OT: And finally, sweet release from the grip of this eternal monster

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well my first week is in the books at the University of Florida. Now I need to rearrange some boxes and contact my movers about unloading my container tomorrow . Tomorrow morning is getting some of my medical stuff cleared up because my immunization records are older than most of the staff here.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
At my current job I'm making six figures as a department lead. They never asked for or checked with any references during my interview process.

That's odd. What's their line of thinking behind this? Do they figure since I have a lot of work experience at other companies that I must be at least a competent worker? I've only worked for two other companies. 2 1/2 years at my current employer, and 6 years at my previous job.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Is it normal for a company to not ask for any references? This isn't a job at McDonalds I'm applying, so I figured they'd do their due diligence before hiring. Not saying I got the job, but I know I'm down to the final couple candidates, and they haven't asked anything about my references yet.

Social media (including linkedin, facebook) make it easier to do a sniff test on a candidate, that they're being mostly honest about their experience.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
That's odd. What's their line of thinking behind this? Do they figure since I have a lot of work experience at other companies that I must be at least a competent worker? I've only worked for two other companies. 2 1/2 years at my current employer, and 6 years at my previous job.

Social media (including linkedin, facebook) make it easier to do a sniff test on a candidate, that they're being mostly honest about their experience.

Pretty much. They had my LinkedIn profile (which has a few hundred people connected and a bunch of recommendations), so perhaps that was enough for them. I also went through two phone interviews with them, plus in-person interviews at both facilities (that they flew me out to each for). My guess is that once they spent the time and money to fly me out for interviews they really didn't care if I had references.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Problem solved, Doakster.
https://meh.com/
12 Hot Wheels Star Wars Die Cast Ships for $24 (+$5 shipping)
They let you get 3 sets so that's just $77 ($72+$5) and you don't have to drive 3 hours each way.

1 star wars toy vs. 36 star wars toys
plastic vs. metal
1 wimpy super star destroyer vs. 3 millennium falcons, 9 x-wings, 3 tie fighters, 3 tie bombers, 3 slave 1's, 3 mandalorians, and more.
lego, a company from wimpy denmark vs hot wheels, a company from the United States of America. If a country actually has a super star destroyer, it's us.
What's going to assert your dominance more?

Hot Wheels are childrens toys!

Legos are Adult toys marketed to children!

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Cox is implementing a hard data cap out here. $10 for ever 50gb over 1tb.

Yikes. 1TB is a pretty healthy amount, but that's a giant fee if you go over it, and let's face it, if you're going over 1TB it's not going to be by a few gig...

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Yikes. 1TB is a pretty healthy amount, but that's a giant fee if you go over it, and let's face it, if you're going over 1TB it's not going to be by a few gig...

I go over it pretty regularly, byproduct of "net-neutrality" where ISP can't levy fees against the content creators like Netflix for using their infrastructure.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Speaking of LEGO, I spent 7 hours a day or two ago building the new Saturn V. Incredible set. So intricate.

That looks like a fun build. It's pretty hard to find if you don't have a lego store nearby. But excellent price point for a set of that size and likely will be very collectible.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hockey OT, but it is disturbing to see a Derek Roy instagram photo with the hashtag "fanny pack" on it (he's wearing one).

6vtbqn5.jpg

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I was in a Lego store on Saturday. Good time.

Watched National Treasure this weekend. How shameful is it that I forgive the unrealistic premise of the Knights of Templar and their lost treasure and instead take issue with the anachronistic use of wire nails, rather than the more period-appropriate cut nails or forged nails, pulling out of the floorboard in the dumwaiter structure beneath the catacaombs of the Trinity Church.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I hope everyone is enjoying their 4th.

I certainly know I am. Today is my last day of before the final push for my new location opening on Monday. So I'll work the rest of the week plus probably at least the first 10-12 days the store is open.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
One's I can just sit and watch are my favorite. Setting 'em off for everyone else is too much like work.

I was thinking you might have said calling out the wrong lady's name. :laugh:

I turned over the old leaf. Now I'm single and getting more bitter by the day as I'm still in PI waiting for my condo to sell. I was supposed to be in Thailand the end of May but buyer canx'd the day before sale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad