Former Bruins Anders Bjork III

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Anders Bjork determined to prove his value in his fourth season - The Boston Globe

If Anders Bjork has learned anything from his first three years in the NHL, it’s that every year is a clean slate.

“I’ve learned that you got to prove yourself each year,” Bjork said. “And that’s something that I’ve tried to make a habit of mine is proving myself. You have a lot to prove every single year. And that’s what the best players do.”

loving Bjork a lot. He’s done everything he’s asked and played on every line without missing a beat.

Bjork is coming off the most productive season of his career. Last year, he finished with nine goals and 19 points in 58 games. Shoulder surgeries derailed each of his first two years, but he’s coming into the season healthy with the hopes of taking the next step toward becoming a complete player. He’s increased his weight to about 195 pounds, 10 pounds heavier than his weight coming into the league. That added bulk will be useful.

I’ve kind of steadily increased these couple of years, trying to you know, gain good strength and strength that can be used on the ice,” he said. “I think being a physical player is important. I think I like both speed and some skill, but only physicality will help enhance that. So that’s something that I’ve tried to develop and something that I’m going to keep focusing on moving forward.”

For Wednesday’s practice, Bjork skated with the fourth line alongside Sean Kuraly and Chris Wagner. Kuraly said the line is at its best when it plays to Bjork’s strengths.

“Anders is a player that brings skill and speed,” Kuraly said. “We think we can use him really well on getting down ice on the forecheck. When we’re playing our best on the line that I’ve been on is when is we’re skating and everything kind of comes from that.

“So what we’ve been talking about, [between] the three of us and who’s ever been there, it’s been let’s just skate. Let’s get up ice. And Anders does a great job of that. And hopefully, you know, we’ll get in the pocket in some good areas, and you can use his talent to finish some plays.”

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said that even though he’s starting on the fourth line, Bjork will have chances to move up.

https://thehockeywriters.com/panthers-5-trade-deadline-targets-2021/

Anders Bjork

This is someone I think will be very overlooked in the trade market, but Anders Bjork would be a valuable top-nine forward addition for many teams in the NHL, the Panthers included.
For starters, Bjork is still just 24 years old and has another three or four years to grow his game. He has already discovered the defensive part of his game and can play on a forward line as a shutdown guy against the opposition’s top scorers, but he lacks the offensive production.
Bjork has been limited to just one goal and three points through 19 games this season but has maintained a 1.00 GAR due to his defensive game. He ranks seventh in xG% and eighth in expected goals against per 60 (xGA/60) amongst Boston Bruins players, meaning that he allows the eighth least amount of quality scoring chances, or “expected goals” in the league.
Anders-Bjork-Bruins-3-1-1200x800.jpg

Anders Bjork, Boston Bruins (Jess Starr/The Hockey Writers)
I honestly think that putting Bjork on a line with Eetu Luostarinen and Anthony Duclair has lots of potential, as it would help boost his offensive production while also helping the other two with their defensive game.
He’s a guy who the Seattle Kraken could target heavily at this year’s expansion draft, and with him gaining attraction on the market, it may be interesting for the Bruins to see what they can gauge for him.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
At this point, 12 shots on goal on 31 shot attempts in 21 games just doesn't cut it.

Before we blame the scrubs he plays with:

Kuraly 40 shots on 59 attempts in 20 games
Wagner 27 shots on 41 attempts in 21 games

At some point you gotta put the puck on the net before you can put it in the net.
Good point. Back in January I made a post pointing out that he only averaged, up to that point, 1 shot on goal per game during his career. At that time his career shooting pct was 12.2%. Not too shabby. As you mention, he is averaging well less than 1 sog this season. That is simply unacceptable for a guy with a career shooting pct. around 12. Sure, his shooting pct will go down more than likely when he is less selective with his shots, but he still needs to be finding ways to put more shots on goal. I have no idea what Cassidy does or doesn't tell the players, but if I were him I would definitely be letting Bjork know that he absolutely has to shoot more. His game has evolved in many areas, which is awesome to see, but he is not doing enough in terms of points production. The talent is there.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Waiting for Bjork to score is like waiting for Miller to stay healthy. It's a wonderful concept in theory but in real life it just doesn't happen .

Reactions: duffy

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
$1.6M for 2 seasons following this one for a guy who, at the very least, can be a good PKer and 4th line energy guy, I hope they keep him. I still think there is some offensive upside in there to boot.

I feel like he grew his "B game" (as Cassidy would call it) for this season, so there is a chance he can grow his A game too.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Very solid game for him last night. All over the puck, creating turnovers. Bjork-Coyle-Kuhlman were buzzing. Also seemed to bring Coyle out of his shell a bit.

Hoping Kuhlman isn’t out long, I’d like to see more of them together.

I agree with the notion they might be playing a bit higher in the lineup than they should be but if it’s working it’s working, right?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Very solid game for him last night. All over the puck, creating turnovers. Bjork-Coyle-Kuhlman were buzzing. Also seemed to bring Coyle out of his shell a bit.

Hoping Kuhlman isn’t out long, I’d like to see more of them together.

I agree with the notion they might be playing a bit higher in the lineup than they should be but if it’s working it’s working, right?

Good post...Kuhlman and Bjork have both been playing well recent games and agree brought the best out of Coyle. Thinking Senny can replace Kuhlman for a bit (should Kuhlman be out for a bit).

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
I will eat some crow here. If this kid can get his confidence. Because, thats what he lacks. If he can get that, he may be a breakout player. It is hard for offensive players to break into the NHL on our team. Because we preach D first and thats not what they are used to,

This kid could be explosive. Something i never thought i would say about him. I do still worry he skates with his head down a lot...I remember him getting hit coming across the blue line....
I want to see him more. He may be coming just in time. Last night he was a force.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad