News Article: Andlauer sells the Bulldogs to the Habs. Team moves to St. John for 2 years.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
I really hope St. John really is a stopgap measure...

When the Bulldogs move to Laval they will surely be renamed. What nom would be suitable? (Actually, i'd like the villle itself to be renamed. Reminds me of Pierre Laval, the detestable French Nazi collaborator who headed the infamous Vichy government. during WW II.

The city is named not after the head of the Vichy government during WW2 but after Mgr. Laval (after whom the university in Quebec City is named as well, and who actually founded it) who was New France's first bishop, way back during the 17th century.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Some friends and I were discussing this tonight.
It occurred to me that the price of tickets would be interesting to say the least when the bulldogs finally set up in Laval.
What does the Armada charge? I don't see Laval tickets going for less, do you?

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Personally, the farther the AHL team is from the Habs, the better. Preferably far away from a big city as well. Simply because there would be less distractions, less media pressure (well if in Quebec) and a small community culture would probably foster a better team learning facility. Similar to the Toronto Maple Leafs...who's AHL team plays in the Leafs backyard... From what I hear, it's been a disaster compared to when the were in the coast (yes, yes, I know they have been a disaster regardless).

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Personally, the farther the AHL team is from the Habs, the better. Preferably far away from a big city as well. Simply because there would be less distractions, less media pressure (well if in Quebec) and a small community culture would probably foster a better team learning facility. Similar to the Toronto Maple Leafs...who's AHL team plays in the Leafs backyard... From what I hear, it's been a disaster compared to when the were in the coast (yes, yes, I know they have been a disaster regardless).

it certainly didn't seem to work poorly when the farm team was in Halifax and Fredericton.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Montreal is building a arena in Laval pretty sure there going to have their AHL team there... I'm guessing that they need to make the move to then actually transfer the franchise to Laval (probably just can't build a arena and create a team to put in it at will) but seem weird to make the transition for 1 year since St-John NFDL is probably the worst place to have a farm team. Just stay in Hamilton and when the time come buy the NFLD franchise and move it to Laval...
-The extra travel to NFLD, and to basically every other city has to cut into practice reste or work out time...
-Extra cost (travel/hotel) to operate the team/ extra cost to every other team
-It basically easier/convenient to catch any away game for the Mtl staff than it would be to catch a any home game.
-Also if you want to have a solid team and a good enviroment for your prospect you need good veteran player, I'm guessing it is harder to sign someone to play in NFLD than basically any other AHL city...
-St-John might be a smaller city but the team is a pretty big deal, it just as easy or even easier to get into trouble as it would be anywhere else... come back to the team enviroment.

Last edited:

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Good point. Might be it. The city might actually tell the fans to prove they could carry a AHL team and that the Dogs experience is a good test to see if they can have another permanent AHL team. Might bring a lot of fans in the stands.

The city has a long history of ahl hockey, the fans have always come out, they had the st john's maple leafs for a long time, they ran the town people loved them. Untill the leafs wanted their ahl team to be closer. Same with the peg team that's there now they do awesome fan support wise but it's a long trip to the peg from st john's. It's not so bad to Montreal. I took a plane to Toronto and it was 2h 45min so whats it to Montreal an hour less? 1:45 to 2 hour plane ride isn't too bad. One thing is true though it is more travel then having a team in Hamilton. It didn't seem to hurt the team in their first season in 2011 they made it to the eastern conference championship and in 2014 they made it to the Calder Cup Finals.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montreal is building a arena in Laval pretty sure there going to have their AHL team there... I'm guessing that they need to make the move to then actually transfer the franchise to Laval (probably just can't build a arena and create a team to put in it at will) but seem weird to make the transition for 1 year since St-John NFDL is probably the worst place to have a farm team. Just stay in Hamilton and when the time come buy the NFLD franchise and move it to Laval...
-The extra travel to NFLD, and to basically every other city has to cut into practice reste or work out time...
-Extra cost (travel/hotel) to operate the team/ extra cost to every other team
-It basically easier/convenient to catch any away game for the Mtl staff than it would be to catch a any home game.
-Also if you want to have a solid team and a good enviroment for your prospect you need good veteran player, I'm guessing it is harder to sign someone to play in NFLD than basically any other AHL city...
-St-John might be a smaller city but the team is a pretty big deal, it just as easy or even easier to get into trouble as it would be anywhere else... come back to the team enviroment.

This has been done deal for quite some time. Here is a link to post I put on here back in November. Imagine it was done long before I got wind of it. I heard it from an inside source, been a few months ago now, can't remember exact terms but recall Habs got sweetheart of a deal. I remember direct flights between St.John's and Montreal being a factor, virtually eliminates travel. The city of St. John's pays the airfare, also pays large franchise fees to Habs. There were other terms but can't remember what they were.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=92549011&highlight=john#post92549011

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

The problem with the Bulldogs in Hamilton is their location. Hamilton is too close to Toronto and there are more Leaf fans than Habs fans in Hamilton, if the Marlies played in Hamilton they'd be getting much better attendance. The Marlies in Toronto should be better, but Toronto are NHL or nothing, they're all men in 3 piece suits and would never be seen at an AHL game.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Looks legit :sarcasm:

I live in Hamilton and it does look legit. No one from the Bulldogs has confirmed it, but it looks like the Bulldogs won't be in Hamilton next fall. It sounds like they'll be in St. Johns for a few years and move to Laval when a new arena is ready.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I live in Hamilton and it does look legit. No one from the Bulldogs has confirmed it, but it looks like the Bulldogs won't be in Hamilton next fall. It sounds like they'll be in St. Johns for a few years and move to Laval when a new arena is ready.

Laval makes the most sense down the road, for the next year or two they could have simply stayed in Hamilton but I'm sure they wanted a longer contract. I guess St. Johns it will be for 1 year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Perhaps we will hear more on it after today/tonight's supposed meeting with AHL board of governs, as I believe they are set to discuss it at some point so hopefully we'll know more by tomorrow.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
I think one of the big benefit to the Dogs moving to Laval in the future is that there will be more games televised by either TVA or RDS.

I don't think I have seen one Dogs game televised this year (outside of Hamilton market of course).

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Can Laval even support an AHL team?

They can, but I doubt we see many people going to the games. Montrealers won't really care IMO. Habs will have to work with young hockey teams and things like that to be able to move tickets for very cheap!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Sounds like it's going to be official soon

Hamilton=no AHL team; get the OHL Belleville Bulls
Bulldogs play in St John's next year; Icecaps play in Winnipeg for their new AHL team
2017=most likely Laval becomes an AHL farm club for the Canadiens
2018=Hamilton NHL team

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I would go to a few games in Laval if/when they move there. Provided that tickets are cheap, of course. I much rather watch the Baby Habs than junior hockey.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
One thing I'm happy about them leaving Hamilton for is hopefully better cameras.

HabsDieHard*

Sounds like it's going to be official soon

Hamilton=no AHL team; get the OHL Belleville Bulls
Bulldogs play in St John's next year; Icecaps play in Winnipeg for their new AHL team
2017=most likely Laval becomes an AHL farm club for the Canadiens
2018=Hamilton NHL team

Why would the NHL move a team to Hamilton when there are countless other areas that make far more sense?

68*

They can, but I doubt we see many people going to the games. Montrealers won't really care IMO. Habs will have to work with young hockey teams and things like that to be able to move tickets for very cheap!

Lavallois and Montréalais probably have the same mentality though. It's Habs or nothing for most people. Just look at the MTL Rocket and Junior.

If Nygren was too fragile/didn't like Hamilton what is he gonna think of Laval though?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Why would the NHL move a team to Hamilton when there are countless other areas that make far more sense?

I'm not sure they'll get one but Hamilton would make the most sense for a second Southern Ontario team. It's not actually inside Toronto which gives it an advantage over Markham.

Lavallois and Montréalais probably have the same mentality though. It's Habs or nothing for most people. Just look at the MTL Rocket and Junior.

If Nygren was too fragile/didn't like Hamilton what is he gonna think of Laval though?

Nygren is 25 this June, he's not going to be in the AHL in three years.

HabsDieHard*

I don't get why people always say that.

The place that makes the most sense for a third Ontario team is the Air Canada Centre.

MLSE would probably take issue with this, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation.

In any event, it makes way more senes for the league to pursue other areas for expansion/relocation.

Las Vegas, Kansas City, Seattle...another successful team in Canada really doesn't do much for the league as a whole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad