Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This is the thing. As I posted earlier, if you look at our future, MC is going to take a LW slot, which leaves Ritchie and Jones fighting for 3LW. For the future, I think Jones offers more, which makes Ritchie expendable.

I’m happy for Jones to take the 4LW spot. I don’t see him offering more than Ritchie in the future but if he does surpass Nick it’s not like we can’t move Ritchie down the line when he becomes expandable. Right now he’s far from expandable.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We are so overprotective, as a fan base, of our extremely mediocre at best forwards

For me it's more a matter of why would we move Ritchie to make room for Jones when Jones is a clear downgrade. We are already far too weak up front as it is, if we are moving someone it better be in a package for an upgrade, not to create a spot for an undeserving player.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I’m happy for Jones to take the 4LW spot. I don’t see him offering more than Ritchie in the future but if he does surpass Nick it’s not like we can’t move Ritchie down the line when he becomes expandable. Right now he’s far from expandable.
Yeah i'm not seeing a lineup crunch anytime soon with these guys. I don't foresee us being in a situation where we have to move either of them. Move one or both for an upgrade if you want but they're just not lineup competitors, plenty of room for both to stay.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Yeah i'm not seeing a lineup crunch anytime soon with these guys. I don't foresee us being in a situation where we have to move either of them. Move one or both for an upgrade if you want but they're just not lineup competitors, plenty of room for both to stay.

What about the right side? Seems like management is fully invested on Terry and Silfverberg in the top 6 for the foreseeable future. I would argue Terry is still very questionable at this point and doesn't project to be a top line winger. Silfverberg is everything you want as a second line winger that can do spot duty on the top line when injuries occur. But make no mistake, he's not a top line winger either.

Kase and Sprong are interesting to me. With Murray willing to deal Kase, is he just a placeholder for until Sprong "fixes his defensive deficiencies?" Or is management of the mind that Sprong is a top 6 winger or not in the NHL?

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Are those 2 Gulls defensemen still with the team? Wonder what the reason was for calling up 2?

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
What about the right side? Seems like management is fully invested on Terry and Silfverberg in the top 6 for the foreseeable future. I would argue Terry is still very questionable at this point and doesn't project to be a top line winger. Silfverberg is everything you want as a second line winger that can do spot duty on the top line when injuries occur. But make no mistake, he's not a top line winger either.

Kase and Sprong are interesting to me. With Murray willing to deal Kase, is he just a placeholder for until Sprong "fixes his defensive deficiencies?" Or is management of the mind that Sprong is a top 6 winger or not in the NHL?
I think there is more to the Sprong issue then what management is telling us. Either they don't feel he gels with the current team, or he is a me first type of player. there has to be some reason besides his defensive shortfalls that are holding him back. He has the abilities of any of the other 4th line guys on the team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah. Given how Sprong has been handled this year it's hard to think the team sees any future in him. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't tender him a qualifying offer.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Nah, he will either play or be traded for a pick. BM isn’t THAT stupid.
They’ve done an excellent job in assuring he has no trade value as well as deflating any confidence he might have gained in SD.

I actually supported the season opening move to send him down and hopefully develop his defense. How the situation has played out where he now gets called up to sit in the press box has left me confused and disappointed.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
They’ve done an excellent job in assuring he has no trade value as well as deflating any confidence he might have gained in SD.

I actually supported the season opening move to send him down and hopefully develop his defense. How the situation has played out where he now gets called up to sit in the press box has left me confused and disappointed.
What trade value Sprong has or doesn't have is completely on him. The org gave him an opportunity to turn his career around and earn his way back onto the big club. He hasn't done it. Please stop blaming management for the player's shortcomings.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
What trade value Sprong has or doesn't have is completely on him. The org gave him an opportunity to turn his career around and earn his way back onto the big club. He hasn't done it. Please stop blaming management for the player's shortcomings.
You're reading too much into what I said. If he hasn't made the grade then fine. Leave him in SD and let him help the Gulls. If they are truly still trying to "help" him or see what he has, then calling him up to sit him in the press box makes no sense. That's how they reward guys who've never been to the show. That's not a plan for getting a guy like Sprong on track.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Murray didn't qualify MP22 but they did give him a contract offer.
He was arbitration eligible though. BM didn’t feel he was worth what the contract would have been (seasons of 30 and 43 points), and you can’t trade them for a year after the arbitration award. Sprong may be arbitration eligible, but he’s only got 30 career points. That’s in line to get awarded not much more than a 1-way contract and a meager raise.

Reactions: McDonald19

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
He was arbitration eligible though. BM didn’t feel he was worth what the contract would have been (seasons of 30 and 43 points), and you can’t trade them for a year after the arbitration award. Sprong may be arbitration eligible, but he’s only got 30 career points. That’s in line to get awarded not much more than a 1-way contract and a meager raise.

Thanks for clearing that up. With regards to Sprong, I hope you're right.

Oct 18, 2011
the sprong trade has been an utter disaster, i'm sick of our young players doing better elsewhere while we have virtually nothing to show for it

Reactions: DuckRogers10

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Something I wonder is how different this team would've been if we our attempts at trading for Shipachyov came to fruition. If we could develop him into even a middle 6 quality C, things would be quite a bit different for us.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
the sprong trade has been an utter disaster, i'm sick of our young players doing better elsewhere while we have virtually nothing to show for it
I’m not sure I’d classify that as an utter disaster, although it’s a clear loss.

the Theodore and Palmieri trades are the ones that are total disasters. They have virtually nothing to show for either player. Palms is a 30 goal guy and would be our best winger. Meanwhile Theodore is going to be a 50+ point defenseman for the next 10 years. But we got rid of Stoner!

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Something I wonder is how different this team would've been if we our attempts at trading for Shipachyov came to fruition. If we could develop him into even a middle 6 quality C, things would be quite a bit different for us.
What makes you think that would be the difference between being 4th worst in the league and being respectable?

you’ve gotta be kidding me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad