News Article: Andlauer sells the Bulldogs to the Habs. Team moves to St. John for 2 years.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
This is a great move, well for me living in Newfoundland, but seriously it's a great fan base nice stadium and it's not that far via plane from Montreal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I can tell you guys one thing, if this is true, your prospects will experience something very close to the NHL experience in terms of atmosphere playing at Mile One in St. John's.

On a Saturday night for Ice Caps games the building is rocking. 6000 + sold out. Lively crowd, great acoustics, the sound just vibrates the arena. NHL quality lights and presentation for the player entrances. Just an all-around great atmosphere to play in. Hard to imagine many AHL arena's today can come close to atmosphere of a packed house at Mile One. Having the farm team of a popular franchise like Montreal will only help. Not many Jets fans in Newfoundland, lots of Hab fans.

Oct 22, 2012
When rumours started making their rounds last year that Winnipeg were moving their farm team to MTS center, a report came out stating something along the lines that the current ownership group of the ice caps retain the rights to the team name and any future team will be called the ice caps. Kinda like Syracuse did a few years ago I think.

This makes sense business wise, even on a Monday night Mile One Center would be rocking with a sellout crowd. Flights between St. Johns and MTL are roughly 3 hours, nothing that will jet lag a call up, emergency basis calls never happen so I doubt that argument gets much weight in these decisions. Plus I can actually make out players numbers on the Ice Caps feeds and the play by play is great. Would love for them to get HD cams going, they certainly can afford it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I can tell you guys one thing, if this is true, your prospects will experience something very close to the NHL experience in terms of atmosphere playing at Mile One in St. John's.

On a Saturday night for Ice Caps games the building is rocking. 6000 + sold out. Lively crowd, great acoustics, the sound just vibrates the arena. NHL quality lights and presentation for the player entrances. Just an all-around great atmosphere to play in. Hard to imagine many AHL arena's today can come close to atmosphere of a packed house at Mile One. Having the farm team of a popular franchise like Montreal will only help. Not many Jets fans in Newfoundland, lots of Hab fans.

Thanks for the insight. Didn't knew about that. Kudos to the Newfoundlanders. :yo:

You have a very good point about the importance of a good atmosphere. Went to Hamilton a few times and it's a 'meh' place at best.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This is a great move, well for me living in Newfoundland, but seriously it's a great fan base nice stadium and it's not that far via plane from Montreal.

It's not ideal to have a farm team in a market where its not uncommon for flights to be delayed or even cancelled due to fog.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
HABitual Fan who posted this on the OHL section has a good point

Considering that Andlauer is a partner in the Canadiens I doubt the Canadiens pulled their AHL team before he has something in place for the lease he has in Hamilton.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
5x2ByM1.jpg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

sounds good for the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad