Former Bruins Anders Bjork III

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
For the last month Bjork has been making some beauty plays "top speed at that". Last night was a perfect example of that.

Smith was nothing special in Boston ... I remember being frustrated, yes we saw some upside and we're seeing that with Bjork now. More so than Smith at the time.
Took the words right out of my mouth. The kid has been one of the best players on the ice the last month. If the rest of the players played as hard as he does, the team would be more successful. I think Cassidy needs to let up on calling him out and find another guy to piss on.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Took the words right out of my mouth. The kid has been one of the best players on the ice the last month. If the rest of the players played as hard as he does, the team would be more successful. I think Cassidy needs to let up on calling him out and find another guy to piss on.

Anders Bjork can play as hard as he wants but in the past month.

10 games played
Minus 4
2 pts (both in the same game)

How on earth are you saying he's one of the best players in the past month?

For reference we have Debrusk playing 7 games in March and being an even player with 3 pts and all I hear from fans is disappointment.

Reactions: JOKER 192

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

10 games played
Minus 4

For reference we have Debrusk playing 7 games in March and being an even player with 3 pts and all I hear from fans is disappointment.
Look at who they play against and they play with. One plays with a second line center and the other plays with a guy. With stone hands.
One plays his heart out and the other floats.

Reactions: Blowfish and Estlin

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

10 games played
Minus 4

All about expectations. If Bjork had a 27 goal season under his belt we'd expect more of him. If he were making twice the money we'd expect more of him. If Debrusk was out there grinding out the pk we'd be more forgiving of his offensive struggles this year.

Reactions: Blowfish

False Start

May 8, 2018
All about expectations. If Bjork had a 27 goal season under his belt we'd expect more of him. If he were making twice the money we'd expect more of him. If Debrusk was out there grinding out the pk we'd be more forgiving of his offensive struggles this year.

Putting the Debrusk discussion aside.

How in the world is 2 points in 10 games (Both in one game) playing up to his expectations?

Anders Bjork is projected over an 82 game season for 15 points. 15 points. For a supposed skill guy who is literally handed the 3rd line winger spot with Coyle and then benched occasionally.

The rate he is producing is simply not meeting his expectations. For a skill guy with speed and talent he simply does not get on the score sheet. Over the years the Bruins have had 4th liners who outscore his current pace. Heck even relative to this year Chris Wagner is not far behind him on the score sheet.

This is a guy who is a 4 year pro who can't seem to put it all together to reach that potential he showed at Notre Dame.

Am I suggesting we play someone else in his spot? Not necessarily, I'm not sure we have a guy we can just plug in (either at LW or RW) and assume he improves over Bjork. I'm also not going to praise his season solely because he looks like he's hustling out there.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

How in the world is 2 points in 10 games (Both in one game) playing up to his expectations?

Anders Bjork is projected over an 82 game season for 15 points. 15 points. For a supposed skill guy who is literally handed the 3rd line winger spot with Coyle and then benched occasionally.

The rate he is producing is simply not meeting his expectations. For a skill guy with speed and talent he simply does not get on the score sheet. Over the years the Bruins have had 4th liners who outscore his current pace. Heck even relative to this year Chris Wagner is not far behind him on the score sheet.

This is a guy who is a 4 year pro who can't seem to put it all together to reach that potential he showed at Notre Dame.

Am I suggesting we play someone else in his spot? Not necessarily, I'm not sure we have a guy we can just plug in (either at LW or RW) and assume he improves over Bjork. I'm also not going to praise his season solely because he looks like he's hustling out there.
I had high hopes Bjork could morph into a Brian Rolston

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

I get it, just think everyone's expectations of offense from him have fallen during his time here. IMO he's always been in a bit over his head on the top six. I've never seen the offensive game from him, going all the way back, to justify rolling him on the top lines.

But it does seem like he's found his role a bit over the last month or so and good thing for him because it sure seemed like it could have been the end of the road for him here otherwise. He's been great on the PK and playing big minutes there, playing real a real strong defensive game (think he had 5 takeaways against NJ) getting his shot off more, which is good to see. It's not just a case of looking like he's hustling, he's actually seeing some results.

Seems like a great guy in the room and they seem to like him a lot so it's good to see him find some success out there.

False Start

May 8, 2018
I get it, just think everyone's expectations of offense from him have fallen during his time here. IMO he's always been in a bit over his head on the top six. I've never seen the offensive game from him, going all the way back, to justify rolling him on the top lines.

But it does seem like he's found his role a bit over the last month or so and good thing for him because it sure seemed like it could have been the end of the road for him here otherwise. He's been great on the PK and playing big minutes there, playing real a real strong defensive game (think he had 5 takeaways against NJ) getting his shot off more, which is good to see. It's not just a case of looking like he's hustling, he's actually seeing some results.

Seems like a great guy in the room and they seem to like him a lot so it's good to see him find some success out there.

I can't disagree with anything you said. I'd prefer that on the fourth line though.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I still find myself wondering what exactly he is most days. Is he a shooter? He has an okay shot but doesn't get in shooting positions nearly often enough. Is he more of a play maker? I find he lacks vision and sense, so no, not to my eye. Is he a two way or defensive forward? I don't think he's bad defensively but I notice him missing assignments more than I'm comfortable with. We know he's not really a physical player though he doesn't shy away, I wouldn't call it a strength.

He's still too much of an enigma for me. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well except skating, penalty killing and the occasional flashy one-on-one. It's a shame because the team is severely lacking Bjork-type guys who can beat other teams with their speed and skill but I just don't think he's that guy. I think he's improved his consistency over the past while but I'm not at all sold he has the hockey sense to really break through offensively or be a reliable Nordstrom-type defensive guy. I'm waiting but the clock is ticking.

Reactions: False Start

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I would like to see Bjork shoot more, his shot is good, not great, I find too often he looks to defer. I missed the last game but I find since Butch has, for a bit now, left him with Coyle, he`s settled in a bit and played some of his best hockey of the season. IMO, there is a direct correlation between the two, Butch putting him with the same C and he (Bjork) perhaps feeling more comfortable in his understanding with his role.

Still, like to see him put some more pts up, they are getting some chances but lacking finish and as much of a fanboy as I am of his, needs to start putting something up on the stat sheet.

Something he has improved vastly on though is when on the forecheck, he doesn`t do that fly by stick wave thing at the puck carrier, instead he approaches straight on eliminating options for the player he`s attacking on

Kid has talent, my fear is he gets moved and some other coach simply allows him to play a more free game, he then starts producing, and I have to read about it from fans here for the next 5-6 years:laugh:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Kid has talent, my fear is he gets moved and some other coach simply allows him to play a more free game, he then starts producing, and I have to read about it from fans here for the next 5-6 years:laugh:

Well if that does happen- him getting moved- we can hope he ends up as a Ryan Spooner, who it was thought might break out under a different system. I guess he has, just in the KHL :laugh:

Reactions: Fenian24

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Well if that does happen- him getting moved- we can hope he ends up as a Ryan Spooner, who it was thought might break out under a different system. I guess he has, just in the KHL :laugh:
think there is one massive difference between Spoons and Bjork, to me, it felt like Spooner simply wasn`t willing to put the work in to at the very least appear like he gave a rats ass defensively, Bjork, from all appearances, is teachable and while he is far from a player without flaws, the kid works hard

Bjork gets his share of hammering on here, 5th rounder, meanwhile we have a 1st rounder wearing #11 who has done nothing for a long time now and crickets....

False Start

May 8, 2018
think there is one massive difference between Spoons and Bjork, to me, it felt like Spooner simply wasn`t willing to put the work in to at the very least appear like he gave a rats ass defensively, Bjork, from all appearances, is teachable and while he is far from a player without flaws, the kid works hard

Bjork gets his share of hammering on here, 5th rounder, meanwhile we have a 1st rounder wearing #11 who has done nothing for a long time now and crickets....

Oh don't get me started on #11.

I've been arguing with a buddy for weeks, why on earth he got the LW3 spot handed to him on a platter and he never does anything except score once in a blue moon.

That said, Frederic's two way game has been impressive. His lack of production suits him more for 4th line at the moment.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I am not hammering Bjork, I like him. Spoons was a lazy defender, but in a system where he wasn't asked to play a 200 foot game, it was suggested maybe he would flourish. Bjork is kind of in the reverse situation. As for Frederic, he is playing like a 4th liner I agree. I guess the only difference between the two is offensive expectations for Bjork have been higher (rightly or wrongly) because he has the flashy tools that make you think he can do more than he has done.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Your assumption that he has been given third line duty is wrong. He has seen some third line but has earned a look there. He has been hustling and doing thing coaches usually want you to do when your not scoring.
As far as him being a 4 year vet. He blew out his shoulder twice which led him to miss the season.
I’m not naive to say he’s great, but he’s trying to elevate his game at any means. I have no problems with his situation. One thing I don’t like is Cassidy always benching him when others are more deserving of that. Is Cassidy trying to get his career going by motivation, or is he focusing on him wrongly? Not sure.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

I honestly think this is what will happen if he's traded. I see enough flashes out of him still that make me think he's *this close* to making some connection in his brain that lets him play that offensive game that he played at Notre Dame while still being the defensively responsible guy he has become. It really feels like he's just on the verge of a breakthrough and I'd really like it to be here. He kind of reminds me of Blake Wheeler in that sense, where he has a lot of high end parts but just hasn't figured out how to wire them together yet, but I really, really hope it's coming. There are whole shifts where he'll carry the puck and buzz around the zone like Sergei Samsonov and I'm just like "if this guy can figure out how to do this all the time he'll be incredible."

Reactions: Estlin

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I honestly think this is what will happen if he's traded. I see enough flashes out of him still that make me think he's *this close* to making some connection in his brain that lets him play that offensive game that he played at Notre Dame while still being the defensively responsible guy he has become. It really feels like he's just on the verge of a breakthrough and I'd really like it to be here. He kind of reminds me of Blake Wheeler in that sense, where he has a lot of high end parts but just hasn't figured out how to wire them together yet, but I really, really hope it's coming. There are whole shifts where he'll carry the puck and buzz around the zone like Sergei Samsonov and I'm just like "if this guy can figure out how to do this all the time he'll be incredible."

100% agreement- I see it too. He is right on the edge of becoming a solid second line wing.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

He has played a lot more TOI with Kuraly than he has Coyle. Who is lighting it up with Kuraly these days?
He's mostly played 3rd line as an injury fill in.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I'm not defending or making excuses, like everyone else I want to see more from Bjork, but someone said earlier this is his fourth pro season ... but that is very deceptive. He has only played 136 regular season games whereas after only three relatively healthy seasons you would hope for at least 210 - 240 games played. His lack of games played is due to injury and crazy world events; even this 4th season is an anomaly. Often with non high draft picks teams dont know what they truly have until maybe the third season. The question is can the Bruins afford to wait until he's played 210 - 240 games in the NHL? I say this because often confidence and ability to execute comes through game experience, understanding and knowing what to expect throughout the league.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Ive been a big supporter of his since his first season. I hope he continues to grow into an even more serviceable NHL player. He put the work in and made changes to his game in order to be helpful to this team in any way he could.

Best of luck Anders!

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad