Confirmed with Link: [ANA/BOS] Ondrej Kase for 2020 1st round pick, David Backes (25% retained), and Axel Andersson

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I like andersson and 1st... but i feel like we coulda got another prospect on top of andersson

As it goes
We basically got a 1st to take backes, and traded kase for andersson.... kinda weak value on kase
Probably not. Thing is axelson is a very exciting d prospect. I wouldn’t take the rankings too seriously.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There’s a lot of nights he’s invisible though, or where he gets a point or two but is otherwise just bad on the ice.

Yeah you are right. There are nights you don’t even know he is playing. I just think he has been clutch with scoring goals which is something this team lacks as a whole.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It sounds to me like Bob's definition of leadership is...play better hockey so we can call this a retool and not a rebuild. That's not leadership, that's just evaluating how well or poorly a guy plays. And that goes right back to management evaluating their own talent. If he's unhappy that his core guys aren't playing better maybe he should reconsider who should be part of the core. It's his job to bring together the right players and right coaches to field a good team.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It sounds to me like Bob's definition of leadership is...play better hockey so we can call this a retool and not a rebuild. That's not leadership, that's just evaluating how well or poorly a guy plays. And that goes right back to management evaluating their own talent. If he's unhappy that his core guys aren't playing better maybe he should reconsider who should be part of the core. It's his job to bring together the right players and right coaches to field a good team.

It could also have little or nothing to do with their play at all. It's just somewhat assumed so because those three in particular aren't having good years.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It could also have little or nothing to do with their play at all. It's just somewhat assumed so because those three in particular aren't having good years.
It could. But if it's not play related what would that say about Bob's ability to know his players well enough to know who is a leader and who isn't? I was trying to give him an easier out.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It could. But if it's not play related what would that say about Bob's ability to know his players well enough to know who is a leader and who isn't? I was trying to give him an easier out.

Does it necessarily say anything about that? The way I see it, he'd like to see more from those guys, whether that's on and/or off the ice, and this is his way of calling them out somewhat.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Bob never stops complaining about leadership. Easier for him to say that the problem is players not stepping up and not him constructing one of the least skilled rosters in the league.

He should show leadership by accepting the blame for the team that he has built and step down. Most analysis indicate that the Bruins fleeced us and that the Bruins GM was a genius in dumping salary and improving his lineup without giving up legit prospects. Reading the BM’s transcript about the trade makes it sound like he’s a little kid getting bullied by his bigger brother... when it sounds like he asked for a bunch of different prospects but Sweeney said no to all of the asks and so Axel was a scrap throw in.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Bob never stops complaining about leadership. Easier for him to say that the problem is players not stepping up and not him constructing one of the least skilled rosters in the league.

Yeah, is it the leadership groups fault there is a massive lack of talent on the roster? Because that's what is losing us games...

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
“He took away everybody else, for God's sake, so I had to have something.“

What an idiot. Making a trade to justify that he’s working but a good GM wouldn’t just want futures (unless it’s a real high pick). He should have stood his ground for a guy like Studnicka who we could have tested out, or whomever our scouts think is a good long term player. He couldn’t even get a conditional pick if the Bruins got to the finals. Sounds like BM groveled to any teams willing to part with their 1st when the Bruins are the team under more pressure and going all in.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

What an idiot. Making a trade to justify that he’s working but a good GM wouldn’t just want futures (unless it’s a real high pick). He should have stood his ground for a guy like Studnicka who we could have tested out, or whomever our scouts think is a good long term player. He couldn’t even get a conditional pick if the Bruins got to the finals. Sounds like BM groveled to any teams willing to part with their 1st when the Bruins are the team under more pressure and going all in.
Would've never happened

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

And what if the scouts told BM that Andersson was their preferred choice? Studnicka is very good but was probably never on the table. Read up a little on Andersson and I think you'll see that he was far from a throw in or consolation prize.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
And what if the scouts told BM that Andersson was their preferred choice? Studnicka is very good but was probably never on the table. Read up a little on Andersson and I think you'll see that he was far from a throw in or consolation prize.
The things I’ve read were other scouts saying he might make a bottom pair NHL D. That and that he was the B’s 11th best prospect. But yes, I read Bob’s claim that Ducks’ scouts still liked him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

You seem pretty hell bent on putting the most negative spin possible on everything.

Reactions: Hoooch

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The things I’ve read were other scouts saying he might make a bottom pair NHL D. That and that he was the B’s 11th best prospect. But yes, I read Bob’s claim that Ducks’ scouts still liked him.

Yes but google the list of the top 10-15 Boston prospects and tell me which ones you'd put in your top 3 for the Ducks needs. For me, Andersson was #2 or #3 behind only Studnicka and perhaps Vaanakeinen. And when you consider how badly the Ducks need a solid RHD prospect in the system, Andersson could arguably be considered #1.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yes but google the list of the top 10-15 Boston prospects and tell me which ones you'd put in your top 3 for the Ducks needs. For me, Andersson was #2 or #3 behind only Studnicka and perhaps Vaanakeinen. And when you consider how badly the Ducks need a solid RHD prospect in the system, Andersson could arguably be considered #1.
But if you’re going for their BPA he drops to 11th best? Maybe we should have traded with someone else.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
But if you’re going for their BPA he drops to 11th best? Maybe we should have traded with someone else.

Apparently Murray asked for a lot of other players and this was the only bone Sweeney offered him. Murray was hell bent for that first no matter how low it was to justify his efforts. I think he may have even gone with only that 1st for us to take Backes and give them Kase. With the deadline around the corner Murray crapped his Depends diapers.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Apparently Murray asked for a lot of other players and this was the only bone Sweeney offered him. Murray was hell bent for that first no matter how low it was to justify his efforts. I think he may have even gone with only that 1st for us to take Backes and give them Kase. With the deadline around the corner Murray crapped his Depends diapers.

That is a particularly ridiculous take on the trade. Please, do some research on Andersson and then ask yourself what is the biggest area of need in the organization...then ask yourself whether or not Andersson was probably at the top of the Ducks list. And finally, in the OC Register BM was quoted as saying this deal had been brewing for quite a while and Boston was unwilling to give up Andersson. It sounds more like BM waited out the Bruins and got the deal he wanted instead of your sublime take.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Looking forward to the next Ducks / Bruins game. I guarantee Backes will lay out some hits in that game. Hope he gets the game winner when they meet. Backes is still a very serviceable player. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in ice coverage in terms of how he reads the ice. Has a high IQ on the ice. Staying healthy is the only issue, as far as what he brings on and off the ice, the Ducks got themselves a class act, an absolute pro.

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Oct 18, 2011
Lol @ everyone on the main boards acting like Backes is going to screw us cap wise. It’s obvious he was simply included because we had to pay $3 million to get a 1st in a Kase trade instead of a 2nd
His contract literally has no impact on anything the ducks will do. Murray did the right thing, using his capspace to gain assets

Reactions: duckpuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad