't think that offering a 38 year old defenceman who looked slow af in his most recent playoff series against the Rangers $5 million to play one more season equates to treating him "like ****".

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Too much Russia-phobia from Habs Management. Long gone are the days of Kovalev, Markov, Kosts, Emelin, Rads, etc...Maybe he can play with PK in NJ.

Reactions: CountKong

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Revisionist history is suggesting "Markov wanted to play in Montreal" but MB was unwilling.
There was a 1 year deal on the table - reportedly for +/- $5 million from the habs. Markov wanted two years to stay in North America. There were several news reports that other NHL teams approached Markov as well, but none would give him the second year he was looking for. So Markov signed the 2 year deal he was looking for...in the KHL.
If Markov wanted to stay in Montreal he would have.
I'm sure at some point Markov realized he made a mistake going to the KHL but that's not Bergevin's fault. Me, I don't think that offering a 38 year old defenceman who looked slow af in his most recent playoff series against the Rangers $5 million to play one more season equates to treating him "like ****".
There were no reports of teams not offering him 2 years. Only that there was interest and Markov refused to talk to any other team.
38 year old defenceman who looked slow af in his most recent playoff series against the Rangers $5 million to play one more season
But paying Karl Alzner who was slow af and utterly useless in Washington 6mil to play in the AHL was just dandy? And how about taking on the monster contract that is Shea Weber? Tell me again how fast Weber is?
Bergevin wouldn't even talk to or negotiate Markov or Radulov, he literally told them it's a "take it or leave it offer''. He the went on to blame him for not having an agent. So no he couldn't have stayed in Montreal if he wanted. Markov would have still been our best option at LHD and probably still is.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I've changed my mind on this. I say we give him a deal and if he can't play he can't play, and he gets ~2m to be a presence in the room and a wealth of knowledge for Mete/Juulsen/Brook etc.

Seriously, I'd rather give him a shot than anyone else, and while unlikely it's not impossible he can still play.

I would hate to have him go to some other team to be a #7 guy without the respect he would get here on the Habs. Especially after he's shown a number of times he bleeds bleu blanc et rouge.

Reactions: Edgy

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I've changed my mind on this. I say we give him a deal and if he can't play he can't play, and he gets ~2m to be a presence in the room and a wealth of knowledge for Mete/Juulsen/Brook etc.

Seriously, I'd rather give him a shot than anyone else, and while unlikely it's not impossible he can still play.

I would hate to have him go to some other team to be a #7 guy without the respect he would get here on the Habs. Especially after he's shown a number of times he bleeds bleu blanc et rouge.

I want to see what Chiarot brings to the table while also stating that we have to explore putting Kulak in a top 4 role to see if last year was a fluke or the start of a career upswing.

I love Markov he's a masterful artist of a defenceman but I think this would be a signing at the wrong time for where this team is heading. Bergevin signing Alzner and not Markov was a huge mistake but making another one at present won't undo the past.

Last edited:

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I think this would be a signing at the wrong time for where this team is going.

How so? What is the downside of having him as a #7 who will teach the young guys and who knows may end up being useful. It's 2 million in lost cap space for this year. I'm not trying to sign him to a multi-year deal.

We can still run Mete, Kulak, Chiarot in whatever combination works, but now if we have an injury or if things don't go to plan we have him back there to play a few games.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
How so? What is the downside of having him as a #7 who will teach the young guys and who knows may end up being useful. It's 2 million in lost cap space for this year. I'm not trying to sign him to a multi-year deal.

We can still run Mete, Kulak, Chiarot in whatever combination works, but now if we have an injury or if things don't go to plan we have him back there to play a few games.

If I'm playing the Devil's advocate, who says he wants to be Habs 7th D?

He wants to play I'm assuming riding the pine while mentoring may sound fun for the Habs but doesn't sound like what Markov would want based on the interviews and articles seen this summer.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
If I'm playing the Devil's advocate, who says he wants to be Habs 7th D?

He wants to play I'm assuming riding the pine while mentoring may sound fun for the Habs but doesn't sound like what Markov would want based on the interviews and articles seen this summer.

Played 21 minutes a night in the KHL last year, I think it's a safe bet he wouldn't want to ride the pine in Montreal

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Bergevin wouldn't even talk to or negotiate Markov or Radulov, he literally told them it's a "take it or leave it offer''.
When Radulov came back for his first game for Dallas at the Bell Centre he gave a fairly lengthy press conference where he confirmed that Bergevin tried quite hard to sign him over an extended period that began in November of 2017 and lasted 8 months, right up until the day Radulov signed with Dallas. So it defies credulity to say that MB refused to talk or negotiate.

I think the most likely reason why Bergevin made his 'take it or leave it' remark is that he realized neither player was still seriously negotiating with him and were both likely moving on from Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->