Confirmed Trade: [ANA/BOS] Danton Heinen for Nick Ritchie

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Id like to see

Marchy Bergy Pasta
Ritchie DK Kase
JDB Coyle Bjork
this is it right here... bruins have been trying to create that 2011 magic ever since horton left.. let ritchie be the muscle.. kase be the finisher and dk can just set up.. jdb is too fast for krejci and have basically zero flow to their game even though they have been linemates for most part of two seasons

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Good trade for the Ducks, IMO. Heinen is criminally underrated. He is having a a rough season but hes been a pretty consistent 40 point guy who is excellent defensively. He is expendable, though, since the Bruins have a ton of left shot wingers. It does save the Bruins $1m so that's cool, I guess.

Can you be a consistent 40 point guy when you've hit 40+ points once out of 3 years? He's currently on pace for 29 points. He's a 30-35 point winger at this point.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Once again people still valuing former draft status over on ice results.

This trade should open up some eyes. You don’t move Top 10 picks unless you’ve given up on a guy. At least in a deal like this. Anaheim obviously feels Ritchie isn’t going to end up what they thought when they picked him.

Boston is taking the chance here. A legit role player vs the upside they still must see in Ritchie.

Time will tell obviously but on the surface it’s a pretty revealing deal in regards to where Anaheim sees Ritchie’s upside.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Once again people still valuing former draft status over on ice results.

This trade should open up some eyes. You don’t move Top 10 picks unless you’ve given up on a guy. At least in a deal like this. Anaheim obviously feels Ritchie isn’t going to end up what they thought when they picked him.

Boston is taking the chance here. A legit role player vs the upside they still must see in Ritchie.

Time will tell obviously but on the surface it’s a pretty revealing deal in regards to where Anaheim sees Ritchie’s upside.

But even the 10-15 goal version of Ritchie is also a role player...Heinen was redundant with Bjork also being able to play up and down the lineup on both wings. They were missing a role player like Ritchie, they had another Heinen. They have been trying to find a top 9 guy that can be a physical presence since they signed Backes and Beleksey.

Reactions: BEP

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
But even the 10-15 goal version of Ritchie is also a role player...Heinen was redundant with Bjork also being able to play up and down the lineup on both wings. They were missing a role player like Ritchie, they had another Heinen. They have been trying to find a top 9 guy that can be a physical presence since they signed Backes and Beleksey.

Oh, I agree from Boston’s perspective. It’s Anaheim moving him that should be revealing. Boston wins this no doubt (even though they’re taking a chance) because if he becomes a legit power forward, they get to enjoy him for years and got him for a role player.

Just think people should keep deals like this in perspective. Rarely do we see a team give up on a guy they just recently seen as one of their foundations of the future.... and that player goes on to be successful somewhere else. A guy who’s role in Boston won’t guve him the same opportunities he seen in Anaheim. At least not right off the bat.

I like it from Boston’s perspective though. The chance they’re taking for this season is Heinen has had some nice games in his role in recent memory. We just don’t know how Ritchie will react to a lessor role. But.... Sometimes guys like Ritchie just need a wake up call and maybe this is it.

Anaheim is the big loser here because of asset management. Giving up a guy you’ve invested so much in, is never a good thing.

Reactions: wintersej

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Can you be a consistent 40 point guy when you've hit 40+ points once out of 3 years? He's currently on pace for 29 points. He's a 30-35 point winger at this point.

His first two years he averaged exactly 40 points, so... yes. He's really been jerked around the last two years never sticking in any one spot for any period of time. You can debate whether that was on him or the coaching staff, probably a bit of both. I think if you play him on the left side and let him develop some chemistry he will easily put up 15 and 25 and play really good defense for Anaheim. He will never punch anyone, and that's why most Boston fans don't like him.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Warning Boston fans again - unless you roll 4 lines, you dont' want Ritchie in the top 6. He is not in great condition and will fade drastically as the game wears on. Also prone to stupid penalties. But see for yourselves

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
His first two years he averaged exactly 40 points, so... yes. He's really been jerked around the last two years never sticking in any one spot for any period of time. You can debate whether that was on him or the coaching staff, probably a bit of both. I think if you play him on the left side and let him develop some chemistry he will easily put up 15 and 25 and play really good defense for Anaheim. He will never punch anyone, and that's why most Boston fans don't like him.
Lots of people also dislike him because he goes missing for long stretches and you hardly notice him. People also dislike him because he shows next to zero emotion out there. I can picture a line brawl with him on the ice and he's checking his cellphone. Has nothing to do with "he will never punch anyone" you can show some sort of emotion in big games.

The more the game gets heavy, the less likely you are to see Heinen. Solid player defensively, far too inconsistent offensively.

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Why did Boston do this?

It's a pure hockey trade and the Bruins needed to add some physicality to there forward lines. Danton is a coaches swiss army knife player, who isn't a defensive liability, can play and fill holes up and down the line up and has upside for 30-50pts.

Ritchie adds grit to the 3rd line and some size for the Bruins which they are lacking and he comes at $1.3 million less than Danton
Danton adds more speed and skill and some upside on the point totals if he gets some regular line mates.

The B's needed a guy like Tom Wilson, Brendan Lemieux etc on their roster - so they settled at a poor mans version of this with Ritchie and now have cap space next year to sign Krug and bring up some of their younger talent that earns a spot in camp.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Ritchie's role= stupid penalties.

that being said, probably a fair trade for both from what it looks like.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Warning Boston fans again - unless you roll 4 lines, you dont' want Ritchie in the top 6. He is not in great condition and will fade drastically as the game wears on. Also prone to stupid penalties. But see for yourselves

That's fair, I think this is more of a playoff run grit add with $1.3 million in cap savings - so he and Kase are both under contract for next year and we need to sign the below:

Bjork
DeBrusk
Krug
Chara
Halak
Grezlyck

And we have 20 million to make those signings assuming the cap stays flat.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
The team is better today than before the TDL, and we're in a far better cap situation.

Giving up the 1st round pick hurts, but we'll manage. Studnicka looking good in the AHL and Coyle being locked up helps me with giving up the opportunity to draft a center.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

That's not how it works. Usually you need to actually score the amount of points per year to be labeled a "X" point player.

1st season = 47 points
2nd season = 34 points (36 point pace full 82)
3rd season = 22 points (OPF 29 = 31 points full 82)

How is this a 40 point player?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Boston needed a little more jam in their line up so I think this was a good move for them. I get that Ritchie takes untimely penalties (must run in the family), but in the playoffs the refs usually put away the whistles

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Boston needed a little more jam in their line up so I think this was a good move for them. I get that Ritchie takes untimely penalties (must run in the family), but in the playoffs the refs usually put away the whistles

I wish his brother took untimely penalties. Brett just did nothing.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Still in the system though or was he claimed?

I'm assuming with his brother now in the mix, maybe they'd consider calling Brett back up and seeing if there's anything there.
Still with the team, but on the farm side right now if memory servers me correct. No one claimed him.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I believe every regular on the Bruins roster has had a fighting major over the past few years, I'm not even sure if Heinen has taken a roughing penalty, or a coincidental of any kind. Just kind of funny.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I expect Heinen to go out and score 8 goals in the next 10 games before regressing back to normal. Same post-trade spike as other recently traded Bruins Ryan Spooner and Ryan Donato.

I hope not. Bob would sign him to a 5 year 20 million contract to "lock him down" in his typical fashion and then we would have another albatross of a contract when he regresses. Bob's is a bit premature with short term results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad