Confirmed with Link: Anderson traded for Domi (UPD: signed, 2 yrs, $5.3m/yr)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Although a one game sample I think it is a very small bit indicative of how Torts' system hinders the offensive abilities of some guys. If Andy continues to put up goals and A's it will add to the evidence. William Karlsson will be a witness for the prosecution.
Just small enough to where Torts could get some blame. I mean one goal, while a nice shot and definitely the shot to take, deflected in off the post and could have easily deflected out, and the other because the goalie failed to control the save, it is because Tort's style hampered him? Josh played a decent game, played exactly like he did here. His style fits Tort's style. I don't believe it is at all indicative of someone being held back.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm been a Habs fan since my father put the toddler on his shoulder and watched cup parades from the late 50s.

I've seen a lot of Hab superstars but the one that stand out are the tough guys with speed and hands. Maurice Richard was a God in that department. Last one we had was John LeClair, a name that probably means nothing to most of you. He was the same size, same speed, same hands and same nasty disposition as Anderson. He was traded and formed the Legion of Doom with Lindros. He went from a 19 and 19 goals to 51-50-51-43-40. Why? Because he could.

I read that Anderson was playing with Dubois, who is also Lindros size, perhaps they hadn't taken the next step. Then again, Lindros was a natural born killer. Think Tkachuk, but bigger and nastier.

With Suzuki, he's playing with a kid that has exceptional vision and skill. Amd Drouin, highly gifted but largely a perimeter player.....until tonight. That line won't crush anyone, but it has a pile of talent.

Anderson is LeClair V2.

As for Domi....

The kid has a chip on his shoulder. He can drive his line and a natural winger would be....you guessed it...Anderson. He can play the 200 ft game but occasionally gets lazy about it.

You need to pair him with aggressive and 200ft wingers. If you don't, he'll try to do everything himself and his frustration will show.

He's actually concerned about his career and it fell apart in Montreal because he found himself with two younger centers rising rapidly and an exceptional defensive center that all of a sudden pushed him down to 4C. That was the end of that in Montreal.

He is a legitimate 2C. Give him the right wingers and he will get points for you.

PS....if Torts rides him, it will get ugly.

I'm going to assume you're being pedantic about Leclair because there are so many young posters around. I was maybe 10 years old when he was in his prime so I won't be insulted by that.

I can almost believe the comparison at 5v5. Anderson is a hell of a player. Way faster than Leclair ever was. But he's more of a fly down the wing and rip it guy. He doesn't have those hands around the net. Josh has 4 career powerplay goals, Leclair started off slow in that department but when he was 26 he scored 19 powerplay goals in one year, and then it was 10+ every year after that. I don't see much comparison there.

I was having Legion of Doom thoughts when I first saw the Panarin-Dubois-Anderson line, which was together throughout the Fall of 2017. They were really dominant territorially, absolutely tilting the ice. I wasn't happy when Atkinson was given that RW job but it turns out he is a better close in finisher for the type of plays Panarin sets up, and that helped the line score more. And Anderson didn't need the topline help to score goals. You still might see Anderson moved back in Montreal, you'll see a lot of what he does doesn't really need Suzuki.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Although a one game sample I think it is a very small bit indicative of how Torts' system hinders the offensive abilities of some guys. If Andy continues to put up goals and A's it will add to the evidence. William Karlsson will be a witness for the prosecution.

Did you watch the game? It's just Josh being Josh. The one where he flies down the wing and beats the goalie? You can do that in any system. And it's not like Josh stopped doing the things that would have made Torts happy. He was a beast on the backcheck and a terror on the wall. He's never had to sacrifice one end for the other.

William Karlsson scored like 1 goal in his last 40 regular season games with the Blue Jackets, despite getting about 7th or 8th most ice time among forwards. I can't see any of it on Torts (and I'm fine saying goodbye to Torts).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Did you watch the game? It's just Josh being Josh. The one where he flies down the wing and beats the goalie? You can do that in any system. And it's not like Josh stopped doing the things that would have made Torts happy. He was a beast on the backcheck and a terror on the wall. He's never had to sacrifice one end for the other.

William Karlsson scored like 1 goal in his last 40 regular season games with the Blue Jackets, despite getting about 7th or 8th most ice time among forwards. I can't see any of it on Torts (and I'm fine saying goodbye to Torts).

And what did he do in Vegas? Ice time isn't the only parameter for determining how good a guy is offensively. The system, line mates, all play a part.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And what did he do in Vegas? Ice time isn't the only parameter for determining how good a guy is offensively. The system, line mates, all play a part.

The system was pretty damn similar in Vegas. It's all hard forecheck hard backcheck. Karlsson is good at that. His linemates were Calvert and Anderson, he had good ones. Hard to put it on Torts for not putting a guy who isn't scoring on his topline. He had zero points in 15 games with our AHL affiliate too, the whole idea that his rise could have been foreseen is a joke. Probably the easiest way to spot a crank on the boards.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I liked Willie, was peeved when we made him available to the Knights but bottom line - just gotta be happy for the kid. He has turned into one hell of a hockey player. We could have used him that is for sure. See that production coming? Not in a month of Sundays

Reactions: koteka

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

Just wait until Wennberg pots 30 goals this year. :sarcasm:

Reactions: EspenK

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm going to assume you're being pedantic about Leclair because there are so many young posters around. I was maybe 10 years old when he was in his prime so I won't be insulted by that.

I can almost believe the comparison at 5v5. Anderson is a hell of a player. Way faster than Leclair ever was. But he's more of a fly down the wing and rip it guy. He doesn't have those hands around the net. Josh has 4 career powerplay goals, Leclair started off slow in that department but when he was 26 he scored 19 powerplay goals in one year, and then it was 10+ every year after that. I don't see much comparison there.

I was having Legion of Doom thoughts when I first saw the Panarin-Dubois-Anderson line, which was together throughout the Fall of 2017. They were really dominant territorially, absolutely tilting the ice. I wasn't happy when Atkinson was given that RW job but it turns out he is a better close in finisher for the type of plays Panarin sets up, and that helped the line score more. And Anderson didn't need the topline help to score goals. You still might see Anderson moved back in Montreal, you'll see a lot of what he does doesn't really need Suzuki.
No I wasn't pedantic nor insulting. I don't post here so I came in assuming there are youngsters and fans who don't pay a lot of attention to other teams.

LeClair trade made a grown man cry. One night, he played against Lindros and they were two bulls breaking up the china shop. The refs and other players kinda gave them lots of space...for their own health.

LeClair could skate, hit, score close in and make his own chances. Also happens that they are both the exact same size. Also LeClair hit, but he wasn't terrorizing midgets unless they got under his skin. So that's why I keep comparing them.

Does it matter?

I like Dubois from way back, before you drafted him. So does Bbinz. That's why I think that together, they can simply dominate the NHL for a decade. We don't have any high end left wingers that can complete that line other then Drouin, which is just sad. There is a kid coming up, Luke Tuch that is a natural born killer....big, nasty....and if this ever happens it would be two bulls and a pit bull.

Anywho...

i also gave an honest perspective on Domi. I like the kid, but he just happened to blossom when there were two others right behind him....and then past him. Then he had a exceptional defensive center push him further back. He is a bonafied 2C and some room to go to real 1C, mostly by stepping up his defensive game. 50/50 he gets there with some TLC. Definitely can get there with the defensive minded coach. He does have the tools. And he has a temper.

Hope he works out for you. If both turn out to be 70 point players, we both win.

Last edited:

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Seeing Anderson compared to one of the best Habs of all time after one game is certainly something
But have y'all ever heard of John LeClair?!?! :D (j/k)

P.S. I loved Domi - I was one of his biggest fans (I'm still shocked and pissed at the trade lol). Don't worry about that first game. Once he gets going, you're going to absolutely love him. He's a very gifted player who plays at center very well (regardless of what others think). I also thought he was significantly better than Danault (sure, Danault gets more points, but that's only because he's always gifted the best players, whereas Domi always played for leftovers). But yeah, I miss Domi... :( Give him a chance - you guys are gonna love him.

Reactions: I3LI3

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
But have y'all ever heard of John LeClair?!?! :D (j/k)

P.S. I loved Domi - I was one of his biggest fans (I'm still shocked and pissed at the trade lol). Don't worry about that first game. Once he gets going, you're going to absolutely love him. He's a very gifted player who plays at center very well (regardless of what others think). I also thought he was significantly better than Danault (sure, Danault gets more points, but that's only because he's always gifted the best players, whereas Domi always played for leftovers). But yeah, I miss Domi... :( Give him a chance - you guys are gonna love him.

This. All of this. Yup.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I’m going to judge the Anderson-Domi trade on July 1, 2022. By that time there will be 2 seasons completed and Domi’s current contract will have expired.

In the interim, I’ll enjoy watching Blue Jacket hockey.
While I agree with your post whole-heartedly, I did NOT enjoy watching CBJ hockey last night in the season opener!

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Is Tortorella unique in his approach to in-game discipline?
I mean it’s pretty much the approach if you make a mistake you will be yanked , unless I have a long history with you ... sounds rational right ... can’t understand how this would make a player think too much instead of just playing

Reactions: EspenK

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I mean it’s pretty much the approach if you make a mistake you will be yanked , unless I have a long history with you ... sounds rational right ... can’t understand how this would make a player think too much instead of just playing

This is an article from March where Werenski explains his relationship with Torts. I'm sure some of you have seen it. To me, it looks like it isn't that hard to get along with him, and get him off your back, if you just do what is expected of you.

/www.1stohiobattery.com/columbus-blue-jackets-news/2020/03/4701/zach-werenski-discusses-relationship-with-john-tortorella-on-barstool-sports-splittin-chiclets-podcast

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

This is exactly the kind of thing he was brought here to do. Take no shit, kill the country club mentality, whip these guys into shape.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This is exactly the kind of thing he was brought here to do. Take no shit, kill the country club mentality, whip these guys into shape.

I'm not sure the cc mentality wasn't wiped out under Hitch. maybe it grew back under Richards. Torts has gotten a lot out of this group of players. But at some point the taskmaster, pain in the ass boss schtik wears thin. I think today's young guys will tire more quickly than those of yesteryear. I don't see an extended shelf life for him in Columbus. May be wishful thinking;time will tell.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Was the benching due to Domi’s penalty (soft call imo) or something else? In my opinion, Torts’ “discipline” strategy in regard to penalties has always been terrible. Foligno took twice as many dumb penalties as anyone else last year but you never saw him being benched.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm not sure the cc mentality wasn't wiped out under Hitch. maybe it grew back under Richards. Torts has gotten a lot out of this group of players. But at some point the taskmaster, pain in the ass boss schtik wears thin. I think today's young guys will tire more quickly than those of yesteryear. I don't see an extended shelf life for him in Columbus. May be wishful thinking;time will tell.

Go back to the thread here after he was hired. Those who thought it was a great idea did so for that very reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad