Confirmed with Link: [ANA/BOS] Ondrej Kase for 2020 1st round pick, David Backes (25% retained), and Axel Andersson

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Madden mentioned after the 2018 draft that they were happy with the draft but "missed out" on a D prospect that were hoping to get. I wonder if it was Andersson. The trade would make even more sense if it was.

Could be, they had two thirds around where some had him projected but the Bruins picked him before those obviously.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Bob said he has been watching Andersson since he was 15. He says his scouts have recommended him as a trade target.

The org has kept tabs on him, apparently. They have the interview on the official website. Also, the scouts wanted to trade up for him in the draft, which would be our European scouting group. Bob think he's about 2 1/2 years away from the NHL, but doesn't mind taking his time on Axel.

Also, Bob gave a hint about the future with, "Gain some assets so we don't have to hurry anybody." Might be a mea culpa that we're just too young right now and need more veterans to better season our youth.

Beggars can't be choosers and we finally have a RHD in our system. It helps that our scouting dept have been high on him and still are high on him. It also helps Murray will take his time on Axel... or at least I hope he does.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Why Bruins? Why????? Why must you pick on our senile GM and spank us on a trade? Have you no shame on taking advantage of elders?

Did it only take a bottle of single malt whiskey and some ego stroking to convince him that Axel was the Swedish Cam Fowler?

Poor grandpa... he didn't even know what he was signing when he filled the contract.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Why Bruins? Why????? Why must you pick on our senile GM and spank us on a trade? Have you no shame on taking advantage of elders?

Did it only take a bottle of single malt whiskey and some ego stroking to convince him that Axel was the Swedish Cam Fowler?

Poor grandpa... he didn't even know what he was signing when he filled the contract.

Wtf?

This was a fair deal when you consider all aspects and a first is a first. Ther will be a good prospect at that range.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Kind of? I’m not sure about the comps, but he’s definitely someone who’s got solid mobility and strength in his lower-body. He’s just unspectacular and although I’m admittedly not high on him, I can see him being one of those steady, bottom-pairing defenders that fans will appreciate one day. He’s just not super exciting.

Is there untapped offense there? Possibly, but he isn’t much of a driver, IMO.

If he's low ceiling, high floor (which seems to be the description), then that is a valuable add for the duck who have no young RHD. Even if he ends up a 4/5/6, that is a solid add given the teams needs.

Backes has been a class guy his entire career. Regardless of how well he can still play, I'm pleased to have him join the dressing room. He'll be a good mentor for the kids.

I wouldn't call him a class guy. He's actually made his fair share of dirty/scummy hits and cheap shots that have injured players. At this point in his career, it doesn't matter. But I don't consider him to be classy.

Sprong come on down, you’re getting your chance now?

I think a big part of the trade was to clear the logjam at RW. For sprong or others. I agree its time to play Sprong in the top 6.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I’ll take heat for this, but for some reason, it seems like Bob thinks that Backes is a legitimate asset more than a cap dump, which kinda sucks. Really thought he could squeeze another asset out of the Bruins, but Kases value is quite complicated.

Hopefully he’s a solid voice in the room for the young guys though.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
Backes is honestly more of RW than a center anyway. He doesn’t excel in face offs, and definitely doesn’t have the speed to keep up with centers defensively. He has a long stick and could probably play a good 4th line winger for 9-10 minutes a night. I don’t expect much production out of him, maybe like 2-3 points the rest of the season. The trade was about the 1st. Just gotta hope it ends up 28/29 instead of 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad