Confirmed Trade: [ANA/BOS] Danton Heinen for Nick Ritchie

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Danton Heinen is a very good defensive player. He's ninth in the league in goals-against this year for players who play more than 10 mins per game. NHL.com Stats

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
i like it for Boston, but, Ritchie will take some bad penalties, and be a liability outside the O zone

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
If you enjoy players doing “all the small things right”, then you’ll like Heinen Ducks fans.

lol @ Bruins trying for another Ritchie after the first didn’t work out.

Reactions: WreckedUm

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Enjoy Ritchie taking a stupid 2 minute minor in the 3rd period of a close playoff game. Guy has some amount of skill and grit, but might be the dumbest hockey player I have ever watched. He seems to be getting better, but I am not sure to what level you can coach stupid.

Enjoy having a player that is easily pushed off the puck come playoff time...

Oh.

I see what the ducks did there...Smart.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Do people not realize that Richie sucks and takes a bunch of Penalties?

If I was a ducks fan I'd be happy

Reactions: SpiritOf82

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Heinen is a weird player. I defended him forever on the Bruins board, but I changed my tune lately after seeing him wilt so much under scrutiny. He was benched recently and responded by playing his worst hockey.

I think he has very limited upside, but he's a solid plug-and-play player. He can play multiple positions up and down the line-up. Very good touch on his passes. Can make some stupid turnovers but that's the case for 99% of the players in the league. By far his biggest detriment is that he over-passes. He'll regularly look to pass off in prime shooting positions. Wrist shot is OK but barely uses it. He's solid defensively but is a very cerebral player, so you're not getting any grit out of him. He reminds me a lot of how Eriksson looked in Boston except not having Eriksson's garbage goal ability. He also doesn't PK, or at least isn't used that way in Boston.

Reactions: kjpm and wintersej

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
Heinen is the better player, but Ritchie has tow things going for him with fans. He's big and was a 1st rounder. So, not surprise about most reaction here thinking "wth Anaheim whey helping Boston like that".

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Heinen had 38 points in his first 48 games in his first full season, but has been getting consistently worse since then

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I think its a good deal for both teams. Ritchie is quite clearly a better 4th line option than Heinen, but I think Heinen is a plug and play 3rd liner.

This makes sense for a team that wants to compete for a cup this year. Kase at RW replaces Heinen in the top 9, Bjork takes the other RW slot and Kuhlman is there for depth.

Bs save some cap space too...

Like the deal for the Bs.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
On ice, I like the deal for Boston. Nothing gets the Garden revved up in the spring like some hits, and the team has historically fed of that. Heinen was a useful player but one that was redundant. The team is better than before the deal. Anaheim got the better player, but one with a much lower ceiling (even still).

Wish they actually USED the cap space from this deal and the Backes deal. It will come in handy in the offseason with Krug and DeBrusk, but cap space isn't scoring goals for the Bruins this spring.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I expect Ritchie to play really well the rest of the year and through the playoffs. After this year, I'm not so sure. He's frustratingly inconsistent and seems to float a lot. He is physical when he wants to be, but lots of games you don't notice it. He could benefit from being in Boston's veteran culture.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Bjork's role on the team made Heinen expendable. Personally, I'm glad the Bruins kept Bjork overall (via any trade). Ritchie fills a need, and hopefully some coaching and maturity can help some of the dumb penalties. Honestly, I hope this is one of the type of deals that benefits both teams and both players involved.

Reactions: wintersej

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Boston is clearly trying to beef up in case they face Washington in the playoffs.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Heinen is a an extremely smart player. always thought of him as Loui Erickson'esque.. does a lot of the little things right.. it's too bad he has been so streaky for the bruins.. i really enjoyed watching him play. has an underated wrister, but looks to pass more than shoot..not very physical, but is still good on the half wall and good with his stick. I, personally am sad to see him go.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Heinen has all the elite skills: Visison, IQ, Soft hands, Shot but it's being held back by his average skating
he's really good defensively, really impressive stick work. wins a lot of board battles.

If he ever gets his skating going and shoots more i could easily see him as a 50-60pts player

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Heinen is a an extremely smart player. always thought of him as Loui Erickson'esque.. does a lot of the little things right.. it's too bad he has been so streaky for the bruins.. i really enjoyed watching him play. has an underated wrister, but looks to pass more than shoot..not very physical, but is still good on the half wall and good with his stick. I, personally am sad to see him go.

His release is insane when he uses it

Reactions: BruinLVGA

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
FWIW for B's fans, in a GDT earlier this year (was the Columbus Day/Pasta 4 goal game actually) I posted how it looks like it physically hurts Nick to actually think. Use him properly as net-front presence and ask him to do the dirty work in the crease and he should effective with the talent you guys have. I think it's been mentioned already, but his lack of smarts is going to be frustrating and will probably keep him from ever putting it together the way a guy with his talent can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad