OT: And finally, sweet release from the grip of this eternal monster

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It all depends on the company and the urgency of filling the vacancy. One week, isn't something to get nervous about.

You were right. I received an email today from them asking me to come in for a second interview. Fingers crossed!

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Finally founds a "Decent" deal on the discontinued Lego Super Star Destroyer (10221). Just need to drive 3 hours each way to pick it up :laugh:

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
So what's your strategy with these models, doak?

Do you leave them new in box and display the box? Stuff it away in a controlled climate? Put them together, then take them apart? Put them together, super glue them and then display them prominently on the mantle or hood of your car? Burn the models to increase the value of the sets as a whole?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
For some reason they had some astronomical quote to ship it (something like $200+).

It looks like a cool toy/hobbyist shop though. Plus any day away from Wilkes Barre is a good day.

Wilkes-Barre huh? I'm friends with a woman who used to live in Exeter. You are right, any day away from that area is a very good day. People that still have an antiquated and wrong idea that Buffalo is still a dead city, should stay in Wilkes-Barre/Exeter area for a week. Buffalo looks like a thriving metropolis compared to that area. :biglaugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
For some reason they had some astronomical quote to ship it (something like $200+).

It looks like a cool toy/hobbyist shop though. Plus any day away from Wilkes Barre is a good day.

Apparently they pay their delivery people in hookers and blow.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Good to hear. Good luck, make sure you're prepared.

I'm about as prepared as I can be. I have no idea how this second interview will go. They asked a lot about my experience in the first interview. Now they are bringing in more members from the team and the boss. I'm thinking there will be more questions to see if I fit in with their culture.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Wilkes-Barre huh? I'm friends with a woman who used to live in Exeter. You are right, any day away from that area is a very good day. People that still have an antiquated and wrong idea that Buffalo is still a dead city, should stay in Wilkes-Barre/Exeter area for a week. Buffalo looks like a thriving metropolis compared to that area. :biglaugh:

Yeeeeeeaaah. It's been 4 years since my wife started her residency. 1 year left until we leave this area and never come back.

Apparently they pay their delivery people in hookers and blow.

Why do you think I'm picking up myself.

What I do with my pay is none of your business.

Isn't Medical Marijuana legal in NY now?

So what's your strategy with these models, doak?

Do you leave them new in box and display the box? Stuff it away in a controlled climate? Put them together, then take them apart? Put them together, super glue them and then display them prominently on the mantle or hood of your car? Burn the models to increase the value of the sets as a whole?

I'm hoarding them for when my wife finally gets her big doctor salary. I'm going to let her pick out her dream home with everything she wants. Then, while she is gone at some dr conference, set up Star Wars Lego sets in every room, asserting my dominance.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Isn't Medical Marijuana legal in NY now?
Technically, but the program's a bit of a disaster. It's minimal in coverage, doctor participation is a mystery, the dispensary application process was absurdly expensive and limited, and it feels like it's too awkward not to be intentional.

I'm hoarding them for when my wife finally gets her big doctor salary. I'm going to let her pick out her dream home with everything she wants. Then, while she is gone at some dr conference, set up Star Wars Lego sets in every room, asserting my dominance.
Once she starts pulling those big numbers, you can quit your job and start doing this full time. Well, not full time, obviously, but exclusively. What's she going to do, start a rebellion? That's hopeless!

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
As always, gotta be careful with calling it legal. Medical Marijuana is not against state law in certain situations. It's still illegal (against federal law).

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Re: Doak's StarWars Lego fetish:

Once she starts pulling those big numbers, you can quit your job and start doing this full time. Well, not full time, obviously, but exclusively. What's she going to do, start a rebellion? That's hopeless!
"How do we blow it up? There's always a way to do that."

I have a couple oak / oak veneered cabinets with glass shelves and downlighting in my garage waiting to move upstairs to my bonus room / game room. They're the 2 side pieces to a 3-piece entertainment center my brother picked up via Craigs' list / swap sheet. He just wanted the middle piece. Gotta paint the room upstairs first, but I'm putting my Star Wars Legos on display, where they belong.

I'm not a collector, but I probably have two-dozen small kits and a dozen large kits. I don't think I have anything rare, though.

I have a pool table in the middle of the room, with a 2-piece ping-pong table overlay. My vision / goal / retirement project is to build a series of "space scapes" of different star wars "worlds" to overlay on the pool table cover halves. Probably qty 8 sections, ~2'x2', with 1-2 sections comprising a "world". they'd be part lego mat, part free-build, part HO train diorama. They'd connect on the table top, but store apart under the pool table. I've seen some pretty amazing Lego builder's clubs displays. I saw the Raleigh, NC club's build of a Hoth ice planet scape about ~6 years ago, which was simply awesome.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Re: Doak's StarWars Lego fetish:

"How do we blow it up? There's always a way to do that."

I have a couple oak / oak veneered cabinets with glass shelves and downlighting in my garage waiting to move upstairs to my bonus room / game room. They're the 2 side pieces to a 3-piece entertainment center my brother picked up via Craigs' list / swap sheet. He just wanted the middle piece. Gotta paint the room upstairs first, but I'm putting my Star Wars Legos on display, where they belong.

I'm not a collector, but I probably have two-dozen small kits and a dozen large kits. I don't think I have anything rare, though.

I have a pool table in the middle of the room, with a 2-piece ping-pong table overlay. My vision / goal / retirement project is to build a series of "space scapes" of different star wars "worlds" to overlay on the pool table cover halves. Probably qty 8 sections, ~2'x2', with 1-2 sections comprising a "world". they'd be part lego mat, part free-build, part HO train diorama. They'd connect on the table top, but store apart under the pool table.

If you've got any of the UCS Star Wars sets that are retired, they're likely worth a bit more than paid for them. Or just older "large" star wars sets. In particular, the UCS Millenium Falcon (the one that was $500) fetches upwards of 2k now on ebay.

I've got 4 UCS Sets

-Slave I (75060)
-Red 5 X-Wing (10240)
-Tie Fighter (75095)
-Sand Crawler (75059)

I'm picking up my 5th on Sunday, the Super Star Destroyer (10221).

Three of them are retired. None of them are really worth much more than what I paid (not yet at least). I got a pretty good deal on the super star destroyer and could probably flip it a small profit if I wanted to. That being said, these are all for my personal collection, not trying to save to make some money down the road.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I can't support the destruction of a ping pong table.

I wouldn't destroy the ping-pong table. Ping pong table (split halves conversion top) lays on top of pool table.

When the legos come out, ~2'x2' squares of luan-thickness floor underlayment would be placed on the ping pong surface and interlocked. Those 2' squares would be painted to match the world I wish to create, have some lego mat on a portion of their surface, while some of the surface would be flat (no mat grid), and the rest of the surface it would have relief / structure like a model train setup. they'd then store under the pool table when not in use (or in the bottom cupboards of the display cabinets). I can't justify the expense (~$300) of an all-mat-block-grid for ~30+ sq ft of space when I can get a 4'x8' panel of Sureply underlayment or luan for ~$10-20 and spend ~$100 for ~10 sq ft of brick mat and a few $ more to register the Sureply underlayment panels to each other and connect in some fashion.

My interest is longer term for (eventual) grandkids to play with.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Problem solved, Doakster.
https://meh.com/
12 Hot Wheels Star Wars Die Cast Ships for $24 (+$5 shipping)
They let you get 3 sets so that's just $77 ($72+$5) and you don't have to drive 3 hours each way.

1 star wars toy vs. 36 star wars toys
plastic vs. metal
1 wimpy super star destroyer vs. 3 millennium falcons, 9 x-wings, 3 tie fighters, 3 tie bombers, 3 slave 1's, 3 mandalorians, and more.
lego, a company from wimpy denmark vs hot wheels, a company from the United States of America. If a country actually has a super star destroyer, it's us.
What's going to assert your dominance more?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Is it normal for a company to not ask for any references? This isn't a job at McDonalds I'm applying, so I figured they'd do their due diligence before hiring. Not saying I got the job, but I know I'm down to the final couple candidates, and they haven't asked anything about my references yet.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Is it normal for a company to not ask for any references? This isn't a job at McDonalds I'm applying, so I figured they'd do their due diligence before hiring. Not saying I got the job, but I know I'm down to the final couple candidates, and they haven't asked anything about my references yet.

At my current job I'm making six figures as a department lead. They never asked for or checked with any references during my interview process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad