Confirmed with Link: [ANA/BOS] Ondrej Kase for 2020 1st round pick, David Backes (25% retained), and Axel Andersson

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
Madden mentioned after the 2018 draft that they were happy with the draft but "missed out" on a D prospect that were hoping to get. I wonder if it was Andersson. The trade would make even more sense if it was.

They took Groulx just 3 picks before he was drafted though.
(maybe they wanted to grab him with their 3rd?)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
They took Groulx just 3 picks before he was drafted though.
(maybe they wanted to grab him with their 3rd?)

Yeah, Boston took him a little high at #57 based on the rankings that year. Ducks could have been looking to get him in the 3rd round. All just speculation of course.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Madden mentioned after the 2018 draft that they were happy with the draft but "missed out" on a D prospect that were hoping to get. I wonder if it was Andersson. The trade would make even more sense if it was.
There were strong rumors the Ducks were after K'Andre Miller in the 1st and supposedly that's why the Rangers traded up to snag him. That would be my guess who Madden was after.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
There were strong rumors the Ducks were after K'Andre Miller in the 1st and supposedly that's why the Rangers traded up to snag him. That would be my guess who Madden was after.

I remember discussing Madden's comments after the draft and it was pretty clear (to me anyway) that he was talking about a player in the 2nd/3rd round. Again, all speculation but it's good to know that Andersson was on their radar and someone they had been following the last few years.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
The Ducks turned a 7th round draft pick into a player that scored 96 points in 198 games. That's a win. To be able to trade him for a 1st, a RHD prospect (former 2nd), and Backes who will certainly play on the 4th line and probably facilitate a Grant trade which should yield more picks is bonus. Especially with the health concerns, I think this is more than reasonable.

The only bummer is I will miss seeing him play. Very likeable player and a guy who clearly loves to play hockey. I hope he stays healthy and scores a bunch in Boston.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
The Ducks turned a 7th round draft pick into a player that scored 96 points in 198 games. That's a win. To be able to trade him for a 1st, a RHD prospect (former 2nd), and Backes who will certainly play on the 4th line and probably facilitate a Grant trade which should yield more picks is bonus. Especially with the health concerns, I think this is more than reasonable.

The only bummer is I will miss seeing him play. Very likeable player and a guy who clearly loves to play hockey. I hope he stays healthy and scores a bunch in Boston.
Best post so far

Oct 18, 2011
More of these trades would be fine we need to stock up assets. Kase injury issues have hurt his value but given where the team is at the trade makes sense.

Now I'd be looking at the market for Rakell and Henrique

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
backes from all accounts is an excellent teammate, and i think he's still capable of
playing a bottom 6 role in the NHL. has some trouble with the skating, but i thought
he was reasonably effective when they used him in limited action. he can still play
some PP in the bumper, he can fill in at center if needed, and he was great with the
young guys like mcavoy, debrusk, etc.

obviously the guy is beyond motivated, after being scratched for game 6 and 7 of the
SCF and watching his old team win. then worked on his skating this summer, then got
another concussion, then came back and scored a big goal weeks later. boston just has too
many other guys to do what he can do, and better/quicker. and obviously needed the
cap space. i think most bruins fans hope he finds his way in anaheim.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I’ll take heat for this, but for some reason, it seems like Bob thinks that Backes is a legitimate asset more than a cap dump, which kinda sucks. Really thought he could squeeze another asset out of the Bruins, but Kases value is quite complicated.

Hopefully he’s a solid voice in the room for the young guys though.

There is no way Bob thinks Backes is a valuable asset. If he did, then Boston wouldn't have retained and the ducks wouldn't have received the first. Everyone know Backes has negative trade value.

I also wonder if the ducks could have got another or better asset. Certainly if Boston hadn't retained. That being said, first round picks are considerably more valuable then seconds. So if you look at the recent trades, even with the high prices and Seller's market, not many first round picks have moved. For example, Martinez (who was probably the best defenseman with term on the market) only got 2 second round picks.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
i really love this deal for us. i like axel as a prospect and i think he'll surprise some. the fact that all our scouts including madden loves him as well just further enhances my confidence in him.

the 1st is great. boston retaining 25% on backes is great. kase being out of our conference is a good thing as he's a great player when he's healthy, i just really don't see him being able to stay healthy. I wish him all the best though, what a great guy he was when he was here.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
How can anyone miss kase. Hes never on the ice anyways. This is a good trade. We got a first, we got a rhd. And a one year deal guy

Next is henrique and rakell

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If you say Backes is worth a first then Kase was traded for a guy who is still playing juniors and was a second round pick. Given what I've read it's hard to be enthused about Andersson but given Kase's health I suppose a second round pick isn't terrible. Add in the B's retention on Backes and Bob probably did as good as could be expected for a guy who is one hit away from retirement.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Yeah, the descriptions of Kase don't ever seem to match up with the production of kase, with that one half-season exception

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
According to LeBrun, the Flames and Canes were in on Kase. Flames offered a 2nd and a prospect.

He also said one team liked Kase but didn’t bother calling because they were very concerned about the concussion history.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
That's about what I would expect back for Kase at this point. His health problems are acceptable for a contender, but we are clearly not that at the moment.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Huh... I thought I wrote a comment on the same thing. But yes, the Peter Holland trade continues on. We got a third and a seventh round pick (ohhh and D Blacker thrown in as well) for Holland (and Staubitz). The third round pick was used to help bring in Kesler. That seventh round pick ended up being Kase. It's really amazing how GM Murray continues to pay trades forward. Now we get a 1st round pick and prospect RHD Axel ( a 2018 2nd round selection).

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Huh... I thought I wrote a comment on the same thing. But yes, the Peter Holland trade continues on. We got a third and a seventh round pick (ohhh and D Blacker thrown in as well) for Holland (and Staubitz). The third round pick was used to help bring in Kesler. That seventh round pick ended up being Kase. It's really amazing how GM Murray continues to pay trades forward. Now we get a 1st round pick and prospect RHD Axel ( a 2018 2nd round selection).

We got a 2nd(Pettersson) in the Holland deal

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I expected a better prospect or a 2nd to be added for taking Backes.

That said, with how Kase is injured 30-40% of time I'll take it.

Hope Bob isn't done as we need more picks to properly rebuild and now is the time. Also, it will be Bob until the guy dies or ownership sells the club - that I've already picked up.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hope Bob isn't done as we need more picks to properly rebuild and now is the time. Also, it will be Bob until the guy dies or ownership sells the club - that I've already picked up.

What are you talking about?
Forward prospects: Terry (2015, 5th rd), Jones (2016, 1st), C Steel (2016, 1st), Comtois (2017, 2nd), C Lundestrom (2018, 1st), C Groulx (2018, 2nd), C Zegra (2019, 1st), and Tracey (2019, 1st)... oh and Sprong is somewhere in that mix.

Goalie: Dostal (2018, 3rd)

Defense: Larsson (2015, 1st), Guhle (2015, 2nd - traded for), RHD Andersson (2018, 2nd - traded for today), Benoit (2018, UDFA), LaCombe (2019, 2nd), and Thrun (2019, 4th)

Then we have two first round picks in 2020 draft.

We're already in the rebuild mode. Right now, we're in the "growing pains" era. Here are the following players playing for the NHL club right now: Terry, Jones, Steel, Larsson, and Guhle. Comtois and Lundestrom are in the AHL. Andersson and Groulx will be in the AHL next season. Zegras looks like the crown jewel of the bunch. Getting more picks for this year's draft won't probably come to fruition for probably three years or so.

While you've picked on Bob being retained for quite some time, you haven't picked up on the long game Bob has already implemented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad