Confirmed Trade: [ANA/BOS] Danton Heinen for Nick Ritchie

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I like this move both ways. Heinen had topped out in Boston, but has some talent. He'll get a better chance in Anaheim.

Ritchie hasn't reached his potential but I find him very intriguing. Brings some muscle to Boston which they'll love. He's a guy I'd like on the Canucks.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
Here's the Ritchie brothers finding out Nick is moving to Boston

giphy.gif

Last edited:

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Heinen is a weird player. I defended him forever on the Bruins board, but I changed my tune lately after seeing him wilt so much under scrutiny. He was benched recently and responded by playing his worst hockey.

I think he has very limited upside, but he's a solid plug-and-play player. He can play multiple positions up and down the line-up. Very good touch on his passes. Can make some stupid turnovers but that's the case for 99% of the players in the league. By far his biggest detriment is that he over-passes. He'll regularly look to pass off in prime shooting positions. Wrist shot is OK but barely uses it. He's solid defensively but is a very cerebral player, so you're not getting any grit out of him. He reminds me a lot of how Eriksson looked in Boston except not having Eriksson's garbage goal ability. He also doesn't PK, or at least isn't used that way in Boston.

Put him, Getz, and Terry on the PP and they can pass it to each other for 2 minutes?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Heinen was probably going to be waived since Boston is so damn stacked. Instead they get Ritchie to continue their bad-boy culture. A horrid return for Murray who continues to hold grudges against players who go to arbitration.

Good luck to Ritchie. I think the zebras will let him play dirtier and not give him phantom penalties anymore... there is hope that he can play like Wilson now. He will probably score against the ducks as frequently as Wild Bill, Palmeiri, and Shea do, and how Kase will.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I have not seen Heinin, but I think this is a big win for Boston. You will be surprised how good Ritchie is with the puck and his passing. Plus he has an edge and think he will be a really nice player, especially in the playoffs.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Both do nothing

Richie takes a lot of penalties

Heinen >
Heinen is worthless. First year scored around 50 point pace and looked decent. Since then it's just been 2 steps backward. He's like Loui Erikssin uber lite, the type of player that you just normally don't really notice out there
Smooth and sound, but not very exciting to watch. Type of guy that disappears when the play gets physical. Ritchie is at least physical and the type of player you want in the playoffs. I like the trade a lot.

Reactions: Monsieur Patate

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Damn you BOS!

Actually pretty good deal for both teams. I like Ritchie better, Heinin seemed to have trailed off the last few seasons.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
hockey has very few examples of these big guys excelling before 200-300 career games

want to guess who has way more points after this many games between Ritchie and tom Wilson?

want to compare what jake Virtanen has done in his career up to now?

the team that drafts these guys and doesnt let them go through their growing pains ends up missing out a lot when the guy gets his act together 23-24

I remember a guy named cam neely

thise deals dont always work... sometimes the monster never gets on track... but when this type of player gets his act together he becomes the next lucic... the next neely… and as a fan for 50 years I really like what those guys did

when you dont have a guy like that... you need a guy like that

boston has Ritchie and federic now to work into the lineup when chara is retiring... we wont have to worry about anyone pushing us around

Reactions: Trizz617

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
as for Heinen... if you can afford his cap hit hes a very solid nhl pro. he follows coaching... focuses on his defensive assignments... has a good stick

he just doesnt have that something something that lets him elevate his game to another level. for a team that isnt wanting to contend I think hes a fine 23 man roster guy that will do the job hes supposed to do

I just fear hes paid a little too much to fit onto a contending teams cap management for his very vanilla game he provides

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
Wow we are stacking up nicely on 15th forwards and 12th defenceman for legitimate roster players.

why is our brain dead GM not acquiring draft picks instead of players who have already busted? At least there is still hope for the draft picks. This isn't a rebuild, its suicide.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Heinen was probably going to be waived since Boston is so damn stacked. Instead they get Ritchie to continue their bad-boy culture. A horrid return for Murray who continues to hold grudges against players who go to arbitration.

Good luck to Ritchie. I think the zebras will let him play dirtier and not give him phantom penalties anymore... there is hope that he can play like Wilson now. He will probably score against the ducks as frequently as Wild Bill, Palmeiri, and Shea do, and how Kase will.

Heinen getting waived? Come on that's bullshit.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Heinen was not getting waived

however I like the trade as a bruins fan. A redundant piece for a physical presence in the top 9. I’ll take it!

Heinen will be a 40-50 point two way winger in time imo. Just not sure it would have ever been consistently the case in Boston

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
Heinen was not getting waived

however I like the trade as a bruins fan. A redundant piece for a physical presence in the top 9. I’ll take it!

Heinen will be a 40-50 point two way winger in time imo. Just not sure it would have ever been consistently the case in Boston

In San Diego maybe

Reactions: cheesymc

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Heinen is a an extremely smart player. always thought of him as Loui Erickson'esque.. does a lot of the little things right.. it's too bad he has been so streaky for the bruins.. i really enjoyed watching him play. has an underated wrister, but looks to pass more than shoot..not very physical, but is still good on the half wall and good with his stick. I, personally am sad to see him go.
This is bang on, he tends to get a lot of the heckling on the Bruins board because he avoids hitting. He will be good used as a set up guy, do not expect more then that. Bruins really needed a physical player after striking out on his brother, Backes and Beleskey. Boston and its leadership will get Ritchie to fall in line or he will be gone quickly. Lots of guys ready for that spot as his brother learned.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Heinen is a really smart player. I think he will score 20-25 in this league in the next season or two. Really down on Sweeney for this one. The media seemingly ran him out of town. I was fine with trading him for an upgrade but instead we didnt.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The scouting reports sound exactly like Jakob Silfverberg when that trade happened. Literally to the T.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I didn't like Heinen... SOFTTT. Usually good defensively except for the one god awful pass a couple months ago that I deliberately remember where he was at the Boston blue line and passed it directly to the opposition giving them a breakaway and the Bruins lost because of it IIRC.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Heinen isn’t much better. The type of guy you just never notice ever. Not for good or bad reasons and seems to wilt away when the play gets more physical
Exactly! Ritchie gets the same amount of points, but can hit and fight as well. I think it was a good deal for the Bruins.

Reactions: cheesymc

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
As a Bruins fan I’m ok with that trade.

Danton « one hand on the stick » Heinen was exasperating at times. Too soft, no killer instinct in front of the net. Not a playoffs warrior.
Other than that he can still be a very good player, good defensively, puck possession, etc.
He needed a change of scenery I think.

Reactions: Scruffy

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
One of Ritchie or Kase will need to find a way to mesh with Coyle. The other will learn to play with Krejci or join the other Ritchie in Providence...

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I though Heinen was absurdly good at elevating his linemates' advanced stats somehow
I mean I dont keep up with advanced stats but I seriouslyyyyy doubt that. Put it this way
...if theres some advanced stat which says that then it's just further proof of how meaningless those stats are.

One of Ritchie or Kase will need to find a way to mesh with Coyle. The other will learn to play with Krejci or join the other Ritchie in Providence...
I think Kase plays with Krejci and Ritchie with Coyle. Actually like the thought of those 2 together forming some grit on that 3rd line.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad