Prospect Info: Analysis of Taylor Hall Trade/Return Assets

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
So....

Hall was with us about 1/3 of the season and with Arizona 2/3. Does that mean the devs win the 3rd pick and Zona the 2nd? :sarcasm:
Imagine that actually happens to Hall again, BOTH teams he was on winning it? Just insane.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
Coleman's skating developed a lot, he didn't come into the league that quick
Huh? Coleman's speed and quickness is what made him flash. Both him and Gibbons basically got the last 2 roster spots for those reason's alone. (lol... folks were flipping Blandisi and Quennville got sent down) They were a terror on the PK...

From a 2017 article:

One of the biggest differences between this edition of the New Jersey Devils and the previous four-five incarnations is speed. These Devils are fast. Really fast. Whether it’s Coleman, Gibbons, Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt, or Taylor Hall — there is always a speed on the ice for them it seems and they have played in some entertaining games through the first five weeks.
“It’s a lot more exciting hockey and we take away time and space pretty well,” said Coleman. “The game is a lot easier when you have guys jumping in holes and a lot of speed out there with you. Everybody’s done a good job and I think it really comes out in our PK too; it’s a fun time to be playing (here).”

Reactions: mdj12784

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
They have no scoring and they're about to lose their best scorer, I can see them being like San Jose next season. In any case, very long odds that they win the lottery.
I mean they play a very defensive, shot suppressing system similar to Dallas. Plus a lot of their good players are 21-24. San Jose's core has a few guys on the wrong side of 30 with a few others getting there

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly I imagine they would be in a similar spot as they are now. Bubble or slightly worse. Only difference is not worrying about the lotto taking the pick, but flip it would be a year later.

I just as well just take this year’s pick.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Honestly I imagine they would be in a similar spot as they are now. Bubble or slightly worse. Only difference is not worrying about the lotto taking the pick, but flip it would be a year later.

I just as well just take this year’s pick.

Especially when he's probably not signing there and they're still massively overrated.

I think it's easy to forget just how much uncertainty there is. Ottawa never dreamed when they traded their 1st rounder for Duchene that it would be a 4OA pick, SJ never dreamed how high their pick this year would be. No one did. Arizona could be good next year or bad. Top 5 picks are so valuable and hard to come by that I'd be okay if we lost the pick this year just for that outside chance.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
So now that trade deadline is over, did Shero make the right move by trading Hall early or would of we got a better return is we waited today/yesterday to make the trade.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
So now that trade deadline is over, did Shero make the right move by trading Hall early or would of we got a better return is we waited today/yesterday to make the trade.
100% the right move. Look at what happened to Vats and more importantly look at the state of the team when Hall was around. He had to be moved.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well Hall didn't get hurt per se, I do think they probably maxed out on return though, especially if Hall just floated around here for another couple months and still had mediocre stats. Plus some of the bubble teams that were interested two months ago like Arizona probably wouldn't have been now.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well Hall didn't get hurt per se, I do think they probably maxed out on return though, especially if Hall just floated around here for another couple months and still had mediocre stats. Plus some of the bubble teams that were interested two months ago like Arizona probably wouldn't have been now.

Hall’s knee is a time bomb in my opinion so best to not try and play a game of chicken with it and lose.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Sure, I think it's possible the return could've been upped after seeing some of the prices paid (maybe an additional pick or a ~35-45ish prospect instead of Bahl), but I doubt it was going to be dramatically better. It would've had to include a top 25 prospect or an unprotected 1st round pick from a vulnerable team to really move the needle, and I don't believe any of either were traded.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We dealt with the best possible team because with their mediocre depth up the middle and their elite goaltending for the 1st half of the season, there was no way they would keep up the pace they were on.

Shero couldn’t of played his cards any better then he did. Arizona has a solid shot at giving us a top #10 pick and adding guys like Bahl and Merkley is just gravy!

This is the best trade he made as a GM for our team... yes, better then Larsson for Hall. I said it before and I’ll say it again, Taylor Hall is not the guy you build your team around and handing him the type of deal he’s looking for would’ve been crippling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad