News Article: Andlauer sells the Bulldogs to the Habs. Team moves to St. John for 2 years.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
When is the arena in Laval be ready anyway?

http://lavalnews.ca/article/Laval-Construction-begins-on-Place-Bell-222006

Started last October, opens fall 2017

The arena is by the Montmorecy subway station so players don't even need a car if they get called up.

carte-place-bell-v2.jpg

827264-total-projet-devait-totaliser-152.jpg

Edit : Started in November sorry.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/montreal/2014/11/24/006-ceremonie-officielle-place-bell.shtml

Déjà en 2012, Geoff Molson promettait la tenue de matchs pré-saison du Canadien à la Place Bell, de même que la venue d'une équipe de hockey professionnelle. Une promesse réitérée lors des cérémonies officielles le lundi 24 novembre 2014.

Geoff Molson promised pre-season games and a pro hockey team in '12 and again last November.

Last edited:

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
It seems Hamilton is getting OHL team so that's why we need to move our affiliate.

St. John's for 2 years and after in Laval is a good deal IMO.

I would like to see which OHL team as it's always been rumored to be erie but they just did a crap load of arena changes to make it a top rink so curious to see which one

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This sucks. I got to see them win the Calder cup a few years back because they were in the neighbourhood.

Booo!

Analyzer*

The players don't have to ride the bus. I believe I read that St. John's has a private plane.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
st jhons is not a 30hr car ride lol. More like 10-12.

hahah pretty sure you got the towns mixed up. You need more than 12 hours just to make it to the ferry, which is less than half way. (and that ferry is NOT on roids).

Could be a success there, anything that makes it there gets massive support im sure. Just the big Michael ryder poster in bonavista alone will give you a good idea. (and a respectful laugh :laugh:)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't know why Montreal moved their farm club so far away. You'll think advantage in keeping them close. When I was growing up the Aces were in Quebec, then the Voyageurs moved to Halifax for long time. Then to Fredicton, Hamlton or now St'John's.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There is an article in the paper down here in Newfoundland and the reporter is speculating that the dogs may come here for a couple seasons and then move to Laval when the stadium is done.

Why do that though? So a city like St.John would accept pro hockey for 2 years only? I hope they have something else after 'cause I don't see why we'd move 2 times in 2 years....My prediction would be that it would take longer than that for Laval to be ready.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
When the Bulldogs move to Laval they will surely be renamed. What nom would be suitable? (Actually, i'd like the villle itself to be renamed. Reminds me of Pierre Laval, the detestable French Nazi collaborator who headed the infamous Vichy government. during WW II.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I hope this happens but St. John's is a great city. Has a unique character and it really isn't that far by air.

Will be good for the Scandinavians it has fjords and ice berg.

... too bad for hamilton though.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
When the Bulldogs move to Laval they will surely be renamed. What nom would be suitable? (Actually, i'd like the villle itself to be renamed. Reminds me of Pierre Laval, the detestable French Nazi collaborator who headed the infamous Vichy government. during WW II.

Well the whole Vichy thing didn't stop Mitterrand from having a successful career afterwards you know :sarcasm: ....

P.S: I'm kidding by the way, I never get to make a good historian joke so I couldn't resist. Laval was indeed quite the despicable man ;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Why do that though? So a city like St.John would accept pro hockey for 2 years only? I hope they have something else after 'cause I don't see why we'd move 2 times in 2 years....My prediction would be that it would take longer than that for Laval to be ready.

If the Habs plan on moving to Laval in 2 years, surely it would be worked out with St.John before hand. I'm sure they could also work something out in case the rink isn't ready for the start of the 2017-2018 season.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland

Because they knew they were going to lose the team they have now and they tried to get I believe the islanders and/or Devils to move their ahl team there as a permanent team but couldn't come to a deal. Moving the dogs there for 2-3 years allows more time to find a permanent team.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Because they knew they were going to lose the team they have now and they tried to get I believe the islanders and/or Devils to move their ahl team there as a permanent team but couldn't come to a deal. Moving the dogs there for 2-3 years allows more time to find a permanent team.

Good point. Might be it. The city might actually tell the fans to prove they could carry a AHL team and that the Dogs experience is a good test to see if they can have another permanent AHL team. Might bring a lot of fans in the stands.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
moneybags in NL was leasing the Jets affiliate and was said to be aggressively trying to buy a team. guess maybe he bought the bulldogs?

also, doesn't the owner of the oil manage the arena in hamilton? this article suggests the oil were moving their affiliate to california but maybe they're going back to hamilton.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/12/18/with-no-okc-barons-next-year-oilers-will-likely-move-ahl-team-to-bakersfield

And there was this article on Katz using Hamilton and its 3rd world rink in a mall as leverage (surely, even Edmontonians could see through that given that Hamilton and "First Ontario" are below even Colonial League levels), as well as the litigious machinations:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...nderside-of-sports-ownership/article22646466/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad