OT: And now we return to our regularly scheduled program

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

This turned out really well. Although, I learned that my wife gets really freaked out by anything like this.

And the behind the build video was cool, too.

Travis' face through the whole video is like he want to shit a brick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

And the socks....

VG-ETID_MN_JER_2020-JERSEY_SOCKS_c77351bd-651d-4a9f-abb4-04cacd5bed3d_grande.jpg

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Hello OT thread. It's been a long time since I've given an update on my writing career (or lack thereof). I'm currently waiting on responses from a literary agent and an independent publishing house on what would be my debut novel, a gothic dark urban fantasy. They both asked to read my full manuscript, which is exciting and stressful to consider. I'm also 70k words deep on a modern young adult fantasy, and making good progress on completing that within the next 20k words, as a guess. It will probably end up being book 1 of 2.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Hello OT thread. It's been a long time since I've given an update on my writing career (or lack thereof). I'm currently waiting on responses from a literary agent and an independent publishing house on what would be my debut novel, a gothic dark urban fantasy. They both asked to read my full manuscript, which is exciting and stressful to consider. I'm also 70k words deep on a modern young adult fantasy, and making good progress on completing that within the next 20k words, as a guess. It will probably end up being book 1 of 2.
Writing is a noble profession and the product brings joy to millions. Good luck and thank you for being part off important arts culture.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Spectrum says it will double internet speeds in Buffalo, several other markets
Spectrum says it has doubled the starting download speed of its internet product from 100 to 200 Mbps in 17 markets across the U.S. That includes Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany and Elmira in New York state.

There won't be any price change. They can afford to do this simply by discontinuing the troves of marketing material they send me every month. My download speed in Niagara Falls is 115-120 Mbps. My phone is actually slightly faster on wifi than the pc wired connection.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Merry holidays. I'll be spending this time away from family like a huge majority of other folks. (I also have to work the 23/26th) Hoping everyone is well.

Reactions: brian_griffin

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

good luck! I’m finally committing to writing the epic dystopian series I’ve had running through my mind for years- I always read instead of write, shit is difficult so respect to you just for getting it down and putting it out there.

Similarly.. I put in my 2 weeks today and it just felt so goddamned good. Long story regarding a shit job, but I overheard a manager talking crap about me for no good reason before I even began my shift- it just served as the catalyst to a decision that was inevitable anyways. I’ll teach online and write in the extra free time I have, thank ya very much.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I’m in my office for the first time since March for laptop distribution/training to get onto the secure network from home. Will be nice to have a company machine vs getting in from my personal computer.
I prefer to work from my personal desktop, the work laptop wont work with 3 1440p monitors without a pretty expensive docking station, plus I have more cores and RAM, I also just VNC in to the work laptop thats 3 feet away to access things on the company VPN, or I have Win10 VMs setup in VirtualBox that I can run on my desktop if I want to go that route. Webex and Zoom I do from my desktop so I can use my USB headset instead of dialing in. Plus when I upgrade I write it off on my taxes.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I prefer to work from my personal desktop, the work laptop wont work with 3 1440p monitors without a pretty expensive docking station, plus I have more cores and RAM, I also just VNC in to the work laptop thats 3 feet away to access things on the company VPN, or I have Win10 VMs setup in VirtualBox that I can run on my desktop if I want to go that route. Webex and Zoom I do from my desktop so I can use my USB headset instead of dialing in. Plus when I upgrade I write it off on my taxes.
Nice, but you're still using the employer-provided hardware to access, right (I'm not a computer guy). Which ethically I believe the employer should provide unless you're an individual consultant, partnership, S-Corp, etc., who contracts with multiple other parties. My work IT setup requires connection from a company-provided device.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Whoever's in charge of IT security for your company should be fired.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
We used a usb to connect to a virtual desktop so having an actual laptop with a second monitor will be much better for me personally. Just a matter of getting it set up now after I eat lunch.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Whoever's in charge of IT security for your company should be fired.
VM's are necessary for certain client's VPNs because they will kill all other internet and network access, or if I need to get a vendor remotely connected I can put them on a VM and still be able to do my own work separately from them.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
VM's are necessary for certain client's VPNs because they will kill all other internet and network access, or if I need to get a vendor remotely connected I can put them on a VM and still be able to do my own work separately from them.

VM's are fine, the fact that you can VNC into your work computer from a personal computer...not so much.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
VM's are fine, the fact that you can VNC into your work computer from a personal computer...not so much.
I utilize 2 factor authentication for the VNC client I'm using. It was my workaround since reg RDP wouldn't work. :laugh:

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Spectrum says it will double internet speeds in Buffalo, several other markets
Spectrum says it has doubled the starting download speed of its internet product from 100 to 200 Mbps in 17 markets across the U.S. That includes Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany and Elmira in New York state.

There won't be any price change. They can afford to do this simply by discontinuing the troves of marketing material they send me every month. My download speed in Niagara Falls is 115-120 Mbps. My phone is actually slightly faster on wifi than the pc wired connection.
Oh, you jerks, just build where you say you're going to build.

I'm working from home with my metered, typically sub-1Mbps* hotspot connection that craps out a dozen times a day. Time warner tells us "we're building out your way next summer!" every year, so we're left holding out hope for Elon to hold it together and hook us up to the satellites. It'll be strange to come back to the same planet that everyone else is on.

*Metered, so when it hits a strong 2-3Mbps it's anxiety inducing because that means you're running towards that wall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad