Confirmed with Link: Anderson traded for Domi (UPD: signed, 2 yrs, $5.3m/yr)

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Don’t let the door hit ya!!

This trade will be looked at as Jones/Johansen 2.0 in a year.

Saad/Panarin at worst, if Domi leaves for whatever reason. Saad and Anderson are both 3rd line quality offensively, and always have been.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'd love to be a fly on the wall listening what the Montreal said to Anderson, since while I'm no NA tax expert, I would assume he would've been financially better off with the CBJ.

I don't know the answer of where he'd be better off, but all salaries are paid in US dollars and at the current rate of $cd=76 US cents, each US dollar is worth 1.32cdn which, I would think, could overcome the tax differentials since his living expenses would be in cdn dollars.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsAddict

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
"Anderson, by the way, was resolute in his belief: a one-year contract walking himself to free agency, or the max. Columbus had the hammer the last time his contract was up — this time the leverage was his. That’s one of the reasons the Blue Jackets made the trade, and he did not change his mind for Montreal. Have to admire it."

31 Thoughts: Inside the tough, tense early days of NHL free agency

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know the answer of where he'd be better off, but all salaries are paid in US dollars and at the current rate of $cd=76 US cents, each US dollar is worth 1.32cdn which, I would think, could overcome the tax differentials since his living expenses would be in cdn dollars.

In Canada the living expenses like gas and food might as well be priced in U.S. dollars, they're not cheaper in Canada. Adjusted for the currency, a Big Mac is actually a bit more expensive in Canada. Housing obviously varies more market to market and Montreal happens to be fabulously cheap for a big city, about 1/4 of what you'd pay in Toronto or Vancouver.

Reactions: Gains

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Don’t let the door hit ya!!

This trade will be looked at as Jones/Johansen 2.0 in a year.

Saad/Panarin at worst, if Domi leaves for whatever reason. Saad and Anderson are both 3rd line quality offensively, and always have been.

I don't know if it will be that lopsided. I am a huge fan of Josh Anderson's upside potential but this past season that guy got stoned on more breakaways than the rest of the team combined. 1 G 3 A 4 pts in 26 games (before he had to have shoulder surgery). We have a # of players that have under performed after signing long term.. we had to buy out Wennberg. Our play style last year was very safe.. maybe Josh gets to Montreal and goes crazy, but I don't see it. Give me Domi and a strong 2nd line, Domi on the PP will be an upgrade. The dude wants to carry the puck and distribute.. we need a whole lot more of that in my opinion. I'm glad we got Max but I will not be totally surprised if Josh plays well in the next cupla years just wouldn't bet our cap space on it.

Reactions: thebus88 and cslebn

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
"This next chapter is super exciting. I'm going to a team that is ready to win, it's a heck of a hockey team. I know how hard it is to play against them. well coached, a lot of depth."

"I've never met Torts. I've talked to him on the phone a couple times, it was exciting for me. I'm a fan of Torts.. the way he handles the media. He's a heck of a coach. I'm looking forward to learning from a guy like him. His intensity and what he brings everyday, I like to think i'm
similar in that aspect. we'll have fun."

"If you play hard every shift, Torts will reward ya. if you're not pulling your weight, he will let ya know."

"i'm looking forward to playing under a coach that will tell me straight up, how i'm doing and if i'm doing what I need to do to get better, and that's what i'm looking forward to with Torts"

"they told me i'm playing center!"

"the lineup and depth the jackets have is ridiculous, i'm looking forward to it."

"I'm going to a place where i'm wanted and I know my role."

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
"This next chapter is super exciting. I'm going to a team that is ready to win, it's a heck of a hockey team. I know how hard it is to play against them. well coached, a lot of depth."

"I've never met Torts. I've talked to him on the phone a couple times, it was exciting for me. I'm a fan of Torts.. the way he handles the media. He's a heck of a coach. I'm looking forward to learning from a guy like him. His intensity and what he brings everyday, I like to think i'm
similar in that aspect. we'll have fun."

"If you play hard every shift, Torts will reward ya. if you're not pulling your weight, he will let ya know."

"i'm looking forward to playing under a coach that will tell me straight up, how i'm doing and if i'm doing what I need to do to get better, and that's what i'm looking forward to with Torts"

"they told me i'm playing center!"

"the lineup and depth the jackets have is ridiculous, i'm looking forward to it."

"I'm going to a place where i'm wanted and I know my role."

i really like this dude so far

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
i really like this dude so far

I was a Wings fan and Probert was my favorite player. I was a huge fan of Domi's dad even as an adversary player.

He plays the game differently than his dad but you can see he carries the same intensity. I think he can become a fan favorite type player. He has all the tools for success, Now it's up to him. Still trying to understand Jarmos thinking with him. Why only a two year deal walking him to free agency? Is he in the futures plans or not. After the top three whos the core anymore. Will be interesting to see Jarmos plan.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Unfortunate result, but not an unexpected one.

Domi fills a need for us on our top 6 LW. Now he and Nyquist will battle to play with Dubois, and its something we desperately needed. Hopefully we can find help for our center ice, which is what I was hoping Anderson would be used for in an event of a trade, which I didn't want, but again also kind of expected. Domi is likely a better offensive player all around than Andy, and fills a spot in our lineup more than Andy would. So I get the trade, but it is disappointing.

Anderson was a good player for us. It's a shame it ended how it did. While he wasn't ran out of town quite like Johansen was, or pushed out like Bobrovsky was, the team wasn't entirely fair to him in the two contract negotiations they had with him. To be fair, It appears Anderson's side is also at fault here, but it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth that Jarmo and co. bent over backwards to keep Anderson away from Vegas, only for him to go extreme hardball with him in negotiations (twice), and then sever ties. That's bad asset management and poor decision making.

Anderson is a rare breed which we already know about. It sucks losing him. Hopefully he's healthy and can rebound for Montreal. And hopefully Domi reverts to what he did two years ago for us. Its a change of scenery type deal for two good players who were frustrated with their teams (for different reasons). I think its pretty even on paper. But losing a player like Andy is tough.
Is Anderson penalty killer?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes and a very good one
Right on, could be extra value there for Habs.

Do you think Anderson absent a reason for Tampa beating Colombus in playoffs? He was a factor in previous playoffs. Scored a big shorthanded goal in 3rd period of game 1. Tampa never looked same in series. Seemed like Tampa had trouble with his size?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Do you think Anderson absent a reason for Tampa beating Colombus in playoffs? He was a factor in previous playoffs. Scored a big shorthanded goal in 3rd period of game 1. Tampa never looked same in series. Seemed like Tampa had trouble with his size?

I think any regular lineup player being out of the lineup can be pointed to as a contributing factor in any playoff series loss, so yes.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah it had an impact but we still get beaten in 5 games with Anderson. We were severely out skilled.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah it had an impact but we still get beaten in 5 games with Anderson. We were severely out skilled.

All of those games were super close. We had no comparable skill to Tampa's top line but it was a grinding battle from beginning to end. That Foligno-Jenner-Nyquist line held the fort in crazy high minutes, but were never able to dictate play like they would have with a healthy Josh Anderson. I don't really care, it's a hypothetical, but I do think the Jackets would have been significantly better with that particular player in the lineup.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Anderson

Was a factor in front of Tampa net. No doubt affecting Vasilevskly . A few times he manhandled both Sergechev and Chernak.
You are trying to tell the fan base that watched him for the last 4 or more years what he brought to the team? I think we are well aware of what his strengths and weaknesses are

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad