Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Something I wonder is how different this team would've been if we our attempts at trading for Shipachyov came to fruition. If we could develop him into even a middle 6 quality C, things would be quite a bit different for us.
We’d probably be up 3-5 spots in the standings. If he even worked here which I highly doubt he would.

Reactions: AngelDuck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It’s just baffling to even consider landing 30+ year old Vadim Shipachyov making our situation any different.

please enlighten us

Highly doubtful it'd mean much in terms of success but it definitely would be different. Shipachyov would mean no Henrique. That means Vatanen would've stayed(at least initially) which wildly changes a ton of things on D, more than one would think. At the very least it might have a serious affect on both the Montour and Pettersson trades.

Oct 18, 2011
I’m not sure I’d classify that as an utter disaster, although it’s a clear loss.

the Theodore and Palmieri trades are the ones that are total disasters. They have virtually nothing to show for either player. Palms is a 30 goal guy and would be our best winger. Meanwhile Theodore is going to be a 50+ point defenseman for the next 10 years. But we got rid of Stoner!
Pettersson has turned into a 20 minute a game guy for Pittsburgh with good underlying numbers, I guess I just don't understand this trade if you're not going to play Sprong when you're a bad team starved for goals and young talent

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Kase had another concussion he needs to consider retiring. It’s not worth the issues later in life if he keeps having head injuries.

Also next time we play the Leafs someone needs to tune Muzzin up. I get why nothing happened at the time given the score and how late in the game it was but even if you deem that hit to be clean you need to send a message to opposing players that we won’t tolerate hits like that.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Good news about both players!

Kase apparently had a flu, not head related injury which is also suggested by this timeline.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
There is a new article on the athletic about steel and terry. Terry says his favorite shot is using the defensemen as a screen and he hasn't found success yet in figuring out how to use it in NHL because a lot of his shots get blocked... you could say that again.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I am curious, even if it's unlikely, about what happens if Zegras earns a spot.

Henrique - Getzlaf - Silf
Ritchie - Steel - Kase
Rakell - Zegras - Terry
Deslauriers - Grant - Rowney

Possible LW: Comtois, Jones
Possible RW: Sherwood, Sprong
Possible C: Lundestrom

Seems to me that there are too many forwards even without Zegras. But if one of Zegras/Lundestrom can play, it makes things interesting. Murray will have to make a few trades now and/or at the deadline. Hopefully he can get a young, highly skilled, expansion exempt RHD and high draft picks with some of these surplus assets.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Lundestrom have to stay another year in the A, he has not proved anything there so pleasepleaseplease let`s not rush him. But yeah, I think Kase might be the first one out so Raks can move to RW if needed. Maybe.

Reactions: MCB

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2020-2-20_11-9-46.png

Yes please. Would love to see Zegras get a cup of coffee before the season ends.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'd rather see Z stay in college for another year. Build up his body and see if next year at this time we have some better finishers for him to play with.
Would try after the deadline (assuming Kase and Rakell get traded):

Ritchie-Getzlaf-Terry
Henrique-Steel-Silfverberg
Jones-Zegras-Sprong
Deslauriers-Grant/Rowney-Rowney/Sherwood (if Grant gets traded)

If Rakell stays:

Rakell-Getzlaf-Terry/(Kase)
Henrique-Steel-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Zegras-Sprong
Jones-Rowney/Grant-Deslauriers

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'd rather see Z stay in college for another year. Build up his body and see if next year at this time we have some better finishers for him to play with.

Agreed. The main thing that I think will hold him back currently is his lack of size, he would get abused currently at the NHL level. His skating also while good could use an offseason of work also - he needs to work on his explosiveness.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
View attachment 323857

Yes please. Would love to see Zegras get a cup of coffee before the season ends.

There’s no point in just giving guys a “cup of coffee“ just for the sake of it.

Zegras is the best prospect we have had in years but from everything I’ve seen he still has a lot of work to do to be a permanent fixture in the NHL. Getzlaf and Perry didn’t pay until they were 20, nor did Bobby Ryan. Zegras is at a similar level to what they all were coming out of their D + 1 seasons (well similar to Perry and Ryan, Getzla FB was definitely ahead), why rush him?

That said Murray seems to love freeing up spots for young guys without making them earn it in recent years so it wouldn’t surprise me if it happens. Doesn’t mean it’s the right choice though.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
There’s no point in just giving guys a “cup of coffee“ just for the sake of it.

Zegras is the best prospect we have had in years but from everything I’ve seen he still has a lot of work to do to be a permanent fixture in the NHL. Getzlaf and Perry didn’t pay until they were 20, nor did Bobby Ryan. Zegras is at a similar level to what they all were coming out of their D + 1 seasons (well similar to Perry and Ryan, Getzla FB was definitely ahead), why rush him?

That said Murray seems to love freeing up spots for young guys without making them earn it in recent years so it wouldn’t surprise me if it happens. Doesn’t mean it’s the right choice though.
He would get 5 games at most. That’s not going to hurt his development.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He would get 5 games at most. That’s not going to hurt his development.

That depends on if you think he’s better off spending another year in College. He’s having a great rookie year but hasn’t been tearing it up like a lot of high picks have in the past. And there is an outside chance it could, as Bergey37 said he may get hurt. He’s going to be more prone to getting hurt now at 170 pounds soaking wet than if he would be after bulking up over an offseason.

Also the development argument is kind of beside the point. We should be rewarding players with cups of coffee when they’re too good for the league they’re playing in, not just for the sake of it.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Zegras isn't ready for pro hockey IMO. No need to rush him.

Although, Z getting injured/concussed would be a "perfect" end to the season.

Reactions: Masch78
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad