OT: And finally, sweet release from the grip of this eternal monster

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Anyone have experience negotiating salaries?

The job I'm interviewing for is an Associate Real Estate Developer. Normally I'd look online to see what an associate real estate developer makes on average in my city, and negotiate from there. Unfortunately there isn't too much information on that job title because it's rather unique. The only salary I have to go off of is a Paralegal's salary because the two people working as ARED in that company were previously Paralegals, so I assume the salaries are close.

If they offer $20 an hour is it fine to counter with $25 an hour, and hope to settle somewhere in the middle?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

The job I'm interviewing for is an Associate Real Estate Developer. Normally I'd look online to see what an associate real estate developer makes on average in my city, and negotiate from there. Unfortunately there isn't too much information on that job title because it's rather unique. The only salary I have to go off of is a Paralegal's salary because the two people working as ARED in that company were previously Paralegals, so I assume the salaries are close.

If they offer $20 an hour is it fine to counter with $25 an hour, and hope to settle somewhere in the middle?

Did they (or the recruiter) give you a salary range? If $25 is within the salary range they gave you, it's fine. Ultimately it just depends on how much risk you want to take. If you counter with $25 and they just come back and say no, they might just look elsewhere. I always get a feel for how much the company wants to hire me and if they have any other potential candidates before I negotiate like that. If I'm relatively sure I'm the only person they're seriously looking at and they make an offer I think is too low, I'll ask for more.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

First, you absolutely should negotiate. It's when you have the most leverage.

Second....I'd suggest knowing what the market is. For some jobs its tough to find a comparable, so perhaps look at your experience (are you entry level? experienced) and the job field you are in. For example, what is someone with similar experience/education as you getting paid in a real estate office.

Third...and perhaps most importantly, be ready to walk away if they aren't willing to work with you. If they are cheap during the offer phase (when they should be wooing you), they'll likely be cheap the whole time you are working there. Personally, I'd tend not to overshoot too much. So, lets say your goal 10% more than they offered, ask for 15% more and be willing to settle at 10%. But really, it depends on the company.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Took some pictures of the build process of the Lego Super Star Destroyer

http://imgur.com/a/ICunh

It took...awhile.

Make sure to understand the health insurance benefit in addition to the salary and negotiate more salary if the health insurance package is below average. Literally thousands of dollars a years difference potentially. Also, ask for 1 week more vacation to start than is the norm. All they can do is say no.

Lastly, will you be laid off in winter, then return to work when construction resumes? Will they automatically file unemployment if so?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Question: what does the famous garbage plate consist of? Know it's Rochester's culinary contribution to the world but don't remember what it consist of.

You can get it with a variety of meats (red hots, white hots, hamburger, cheeseburger, egg, chicken tender, fish, etc.) and then a choice of two "sides" that the meat rests upon.

A traditional order would be something like hamburger with home fries and mac salad with hot sauce on top.

o.jpg

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Make sure to understand the health insurance benefit in addition to the salary and negotiate more salary if the health insurance package is below average. Literally thousands of dollars a years difference potentially. Also, ask for 1 week more vacation to start than is the norm. All they can do is say no.

Lastly, will you be laid off in winter, then return to work when construction resumes? Will they automatically file unemployment if so?

Well, I don't know how well the empire handles salary negotiations. From my understanding, some point after the clone wars, they switched to some sort of forced conscription based recruiting. Either way, I doubt the residents of the super star destroyer would be able to squeeze any extra benefits from Darth and Co.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The minor league baseball teams in Rochester and Syracuse are changing their names and logos – for one day only next month – to pay homage to each city's signature dish.
The Rochester Red Wings on August 10 will transform into the Rochester Plates. The Syracuse Chiefs are rebranding themselves on August 5 as the Salt Potatoes.
Maybe it's time the Buffalo Bisons became the Buffalo Chicken Wings – at least for a day.

For those of you unfamiliar with the dining habits of the other upstate cities -
Rochester is the home of the garbage plate, with layers of burgers or hot dogs, macaroni salad, home fries, meat hot sauce and onions.
Syracuse has salt potatoes. So where does that leave us?

"Obviously a really creative idea by Rochester and Syracuse," said Bisons spokesman Brad Bisbing. "We don't have that plan on our promotional schedule."
The Bisons have altered their uniform for certain games, such as Star Wars Night, but have never changed their name.
Bisbing did say the team would consider it for next season.

We're imagining the players wearing those foam wing hats, although Bisbing said that might not pass muster with league officials.
We hope the Bisons get to the Wings before we see a news release for the Binghamton Spiedies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You can get it with a variety of meats (red hots, white hots, hamburger, cheeseburger, egg, chicken tender, fish, etc.) and then a choice of two "sides" that the meat rests upon.

A traditional order would be something like hamburger with home fries and mac salad with hot sauce on top.

o.jpg

You may have to do extra work at the gym just looking at that image. Damn.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport

o.jpg

A very important thing to remember, is that in Rochester, hot sauce is a meat hot sauce. It is NOT Frank's/Tabasco etc.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I am ordering a custom Eichel jersey, the old reebok. Only charging me 93$ (shipping included) on the NHL Sabres website

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Mighty Taco is always a good choice! :D

Not for Melissa . . . she had a bad experience with them before we met and won't go back. (That doesn't stop me from downing a few nacho buffitos on occasion.)

We were thinking something along the lines of Russell's, or maybe even SEAR. I tried their lobster mac & cheese at the Taste of Buffalo today, and I enjoyed it.

Right now, I'm scheduled to work on my anniversary. I'm trying to switch it so I work the day after (I have that off now) and get off on the actual day.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Not for Melissa . . . she had a bad experience with them before we met and won't go back. (That doesn't stop me from downing a few nacho buffitos on occasion.)

We were thinking something along the lines of Russell's, or maybe even SEAR. I tried their lobster mac & cheese at the Taste of Buffalo today, and I enjoyed it.

Right now, I'm scheduled to work on my anniversary. I'm trying to switch it so I work the day after (I have that off now) and get off on the actual day.
If you want reliably good and top of the line then do Tempo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00