Former Bruins Anders Bjork III

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I've got a real soft spot for the guy. Probably because I love the toolsy kinds of players. His problem is between the ears. Reminds me a lot of Colin Miller in that way.

I don't think he'll be more than a good 4th liner who has flashes of offensive brilliance every four or five games. He can play 3rd line in a pinch. Not bad for $1.7M.

Reactions: Blowfish

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I've got a real soft spot for the guy. Probably because I love the toolsy kinds of players. His problem is between the ears. Reminds me a lot of Colin Miller in that way.

I don't think he'll be more than a good 4th liner who has flashes of offensive brilliance every four or five games. He can play 3rd line in a pinch. Not bad for $1.7M.

It always feels to me like he is one step away from being a top 6 player. The tools are clearly there- that goal he scored last night was the reactionary type that he needs to do more of- typically he has that bit of hesistation before pulling the trigger and in the NHL that is a death blow for a chance.

Reactions: bobbyorr04 and JCRO

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I'm not getting fooled again by Bjork until he can put a few of these games together in a row. He's been such a tease this year, puts together a great game, shows some real talent and drive, then goes right back to motoring around at a high pace but with little to show for it. I want him to build off that goal and play like that again against Buffalo. I've got time for him still but need to see some consistency.

He's also prone to some defensive gaffes so I get why Cassidy has him on a short leash. A lot of people think he gets treated unfairly but I don't see it. The Bailey goal was at least partially on him last night, he peeled off away from the play prematurely and let Bailey walk in unopposed. He needs to tighten up on that kind of stuff if he wants to keep a regular spot.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I will eat some crow here. If this kid can get his confidence. Because, thats what he lacks. If he can get that, he may be a breakout player. It is hard for offensive players to break into the NHL on our team. Because we preach D first and thats not what they are used to,

This kid could be explosive. Something i never thought i would say about him. I do still worry he skates with his head down a lot...I remember him getting hit coming across the blue line....
I want to see him more. He may be coming just in time. Last night he was a force.

Playing under Cassidy, especially this year, has left Bjork's confidence shot, IMHO. He has been given the shortest leash by the coach and is benched/scratched, even for the smallest mistake (while other players on the team are not punished as harshly or at all). He is bounced around the lineup and therefore does not have an opportunity to gain consistency or build "chemistry" with any other players. The upshot is that Bjork plays not to screw up, for he knows that Cassidy will be on his case once again if he does.

I am an unapologetic fan of Bjork the player and the person and believe that he has top-six tools and can shine in Boston. I don't know, however, whether he will blossom into that player under Cassidy, so maybe, as @BruinsNetwork commented elsewhere, it might be best for his career to be dealt.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The third line was effective all night...the goals will come. The speed is hard to contain.

Should Bjork be traded I see a repeat of R Smith and Versteeg.

He doesn't have their offensive chops. Smith and Versteeg were highly skilled players. Anders Bjork is not. Totally different types of players. Bjork is more Dan Paille than he is Reilly Smith.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He doesn't have their offensive chops. Smith and Versteeg were highly skilled players. Anders Bjork is not. Totally different types of players. Bjork is more Dan Paille than he is Reilly Smith.

Reilly wasn't putting up numbers in Boston...Bjork is on the verge. Would be a mistake but for the right trade/player I'm good with it.

Reactions: chizzler

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i've been a longtime bjork fan since his days at notre dame, and we are starting to see
the player he can be emerge lately. the concerns of hockey sense and actual production
are fair, looking good and creating actual goals are different things. he's getting a ton
of PK time and is a threat to create chances (which he hasn't finished off). i see his
upside as a really good 3rd liner with that speed that's desperately needed on a team
that is pretty slow on average (also like senyshyn's game, especially that shot first
mentality he's showing). give me more of these young/speed guys, not less.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
i've been a longtime bjork fan since his days at notre dame, and we are starting to see
the player he can be emerge lately. the concerns of hockey sense and actual production
are fair, looking good and creating actual goals are different things. he's getting a ton
of PK time and is a threat to create chances (which he hasn't finished off). i see his
upside as a really good 3rd liner with that speed that's desperately needed on a team
that is pretty slow on average (also like senyshyn's game, especially that shot first
mentality he's showing). give me more of these young/speed guys, not less.
Sure looks like a better fit in that role than trying to be a complimentary wing in the top 6.

Reactions: HustleB

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Reilly wasn't putting up numbers in Boston...Bjork is on the verge. Would be a mistake but for the right trade/player I'm good with it.

Smith was smooth and skilled. Great hands and better instincts with the puck in scoring positions, more poise.

Bjork is that fast-skating winger whose hands and brains can't keep up with his feet. Smith' upside as a point producer/goal scorer was a fair bi higher than Bjork.

If Bjork can carve himself out a career as versatile 4th line winger who can kill penalties, play LW and RW, bring speed to transition and forecheck, move up temporarily in a pinch, and produce 20-25 pts there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Smith was smooth and skilled. Great hands and better instincts with the puck in scoring positions, more poise.

Bjork is that fast-skating winger whose hands and brains can't keep up with his feet. Smith' upside as a point producer/goal scorer was a fair bi higher than Bjork.

If Bjork can carve himself out a career as versatile 4th line winger who can kill penalties, play LW and RW, bring speed to transition and forecheck, move up temporarily in a pinch, and produce 20-25 pts there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

For the last month Bjork has been making some beauty plays "top speed at that". Last night was a perfect example of that.

Smith was nothing special in Boston ... I remember being frustrated, yes we saw some upside and we're seeing that with Bjork now. More so than Smith at the time.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For the last month Bjork has been making some beauty plays "top speed at that". Last night was a perfect example of that.

Smith was nothing special in Boston ... I remember being frustrated, yes we saw some upside and we're seeing that with Bjork now. More so than Smith at the time.

Smith was a good player in his first year here (2013-14). We can only hope one day Bjork can pop 20 goals and 50 pts. I can't see it personally. Doesn't mean he's terrible, I just don't see the offensive ability.

I don't know what happened to Smith in the 2nd year. Was like two different players. Shattered confidence maybe. Julien had him on a pretty short leash near the end.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Smith was a good player in his first year here (2013-14). We can only hope one day Bjork can pop 20 goals and 50 pts. I can't see it personally. Doesn't mean he's terrible, I just don't see the offensive ability.

I don't know what happened to Smith in the 2nd year. Was like two different players. Shattered confidence maybe. Julien had him on a pretty short leash near the end.

Julien did shatter confidence for a number of young bruins.

Reactions: chizzler and Estlin

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Bjork has always been best in that third line role where he doesn't overthink his game. Also makes Coyle better with the pace he plays at.

I remember last year these two were penalty drawing machines, if nothing else they will create that.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
He’s been the most hardworking and noticeable Bruins forward since returning to the lineup. I like him with Coyle. He plays his offside better than any of our other lefty’s so he stays in my line up every night. He’s a very dynamic skater and his shot is pretty good too.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Smith came here and immediately had a 20 goal, 51 point season. In his worst season here he put up 40 points. On what planet have you seen more out of Bjork than out of even the unfinished Bruins version of Reilly Smith? Like...Bjork has been pretty good lately and I really am rooting for the kid, but there's honestly zero comparison between him and Smith. Smith was a much better player than Bjork at the time and it's not even close.

Guys, we really need to stop creating these false narratives about former Bruins to make us feel better about stupidly trading them. It's just embarrassing. Smith was a pretty good player here, even in his 2nd year when he sort of fell off. If the 24 year old version of Reilly Smith was on this team right now he'd be like our 5th or 6th best forward. Bjork has a long way to go even to catch up to the "shitty" version of Reilly Smith.

Reactions: kjpm and shoulders7

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Bjork right now is causing havoc, creating alot of turnovers in the offensive zone. I like Senyshyn too and he is doing similar but i think ideally Bjork and Coyle would be best with a cerebral player (like MoJo was during that playoff run, though as the line is now i think they could be a very good odd man rush line). Bjork needs to keep up this havoc causing, i think he is close to turning that havoc into more offense, just needs a bit cleaner plays with the puck.

Reactions: HustleB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad