Confirmed with Link: [ANA/BOS] Ondrej Kase for 2020 1st round pick, David Backes (25% retained), and Axel Andersson

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Its interesting you say he looks 37 because the most injury prone #1 pick in the NBA looked like he was 50, Greg Oden looked like a 50 yearold man on his draft day and his body broke down like one, constantly being injured until he was out of the league. At least Kase was drafted in the 7th round.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
31 Thoughts: Could Joe Thornton's next destination be Toronto? - Sportsnet.ca

upload_2020-2-26_11-1-39.png

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
kase's issue has always been his injury history. the guy just can't stay healthy. we even traded him while injured.

his skill + compete are top notch. he goes to the dirty areas. if he could play a full 82 games season he'd easily be in the 50+ point range.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
kase's issue has always been his injury history. the guy just can't stay healthy. we even traded him while injured.

his skill + compete are top notch. he goes to the dirty areas. if he could play a full 82 games season he'd easily be in the 50+ point range.
I think whats happened in recent memory with Kesler, Eaves, Souray and Stoner probably makes BM even more averse to players with injury historys.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Hi Anaheim fans. Just wondering if any of you had insight into plans for Backes, if he’s skating and where?

Such a solid human, if he’s with the big Club he’ll be a great influence in your room.

Wishing best for both him and Heinen in CA. Trades are trades and business is business, but both are good guys and fans in Boston wish them well with you.

Thanks for any info. Was just interested.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Hi Anaheim fans. Just wondering if any of you had insight into plans for Backes, if he’s skating and where?

Such a solid human, if he’s with the big Club he’ll be a great influence in your room.

Wishing best for both him and Heinen in CA. Trades are trades and business is business, but both are good guys and fans in Boston wish them well with you.

Thanks for any info. Was just interested.
He's going to play, presumably when he is in shape. That is all we know.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I kind of wonder if Sherwood is just a placeholder for him right now and he ends up taking that spot with Rico and Heinen.
Backes could maybe play on our 4th line.... id like to see

Milano Getzlaf Terry
Heinen Steel Silfverberg
Jones Henrique Rakell
Deslauries Rowney Backes/sheerwood

Rakell should be demoted at this point... hes clearly not interested in playing.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Backes could maybe play on our 4th line.... id like to see

Milano Getzlaf Terry
Heinen Steel Silfverberg
Jones Henrique Rakell
Deslauries Rowney Backes/sheerwood

Rakell should be demoted at this point... hes clearly not interested in playing.
switch milano and heinen and i like it, the top line you posted all need the puck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
switch milano and heinen and i like it, the top line you posted all need the puck
Ya I kinda thought the same thing when I was writing it... but I lvoe the idea of Heinen+ silf potentially... but I dont think terry/Milano are the best defensive players, so might be better to have a defensive sound winger with them.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
First off Duckie, I think you have to be really cautious about how much of last season's late success might have been due to Bob. The whole team got a shot of adrenaline when RC was dismissed - the "chains were off" so to speak, and they could play. Yes, the move to a zone defense was a thing and other coaching decisions also helped I'm sure. But I think there were two major factors at work that weren't directly Murray: 1) the whole team could relish in the role of "spoiler," and they took to it with gusto; 2) they kids were brought up and allowed to play with virtually no downside for their mistakes - you could see how free and easy they were on the ice. Contrast that with this season, when Jones, Steel and Terry ALL looked tentative and indecisive, even though they were playing for a coach they knew and LIKED. The difference was there was real downside for them this year. They're getting it figured out, and anyone who looks at them honestly and doesn't just count points can see it.

Leadership is a big catch-all term that encompasses a whole lotta stuff. There's a really good (I think) article in the Athletic by Stephens about Backes, that talks a lot about leadership, and has some good quotes in it from Adam Henrique. Rico talks about how as a young player he came onto a veteran team in NJ, and then came to a veteran team here; he talked about how much he learned from watching those guys in practice, how they trained, how they prepared, how they handled themselves off the ice. This is the type of influence that Murray (and I) are hoping that Backes can have on the kids. Stephens wondered aloud in that piece if there were too many people who'd become complacent after we'd lost the "hate to lose" guys like Kesler, Cogs and Perry. I and others have openly wondered about whether Rakell is just mailing it in now; but I've noticed other players, including Kase, who seem to want to do it all themselves. That's not teamwork, and it doesn't lead to wins.

You realize when Bob took over it was a struggle, which included a 5 game losing streak. There wasn't a shot of adrenaline. Which also prompted trading away Monty after only playing 6 games under Bob.

Your opinion is your opinion, but your opinion doesn't match with the facts. Case in point, you said it was a shot of adrenaline. Wrong, it took some time to train playing zone and having the team play 200ft, or try to.

The Ducks were 3-6 in Bob's first 9 games as head coach. In the final 17 games, the Ducks went 11-5-1.

Terry has been with the team before Bob took over. Terry was 0.50 ppg under Bob. Jones was also playing before Bob took over. Jones was 0.19 ppg under Bob. Steel only played 9 games under Bob. Steel was 0.89 ppg under Bob for that short span. Your narrative that the kids were playing easy is false and was the driving force appears to be false.

Also note, Kase didn't play one game under Bob.

It's shameful to disregard the huge impact of switching game play philosophy, which took some time to get the kinks out.

Coaching Stats 2018-19
RC Stats: GF/G = 2.21 (31st), GA/G = 3.20 (22nd)
Bob Stats: GF/G = 2.77 (21st), GA/G = 2.65 (5th)

As you can tell by the facts, it was the defensive play that boosted the Ducks play and the forwards also playing defensively. Everyone bought in, for the most part.

We've struggled all season with some highs, but more lows. It's essentially the same team we ended with in 2018-19 going forward into 2019-20. Since Bob actually did coach and seen the players up close as well as seen the turn around, he can easily identify what is going on.

We rag on Rakell often. We cringe every time Getz throws a blind pass. Lindholm has been sloppy of late. The only veteran core player that's been consistent is Silf. Bob now knows that his veteran core players were a problem under RC and have become a problem again under Eakins. They're paid well and are supposed to be leaders of this club, but they're not executing it well enough.

Backes doesn't need to be here for his leadership, but the fact he's citing this is a shot at our leadership core. With the infusion of four new forwards for the past two games (one of them being Sherwood), they're not tainted under bad leadership. In fact, a couple of articles are stating the new guys and Sherwood have injected life back into the veterans. That's now how it's supposed to be!

But hey, you can stick to your narrative history and I'll stick to the facts, which supports what actually happened.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The facts are that BM didn’t really “Coach” the team. He’s on record as saying that the assistant coaches ran the line changes and defensive pairings during games. He was there to figure out who to jettison.

Last edited:

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
The facts are that BM didn’t really “Coach” the team. He’s on record as saying that the assistant coaches ran he line changes and defensive pairings during games. He was there to figure out who to jettison.

Exactly. And the long post every other thread about a GM who didn't really coach the team is kind of unnecessary.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
How many times did he finish the game after getting crushed for us, Only to miss some time after that with an "upper body injury" Hes a great players but just to injury prone..

The whole thing kind of sums everything with Kase up in a nutshell. Theres a ton of other guys, who if they take an awkward hit and go to the locker room, it's not that big of a thing. Sure theres some worry but with Kase its terrifying. Talented guy but it'll always be so much more of a concern with him than others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad