Confirmed Trade: [ANA/BOS] Danton Heinen for Nick Ritchie

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Had a solid first full season. Then kinda trailed off.

Gets a lot of slack for not being physical; but he's kind of a jack of all trades/master at none with a decent hockey IQ.

I think he'll do better in a few years, but he's got some work to do.

I wouldn't call myself a Heinen fan, but I don't dislike him as much as others. I didn't really care that he didn't hit. I think he's got some skills, just not alot of finish.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
As a Bruins fan I’m ok with that trade.

Danton « one hand on the stick » Heinen was exasperating at times. Too soft, no killer instinct in front of the net. Not a playoffs warrior.
Other than that he can still be a very good player, good defensively, puck possession, etc.
He needed a change of scenery I think.

reiterating what I’ve believe. Decent player on a crap team like the ducks where there’s no expectations but too soft on a playoff team.

Reactions: MetM

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
The scouting reports sound exactly like Jakob Silfverberg when that trade happened. Literally to the T.

Heinen is a solid NHL'er. I think a lot of the hate directed at him is due to the fact he came hot out of the gate. It became an expectation for some. For others it became an obsession. His fist 30-40 games he looked like a top-6 two-way winger. That was 2017. I think he can play on any of the top-4 lines and not look out of place. He's also the guy that looks completely replaceable. If that makes any sense. Just kind of "there". Skilled, yet unspectacular. For a rebuilding Ducks team, maybe that is in need.

Reactions: CraigBillington

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I though Heinen was absurdly good at elevating his linemates' advanced stats somehow

The last few years he had been a good possession player. Which the eye test matches. Good stick and makes a lot of smart heady plays.

This year he really has struggled in finding his game and it has been obvious to the eye and in the stats.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
One of Ritchie or Kase will need to find a way to mesh with Coyle. The other will learn to play with Krejci or join the other Ritchie in Providence...

Reading the other boards a guy said that Ritchie and Kase have good chemistry. Maybe try them both with Coyle or Krejci and have DeBrusk and Bjork with the other.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Kase and Ritchie already have chemistry from playing together fir the Ducks. Throw Coyle at Center and I think it’s a great line

DeBrusk Krecji Bjork
Ritchie Coyle Kase

Or

Ritchie Coyle Bjork
DeBrusk Krecji Kase

Looks like Kuhlman is the extra for line 3
Blidh rotates in and out on line 4

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Kase and Ritchie already have chemistry from playing together fir the Ducks. Throw Coyle at Center and I think it’s a great line

Reading the other boards a guy said that Ritchie and Kase have good chemistry. Maybe try them both with Coyle or Krejci and have DeBrusk and Bjork with the other.

My money is on Ritchie-Coyle-Kase.

Coyle is a nightmare to play against when he has possession, Ritchie plays heavy and has the chemistry with Kase right out of the gate.

Going to be fun to watch.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's worth noting that last spring, Heinen had really good possession numbers in the playoffs (at least the first 3 rounds). He only wound up with 8 points, but IIRC all the peripherals and advanced stats showed that his linemates performed a hell of a lot better when he was on the ice than without him. He usually played with Coyle and Johansson, but he took a lot of shifts with Marchand and Bergeron (he rode that wing when Pasta broke his thumb last regular season), and I remember a lot of posters on the board were calling for Bruce to not make the roster so top-heavy and to put Heinen up there, claiming their corsi numbers were better with Heinen than with Pasta, as crazy as it sounds.

This year he's been mostly with Coyle, sometimes with Krejci. And I don't know what happened, but Heinen's game has gone to crap. He's unnoticable but not even doing the little things that add up anymore. Whether it's a slump and he'll bounce back or last year was an aberration and this is who he is, I don't know. But he's been kind of a nothing player this season. Maybe with an expanded role in Anaheim he'll grow as a player. But I think both players in this deal needed a change of scenery and each got what the needed: Anaheim gets a high-IQ player with offensive upside, Boston gets a guy who can get the crowd going with a hit or a fight.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
I pray kase does good his goal cellys are great

just please protect your noodle kid he’s one more concussion away from being soup

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I’m not familiar with Heinen so I’m trying to be open minded but I f***ing hate this trade. Here’s the thing about Ritchie: has he lived up to his draft status? No, but he’s improved every year. He has two big problems: inconsistency and A LOT of stupid penalties. He’s got vision, he’s got hands. He just needs to bring it every night. Hate this move as a Ducks fan. Hate it

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Heinen's been a one hit wonder season player, now he is one step away from trash category,
where as Ritchie is slowly developing to be an important top 9 player, who yes,..sometimes
is pretty dumb at different situations (still learning, aging, experience will polish that out),
but he can be used at any situation, does everything what coach asks, has nasty & physical side
and like previously mentioned, chip in some important goals and points too.
- each season, has improved offensively

I am baffled... what the bloody hell was Ducks GM thinking by trading Nick Ritchie.
Bruins wins this one

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
They should spread the wealth a bit this time.

Marchand - Bergeron - Kase
Debrusk - Krejci - Pastrnak
Bjork - Coyle - Ritchie
Kuraly - Lindholm - Wagner

Lets go Bruins.. (Hawks fan, but love watchin the Bs play)

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I knew it was time to get rid of Heinen after his performance ( or lack of ) Saturday night. You would think he would have come out flying in Vancouver since his top 6 spot was now in jeopardy after Boston had just picked up Kase from Anaheim. Plus he was back playing in his hometown with about 100 friends and family in attendance. And we got......absolutely nothing. No points, no shots, not much of an effort at all and he ended up a -4 for the night. Even if he ends up with more points than Ritchie ( which is likely ) I still think we're going to get more from Ritchie.

Reactions: bme44

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kinda funny the way the Bruins made this upgrade in stages. Was there a Cap reason they didn't just tack this onto the Kase/Backes deal?

Makes worlds of sense for the Bruins though. They get a guy like Kase to be that offensive player, and then move an absolutely forgettable middling player for a far bigger, more physical middling player.

I just don't really get what Anaheim gains in this part of the deal.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kinda funny the way the Bruins made this upgrade in stages. Was there a Cap reason they didn't just tack this onto the Kase/Backes deal?

Makes worlds of sense for the Bruins though. They get a guy like Kase to be that offensive player, and then move an absolutely forgettable middling player for a far bigger, more physical middling player.

I just don't really get what Anaheim gains in this part of the deal.
I think we prob see heinen as another silf type... i think hell fit in well in anahiem and likely get a big shot with us... when i watch boston hes a guy i always thought flew under radar but was noticable... love him and debrusk and woulda loved to grab either.

At the same time boston fans will like ritchie but he takes a lot of lazy penalties. Kase if healthy will become a fan favorite

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I expect Heinen to go out and score 8 goals in the next 10 games before regressing back to normal. Same post-trade spike as other recently traded Bruins Ryan Spooner and Ryan Donato.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins fans gave Heinen the Blake Wheeler treatment.

This is a brutal trade. Danton has so much upside. He's got a great shot, good vision, very coachable. He just needs some confidence.

My guess is that the Bruins did this because they think Ritchie can play on the 4th line in the playoffs better than Heinen.

I'll reserve judgement on Ritchie because he's a big guy with some talent and a cheap contract but I think this is a great trade for the Ducks.

Huh?

Heinen has some good qualities but his shot isn't one of them. Even when he does use it (which isn't enough IMO). He's got one shot, a bit of a toe-drag wrister that misses the net more often than he hits it. Which isn't surprising considering the banana toe curve he uses.

He has no slap-shot or one-timer to speak of. Like none.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think we prob see heinen as another silf type... i think hell fit in well in anahiem and likely get a big shot with us... when i watch boston hes a guy i always thought flew under radar but was noticable... love him and debrusk and woulda loved to grab either.

At the same time boston fans will like ritchie but he takes a lot of lazy penalties. Kase if healthy will become a fan favorite

I've never really found Heinen noticeable at all...other than Jack Edwards seemingly loves to say his name for no particular reason. Debrusk is a completely different story. He's a guy i constantly notice in Bruins games, making an impact.

I can see Heinen as a guy who like you said, could do fairly well in a big opportunity he may get in Anaheim. I'm just always wary of players like that. Guys who don't stand out much, but can find ways to be productive enough with big enough opportunities on bad teams or when situations push them upward for a while. To me, that sounds like where Heinen kinda fits in. He's what Mike Santorelli briefly was to a terrible Canucks team. Might post some points and look like "found money" for a while...but at the same time, could be in Europe shortly thereafter.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I've never really found Heinen noticeable at all...other than Jack Edwards seemingly loves to say his name for no particular reason. Debrusk is a completely different story. He's a guy i constantly notice in Bruins games, making an impact.

I can see Heinen as a guy who like you said, could do fairly well in a big opportunity he may get in Anaheim. I'm just always wary of players like that. Guys who don't stand out much, but can find ways to be productive enough with big enough opportunities on bad teams or when situations push them upward for a while. To me, that sounds like where Heinen kinda fits in. He's what Mike Santorelli briefly was to a terrible Canucks team. Might post some points and look like "found money" for a while...but at the same time, could be in Europe shortly thereafter.
Guess we will see, ive liked him as a buy lowish kinda player for awhile.... and i think ritchie was a good buy lower player. I think this is a solid trade for both sides.... ritchie should be a good heavey prescence for the bruins playoff run as long as he cant cut the dumb penalties out of his game.... i dont mind him takin a roughing call on a big hit or defending teamates but he takes a lot of bad slash, hook and trip penalties.

I enjoy watching bostons team , both trades give me even more of a reason to toon in

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Guess we will see, ive liked him as a buy lowish kinda player for awhile.... and i think ritchie was a good buy lower player. I think this is a solid trade for both sides.... ritchie should be a good heavey prescence for the bruins playoff run as long as he cant cut the dumb penalties out of his game.... i dont mind him takin a roughing call on a big hit or defending teamates but he takes a lot of bad slash, hook and trip penalties.

I enjoy watching bostons team , both trades give me even more of a reason to toon in

Yeah. That's always gonna be the double-edged sword with Ritchie. He's had that ability to take a dumb penalty at the wrong time, dating right back to Juniors. It's probably a smart gamble for the Bruins in that he'll be there for them if they need to inject more physicality into a series. But they've also got depth and options to push him down to basically not playing if he becomes a liability.

But a bad penalty at the wrong time, can absolutely be a killer in a close playoff series. That's the potential for this to backfire i guess, for one of the "frontrunner" teams.

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
With this trade that give Boston two heavy players with jam and hopefully a little finish. So it would only make sense to play Ritchie and Kase with Krejci. A slow possessive game is Krejci game. Then have Coyle centre between the two speedy Debrusk and Bjork.

Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta
Ritchie/Krejci/Kase (leave them second out of respect for Krejci but really the third line)
Debrusk/Coyle/Bjork
Lindholm/Kuraly/Wagner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad