OT: And finally, sweet release from the grip of this eternal monster

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If everyone reading this posted an answer to these questions... we can kill this thread today!

Just play along.

Three foods you "can't live without"

Besides water, three drinks you "can't live without"

Being honest... If people who know you well, had to rate you on a scale of 1 to 10...

How much of a cook are you?

How much of a handyman are you?

How much of a mechanic are you?

How prolific at computers and software are you?

How musically talented are you?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If everyone reading this posted an answer to these questions... we can kill this thread today!

Just play along.

Being honest... If people who know you well, had to rate you on a scale of 1 to 10...

Pizza, cheeseburgers, prosciutto

$1 icehouse 24oz, root beer, coffee

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Flew into Niagara Falls Friday. Spent w/e with friends in Kitchener. Hadn't seen them since their wedding in Oct. 2013 and they've had 2 kids since then. (My wife snuck a quick trip in between.) Went to St. Jacobs Market. Absolutely beautiful gardens, farmland, and summer weather, despite the occasional rain Sunday.

Flew home yesterday. Weather was actually temperate and drove with windows down. Today it's back to the wet, humid, hot cauldron which will persist until late September.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Taco Truck Tacos, East Coast Pizza, Grilled Veggies

Coffee, Beer, Captain Morgan

How much of a cook are you? 6

How much of a handyman are you? 6

How much of a mechanic are you? 4

How prolific at computers and software are you? 5

How musically talented are you? 2

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
First anniversary: check. We ended up going to Russell's & opted for the overnight package at Salvatore's Grand Hotel. I know it's a really, really nice place - but I wasn't prepared for the calibre of service during dinner. Blown away.

One-year-old wedding cake isn't that bad, either.

The most hilarious part of the weekend: I'm standing in the breakfast buffet line, and who taps me on the shoulder but RIT's hockey PA guy!?!?! I hadn't met him in person as yet, but we have spoken previously. As we were walking out, he's standing in the lobby with a 12-pack of Genny: he made good on our earlier wager on the Griffs-RIT regular season series. Canisius pulled out the broom; had RIT won the series, I'd have run out and gotten a 12-rack of Big Ditch or something.

Always appreciate a person of their word.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

Just play along.

Food: Pizza, chicken parm, pulled pork

Drinks: Right now San Miguel Light, Gatorade, Pineapple juice

-5 (can barely play the radio)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Just play along.

1) Pizza, particularly if my wife makes it.
2) Homemade strawberry preserves, preferably my mom's but mine is pretty good too.
3) Hmmm... tough choice but I think "meat" is too broad of an answer so I'll go with venison tenderloin. I would walk through fire for that.

1) Coffee
2) Beer
3) Did I mention coffee?

Much as in often or much as in talent? :laugh: I've been told I'm excellent when flame is involved and pretty good overall so I'll give myself a 7, solidly "above average" though I seem to often forget the veggies. And I hate making salads -- which aren't really cooking but more a case of assembly.

Eh, I've dabbled pretty extensively. Painting (exterior, interior and furniture), drywall and drywall finishing, electrical, frame carpentry, roofing (both tear off and new), landscaping... I haven't done much tile and my bricklaying has been purely of the dabbling variety while observing someone who I consider a master. I've done a bit of siding work and used an aluminum break, but I'm amateur hour there -- same with replacement windows and doors. I can fell trees and fix plumbing so I'll give myself a 7.5.

Edit - I also kept my tools through the move. Not sure when I'm going to need a saws-all in this apartment but I've got one.

Changing tires and air filters is not much of one. Considering a couple of my uncles are mechanics and I used to tinker with small engines as a kid, I should be stronger here but I'll give myself a 2.

I've built a couple now, but have let my software skills erode. Since I couldn't get the company to ever pay for further training, there is what I picked up on my own or persuaded people to teach me with my former company but that doesn't really help in the day-to-day of things nor am I getting a leg up in looking in a field I've left. I'll say a 5.

I played the trumpet and baritone horn through school, I can carry a tune without need of a bushel basket and I can harmonize. I don't like my singing voice since I wind up doing "Tom Petty's version of _____ " to nearly every karaoke song ever so I'll say 4.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
ALERT!!! The Live Nation/Ticketmaster settlement voucher thing is back. Check your emails or Live Nation accounts to see if you have voucher codes for free tickets. I got tickets to see Supersuckers at the Gramercy Theater, Goo Goo Dolls, Styx and REO Speedwagon, and Sublime and the Offspring at PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel NJ. That's like close to $300 in tickets I got for free.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I played the recorder for 4 years and could barely play hot cross buns. My chorus teacher told me in 7th grade that "you might need the chorus but the chorus doesn't need you". My brother picked up the bassoon his junior year of high school and now teaches at Julliard. The musical talent in my family was not evenly distributed.

My uncle is a Culinary Institute of America graduate and taught me to cook when I was little. I can pull off most techniques in a kitchen but rarely practice them.

I'm one of those lucky people who can learn almost anything written in a book. I don't bother usually but when I do I was able to replace the wire harness in my car, replace a tire assembly, and rebuild the plumbing in my upstairs bathroom with only a text book and a tool box. Gardening is where I've turned my attention but I've been consistently foiled by the hot peppers. The last 2 years I've managed 2 pepppers total. I'm at 2 so far this year.

When it comes to computers I call someone else.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Since I have changed my focus to really watching what I eat to stay under 200 lbs, I don't have foods that I have to have.

The past few months I've had a diet where I have a regimented gameplan for 6 2/3 days a week and then I eat whatever I want one night a week.

It has been going really well.

For drinks, it is black coffee, tea, and water. I also like the 0 calorie water drops, although I think I need to cut back on them a bit.

I think I am an OK cook, but I am horrible when it comes to being a handyman or a mechanic.

Recently, our dryer had an accident where a hoodie string got caught in the lint screen and broke a piece off the screen and the part it sits in.

I ordered some parts online because it was four screws holding it in.

When the parts came, I couldn't get the screws to line up the first night. I tried to get someone to come fix it, but he flaked. I tried again a couple of days later and got it fixed.

That made me feel like a real man again.

:laugh:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I eat a diverse diet. There are very few foods I choose not to eat, and I can't think of any I can't live without.

Beer, then milk. I like my beer, particularly IPAs, pale ales, and west coast ales. I could go about 3 weeks before I'd get cranky if I didn't have one. I've never drank coffee or tea. I switched from regular to zero-calorie soda / pop years ago, and try to quit every couple years or so (after New Years is the best time), but get caffeine headaches. I enjoy a large glass of grapefruit juice every time I have one. Nothing beats the thirst quench of a very very cold glass of milk when it's really hot out. I try to drink a half gallon of water a day, minimum. Hot days, I'm over a gallon if I'm working outside.

How much of a cook are you? 7 if you want soups, stews, chili, various roasts, and the like - hearty food, not candlelight dinner fancy presentation food with special sauces. My salads are exceptional; and it's more than just assembly.

How much of a handyman are you? 7 I probably overrate myself, but framing, electrical, plumbing, painting, roofing, landscpaing, vegetable gardening, and most household and appliance repairs are no problem. My drywall skills suck ass, but I persist anyway. My issue is time.

How much of a mechanic are you? 4 I can diagnose some things, and fix about half of those. I can fix some of what I can't diagnose, but that's of little help. I don't have any older vehicles anymore, so my utility is limited.

How prolific at computers and software are you? 2 (That's what you folks are for.)

How musically talented are you? -10 Although I'm an excellent whistler.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Wings, Steak, Pizza. Just finished a 6-week program where I couldn't have anything close to those. Down 20lbs and 7.2% body fat. Enjoyed some wings immediately after I was done :laugh: but back to eating healthier and enjoying "bonus meals" in moderation.

Milk. That's it. Even then, I may end up just not drinking it at all anymore.

How much of a cook are you? 5-6

How much of a handyman are you? 2.5

How much of a mechanic are you? 1

How prolific at computers and software are you? 10

How musically talented are you?3.5

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Just play along.

Pizza, brownies, fruit

Arizona green tea, milk, orange juice

cook ... 5
handyman ... 7
mechanic ... 4
computers ... 5
musically talented ... 4

jack of all trades master of none :biglaugh:

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island

Not that much of a foodie. Eating for pleasure has never been an attraction to me.

That said, Pistachios, almonds, and fruit of any kind.

Not to sound like a curmudgeonly old ****, but I have no drink addictions.

If the metric is being attractive not much. Not very tall or Hollywood handsome. Nose all crooksy, scars, lumpy ears - essentially if I didn't marry young I would be very lonely :D

I get along well in the kitchen. Excel at baking but cooking doesn't scare me.

Coming from a family who were in commercial construction I am quite handy. It's nice in that at the end of the day you can look at what you've accomplished and gain perspective.

My failing point. Engines are sorcery to me.

Two of my kids are involved in the industry. If I have questions or need instruction I'm well taken care of.

That would be my home run.

Started playing guitar at a very early age - have played over forty years now. That led to lap steel, mandolin, banjo, dobro/resonator, sitar, most things with strings. Of course I cheat and do the old Tedesco thing where you tune the banjo like a guitar and fake it.

A couple of decades ago our state became lax on regulating the prevailing wage scale and we started getting screwed and the unions shut out with the "right to work" law and some Davis-Bacon flim-flammery. I came up as an iron worker, started as a cubby like anyone else and put my years in. At some point generals decided to start paying us at carpenter scale and got away with it. So stick my ass 100 feet up in the air with no hazard pay and at a wood butcher pay rate, right... yeah walked away from that. Did HVAC for a few years for the money. Never loved it and after a couple of years became a full time luthier. Never looked back.

Have a reg club gig, do a lot of recording for other folk, and p & w leader at church. Keeps me busy (and happy) in my old age.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Butt Ox, are you in Northern Virginia? I have a friend who works as a luthier in that neck of the woods.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Butt Ox, are you in Northern Virginia? I have a friend who works as a luthier in that neck of the woods.

No, I've been in New Mexico for quite awhile. Grandfather diagnosed with silicosis and they sent him out west where it was supposed to be more suitable for people in his condition. I think I was in Austin during our ESPN days. That was under 2muy.

Virginia has a great tradition. There are some highly skilled craftsmen living there :)

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Just play along.

Tacos, Pizza, Buffalo chicken Wraps/Salad

Chocolate Milk and Alcohol

How much of a cook are you? 4

How much of a handyman are you? 4

How much of a mechanic are you? 5

How prolific at computers and software are you? 3

How musically talented are you? I you include rapping...7.5. If rapping isn't included then a 2.

I'm mediocre in every sense of the word. That's pretty humbling.

I used 5 as 'average'.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
A couple of decades ago our state became lax on regulating the prevailing wage scale and we started getting screwed and the unions shut out with the "right to work" law and some Davis-Bacon flim-flammery. I came up as an iron worker, started as a cubby like anyone else and put my years in. At some point generals decided to start paying us at carpenter scale and got away with it. So stick my ass 100 feet up in the air with no hazard pay and at a wood butcher pay rate, right... yeah walked away from that. Did HVAC for a few years for the money. Never loved it and after a couple of years became a full time luthier. Never looked back.

Have a reg club gig, do a lot of recording for other folk, and p & w leader at church. Keeps me busy (and happy) in my old age.

I loved reading this post; very interesting life you've led.

I've had an adult-life interest in woodworking, but have lacked the time (kids, job), money (dot-com crash, divorce), and somewhat also the space (no-basement house and a detached shed in a high humidity climate) to get to anywhere. I am still really a novice. I'm curious to see a picture of your workbench, if you wish to share via PM.

I've seen pics of other woodworkers, and luthiers in particular, with bicycle-chain-drive mechanisms for adjusting bench height. Is yours similar?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Never loved it and after a couple of years became a full time luthier.

So my son appears to be pursuing a career in music (classically training in 2xbass) and I just learned what this is when I had to get his 'summer post' put into his instrument. Do you just work on guitars, or do you work on all 'fiddle' instruments. Not a bad buck in that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No, I've been in New Mexico for quite awhile. Grandfather diagnosed with silicosis and they sent him out west where it was supposed to be more suitable for people in his condition. I think I was in Austin during our ESPN days. That was under 2muy.

Virginia has a great tradition. There are some highly skilled craftsmen living there :)

Ooooooooh! Now I understand a bit. Hope all is well with your Grandfather.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->