Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That doesn’t bode well to Gudbransons health. Two call ups could mean more injury issues than just Gudbranson?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Finalizing a deal to rent out MDZ again? Can't see think of a good reason to take two D out of the Gulls lineup for tomorrow when we currently only needed one.

Knowing our luck there will be someone else hurt on the backend.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Finalizing a deal to rent out MDZ again? Can't see think of a good reason to take two D out of the Gulls lineup for tonight when we currently only needed one.

If it's anyone its Larsson, he's the odd man out today. It'd be a bit odd to do all this just to sit him out a game, but I think similar stuff has happened before.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
People here frequently talk about trading players like this is a fantasy league. But I'd like to take a look at where the team is heading, and what we might likely see.

Bob has clearly put his chips on the kids - he kept the vets (Silf, Fowler, Henrique and of course. Getzlaf) to help the kids grow. Their development is taking longer than a lot of us hoped, but I can see real progress from Steel, Terry and even Jones this year. They are part of the future. Max Comtois will be part of the future. So where does that leave us?

I do not expect Shore and Ritchie to be Ducks next season. Either or both could be moved by TDL because both are players a hopeful might want to add for depth; but they are not part of our future. Shore is excess; Comtois will take Ritchie's spot on LW. That will solidify the youth movement for next year as I expect Zegras will play another year in college.

But I do think Bob will try to make a move for an impact player this summer. If it were me, I'd be targeting Nylander or Connor/Ehlers from WPG. I had thought we might move Manson as part of a deal to get one of those guys, but that leaves a hole on the blue line to be filled. Which makes me wonder if Rakell might be the guy who gets us that impact player. Frankly, he's disappointed last season and this; and it's not like he hasn't had good linemates. For all his talk in the summer about how refreshing the change is and how good he felt, it isn't showing up on the ice. His contract makes him attractive. I could see something happening around him. Or if Manson goes in a package for an impact FW, then maybe Rakell goes for a high end D-man.

I don't see Bob trying to sign Hall or any other expensive UFA (see Jeff Skinner). Shore and Ritchie might become part of a package for that impact player. But if anything happens, it will be a hockey trade this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidBL

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
ritchie needs to stay. he is really coming into his own imo and he should be a fixture here for the foreseeable future. he provides a great physical presence and while his stats aren't amazing, what he does is do all the little things that create space for guys like terry/sprong/kase/ aka our smaller players with speed and skill but need someone else to help distract/win battles

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
ritchie needs to stay. he is really coming into his own imo and he should be a fixture here for the foreseeable future. he provides a great physical presence and while his stats aren't amazing, what he does is do all the little things that create space for guys like terry/sprong/kase/ aka our smaller players with speed and skill but need someone else to help distract/win battles
I'm just not sure he does enough to be in our top 6 and so it's either him or Jones for the 3rd line. I think Richie is better now but Jones has a lot more speed. With a physical edge himself. I also can't see Jones in our top 6. Neither player has shown a lot of Offensive upside to thia point.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I'm just not sure he does enough to be in our top 6 and so it's either him or Jones for the 3rd line. I think Richie is better now but Jones has a lot more speed. With a physical edge himself. I also can't see Jones in our top 6. Neither player has shown a lot of Offensive upside to thia point.
Ritchie is a top 6er who's young and cost controlled
There is no reason for him to be traded and fits into a youth rebuild. Stop with the annoying nonsense

Reactions: 11Justin93

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Ritchie is a top 6er who's young and cost controlled
There is no reason for him to be traded and fits into a youth rebuild. Stop with the annoying nonsense
He's really not. He's on pace for 30 pts this year and in his BEST year was at 40. 40 pts pace is good enough for about top 150-180 forwards. That's not the production good teams want out of their top 6. He's a useful player and has a role to fill but it should not be in your top 6. Im fine keeping him but Jones is similar, cheaper, younger and cost controlled for more years. If we can get more for Jones great, move him instead but Ritchie should not be used as a top 6 forward. And before you start talking about hows there is more to the game than points, while that's true, its the primary concern for your typical top 6 and its not like he is some defensive stalwart and PK wizard and he certainly isn't doing much for our PP.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He's really not. He's on pace for 30 pts this year and in his BEST year was at 40. 40 pts pace is good enough for about top 150-180 forwards. That's not the production good teams want out of their top 6. He's a useful player and has a role to fill but it should not be in your top 6. Im fine keeping him but Jones is similar, cheaper, younger and cost controlled for more years. If we can get more for Jones great, move him instead but Ritchie should not be used as a top 6 forward. And before you start talking about hows there is more to the game than points, while that's true, its the primary concern for your typical top 6 and its not like he is some defensive stalwart and PK wizard and he certainly isn't doing much for our PP.

Jones is not similar, Ritchie is clearly significantly ahead offensively and overall is still a much better player. They’re completely different players style wise, I highly doubt Jones ever eclipses Ritchie in terms of creativity and playmaking ability.

Ritchie is actually one of our more productive PP forwards. I just wish they put him back in front of the net where he should permanently be stationed.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Jones is basically Cogliano, fast energy player not even close in physical play to Ritchie
Most Ducks forward/center prospects are on the smaller side and a player like Ritchie and Comtois is badly needed

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ritchie has size and if he crashes or parks himself in front of the net, good things will happen like last game. Problem is Ducks need to shoot more at the net. I feel Ritchie is one of those pieces to help increase goal scoring even if they are dirty goals. Just need to get shots for him to deflect or screen.

He is also only 24 yo and is good depth to have. His injury set him back this season, but he has looked good since being back.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I feel like people are misunderstanding my argument. I don't hate Ritchie and I don't dispute that he is better than Jones or even MC right now. I just don't see him as anything more than 3rd line winger. He shouldn't be in our top 6. If you want to keep him as a 3rd liner that's great. The. You should probably move Jones until he is reduced to a 4th liner as I see even less offense from him and maybe that's all Jones is and he just replaces ND.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I feel like people are misunderstanding my argument. I don't hate Ritchie and I don't dispute that he is better than Jones or even MC right now. I just don't see him as anything more than 3rd line winger. He shouldn't be in our top 6. If you want to keep him as a 3rd liner that's great. The. You should probably move Jones until he is reduced to a 4th liner as I see even less offense from him and maybe that's all Jones is and he just replaces ND.
We don't need to move either of them right now, this binary you've set up is based on some assumption that you're not making clear.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
We don't need to move either of them right now, this binary you've set up is based on some assumption that you're not making clear.
Well its predicated on the idea that you're doing something to upgrade the top 6. But you're right you don't need to move either right now. Essentially leaving both Ritchie and Jones fighting for the 3c spot. Imo I think MC is likely to be in our top 6 eventually as I think he has more upside then either of the other 2 at this stage and maybe that's when you're forced to make a move there.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Well its predicated on the idea that you're doing something to upgrade the top 6. But you're right you don't need to move either right now. Essentially leaving both Ritchie and Jones fighting for the 3c spot. Imo I think MC is likely to be in our top 6 eventually as I think he has more upside then either of the other 2 at this stage and maybe that's when you're forced to make a move there.
This is the thing. As I posted earlier, if you look at our future, MC is going to take a LW slot, which leaves Ritchie and Jones fighting for 3LW. For the future, I think Jones offers more, which makes Ritchie expendable.

Reactions: DavidBL

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I feel like Ritchie is starting to realize his strengths. Maybe getting a little older and realizing he can physically do damage

I’d hate to lose him right now. Might not be a great power forward , but it just seems like he could do something.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well, after next year one or both could be made available to Seattle. And whoever it is could easily be Seattle's pick from us if they prefer youth to a guy like Rico.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad