Anaheim defeats Calgary 4 games to 1

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Yeah, whatever.

The Avs and Flames are nowhere near compatible situations.

Why is the Flames top line going to drop off?

Why is their D going to drop off?

Colorado fell back to earth because they had a bad blueline and unbelievable goaltending in their playoff year.

They fell to earth because they didn't improve their blueline and their goaltending wasn't quite as good, and they lost a top 6 forward.

You are one of two things.

Either you are entirely ignorant and either don't watch or don't understand hockey.

Or a great troll.

Like the Avs the Flames were consistently outshot and played a style that was simply not sustainable. It finally caught up to them and when they played a team that was at all respectable, they were dominated.

Add to that, coaches like Hartley have a very short shelf life. There was nothing expected of the Flames this year. Next year the fanbase will be expecting the team to make the playoffs and do damage. With increased expectations, I suspect the Flames fall back to earth and their warts start to really show through.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Really wish the Flames could redo the first game. They clearly weren't ready for Anaheim.

The curse continues, but on a positive note, I am proud of our team for proving all of the doubters wrong. We made the playoffs, went past a round, and put up a good fight against Anaheim.

As for Anaheim, they've got an opponent that are far better than the inexperienced Jets and Flames. Watch out for them, they will be your hardest opponent.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Calgary did great and the future is bright. Plus, their fans will have a very exciting team to watch develop. I envy your year.

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Like the Avs the Flames were consistently outshot and played a style that was simply not sustainable. It finally caught up to them and when they played a team that was at all respectable, they were dominated.

Add to that, coaches like Hartley have a very short shelf life. There was nothing expected of the Flames this year. Next year the fanbase will be expecting the team to make the playoffs and do damage. With increased expectations, I suspect the Flames fall back to earth and their warts start to really show through.

The Avs aren't rebuilding, we are. If we "fall back down to earth" it will be expected.

However, how are we not going to be better? Keep in mind we played without Giordano for 2 months and also have an up and coming Sam Bennett who will be in the lineup next year.

BacksInTheSaddle

Feb 6, 2014
Saskatchewan
They really did. Tonight was no exception.

It will be interesting to see if next year the Flames really drop off much the same way the Av's did. The Av's had a similar season to Calgary last year and had all kinds of problems this year. I am picking the Flames to miss the playoffs next year. I think their top line continues to drop off, their D comes back to earth and they have goaltending issues.

The one player I see continuing to trend up is Bennett. He is a fantastic hockey player.

This rhetoric is getting very old. I only ever hear it mentioned about the flames and never about the the 4 other teams that finished bottom 10 last year and made the playoffs this year (Vancouver, NYI, Winnipeg, Ottawa) and of these teams I would hazard a guess that Calgary probably has the best youth group of the bunch (although all outside of Vancouver look good in that department. If you're basing it off advanced possession stats fine I won't argue because I don't understand many of the advanced stats and their usage but the majority of times I see posters just saying "oh they were bad and now they are good so they will be bad again like those other teams that were bad then good"

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Yet you still haven't won in Anaheim.

What the Calgary Flames did last year has no bearing on what happens this year or next, let a lone a team from nine season ago.

A team that was composed of completely different players that have come and gone. It is meaningless.

The Ducks have been pretty good over that stretch.

If you want to believe there is a "curse", then I suppose you believe in the possibility of the Loch Ness Monster and Unicorns, too.

What the Canucks did eight or nine seasons ago, similarly, is meaningless.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Good series flames fans!

From a ducks perspective cant really complain much, they came out and handled their business again.... Looking forward to playing chicago.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Anaheim got either Calgary or Vancouver.

Chicago got either Minny or STL.

Anaheim got the better deal there. Two incredibly inept teams in the second round for them, vs. two very difficult to teams to play against in the second round for Chicago.

Nobody is saying the Ducks didn't have the better matchups, so I'm not sure why you're bringing that up because I fail to see the relevance.

Your comments in this thread have been that the Flames were just a bad team and not a real opponent. I think comments like that are vastly overlooking how well they played at times. A couple of bounces here or there, a few less penalties and this series is still being played.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Duck fans, congratulations! You guys are built for a long playoff run and have such an amazing team. Very jealous! Goodluck the rest of the way!

jax00

DangleSnipe&Celly
Mar 3, 2007
Anaslime
Last year the Ducks got the Kings in the second round and the Hawks got the Wild. **** happens.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010

This wasn't a Flames team that won the President's Trophy that lost to a playoff bubble team. It was very much the other way around.

The Flames made the playoffs in a relatively low seed, made a bit of noise, and lost to a very good Anaheim team that finished 1st in the conference.

This has nothing to do with statistics finally catching up to them.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
The Flames should be pretty proud of their season. I still can't believe how good Johnny hockey is. Best Flames player in the series by a mile.

Disagree, I think ramo was. Johnny was pretty good creating offense, but turned the puck over a ton, which lead to many scoring chances/goals. He will continue to get better though and will be an excellent player.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

I took my mom out for mothers day tonight, and I swear the baked potato that I ordered made more sense then you.

Now you think Hartley has a short shelf life? You're just pulling garbage out of your butt aren't you.

the Ducks dominated game 1, games 2 3 and 4 were very competitive and the Ducks were excellent tonight and full credit to them.

Not to worried about next year, not to worried about a very young learning team being on the short end of the advanced stats crowd, that seems to think that the Flames young players won't improve and progress, or the fact that the Flames don't play a possession hockey game that predicates advanced stats.

Nobody cares about advanced stats. They make no sense unless you actually I don't know watch and understand hockey and styles of play.

But the backed potato was delicious.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
I took my mom out for mothers day tonight, and I swear the baked potato that I ordered made more sense then you.

Now you think Hartley has a short shelf life? You're just pulling garbage out of your butt aren't you.

the Ducks dominated game 1, games 2 3 and 4 were very competitive and the Ducks were excellent tonight and full credit to them.

Not to worried about next year, not to worried about a very young learning team being on the short end of the advanced stats crowd, that seems to think that the Flames young players won't improve and progress, or the fact that the Flames don't play a possession hockey game that predicates advanced stats.

Nobody cares about advanced stats. They make no sense unless you actually I don't know watch and understand hockey and styles of play.

But the backed potato was delicious.

I suspect an almost identical post was put up last year by an Av's fan. The Flames will crash and burn next year, I can almost guarantee it. I stand by my arguments, not matter how aggravating you may find them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad