American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLT

Jan 7, 2019
Here are the full highlights from Jack Hughes's performance at the 2019 U18 World Championship...

Reactions: mtnet

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thats exactly what I was thinking. We also won Gold with the Hughes and Tkachuk age group that was pretty bad. They are going to need to overcome bad coaching and a lack of talent from the 18's age group. Appert is a worse coach than Wroblewski, and this 2002 age group is awful.

I think we are going to be good in net with Commesso. He's not Knight, but he'll likely give us a good presence in net for a team that won't be as possession dominant. We do need a better back up for him. The current guy isn't any good, in my opinion.

I like some of the defenders. I think its a better group of defenders than the 2001 age group. Kleven, Sanderson, Faber and Powell all should be top 2-3 round picks, and maybe first rounders with a good season. There may be no huge standout among them like a Hanifin, Werenski or McAvoy, but the most recent age group didn't have that type of defensemen either. I also think Truscott isn't bad either, and the 2003 age group is supposed to have some very good defensemen, so maybe a few of those players will get promoted.

The forwards are the real issue. I can count like six quality forwards in that age group and no standouts, so we are going to need some reinforcements from the 17's. Hopefully a few of those guys can add some of what Hughes, Turcotte and Caufield added to the 2018 team that didn't have much forward depth either.

It doesn't appear like there's that many good candidates outside the NTDP for spots next year either. Stranges, Schingoethe and Keane are some of the names that would be good enough, but two of those three play for London who almost always is still playing at that time of year, so I don't know if we'll get many reinforcements from outside the program, like we could've had this year. We'll have to see who plays well at the Hlinka, but it doesn't look like an age group with anywhere near the talent as the current one, inside or outside the NTDP.

Bordeleau-Smilanic-Peterson
Tuch-Slaggert-Beniers
?-?-?
?-?-?
?

Sanderson-Faber
Kleven-Powell
?-?
Truscott

Commesso
?

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Thats exactly what I was thinking. We also won Gold with the Hughes and Tkachuk age group that was pretty bad. They are going to need to overcome bad coaching and a lack of talent from the 18's age group. Appert is a worse coach than Wroblewski, and this 2002 age group is awful.

I think we are going to be good in net with Commesso. He's not Knight, but he'll likely give us a good presence in net for a team that won't be as possession dominant. We do need a better back up for him. The current guy isn't any good, in my opinion.

I like some of the defenders. I think its a better group of defenders than the 2001 age group. Kleven, Sanderson, Faber and Powell all should be top 2-3 round picks, and maybe first rounders with a good season. There may be no huge standout among them like a Hanifin, Werenski or McAvoy, but the most recent age group didn't have that type of defensemen either. I also think Truscott isn't bad either, and the 2003 age group is supposed to have some very good defensemen, so maybe a few of those players will get promoted.

The forwards are the real issue. I can count like six quality forwards in that age group and no standouts, so we are going to need some reinforcements from the 17's. Hopefully a few of those guys can add some of what Hughes, Turcotte and Caufield added to the 2018 team that didn't have much forward depth either.

It doesn't appear like there's that many good candidates outside the NTDP for spots next year either. Stranges, Schingoethe and Keane are some of the names that would be good enough, but two of those three play for London who almost always is still playing at that time of year, so I don't know if we'll get many reinforcements from outside the program, like we could've had this year. We'll have to see who plays well at the Hlinka, but it doesn't look like an age group with anywhere near the talent as the current one, inside or outside the NTDP.

Bordeleau-Smilanic-Peterson
Tuch-Slaggert-Beniers
?-?-?
?-?-?
?

Sanderson-Faber
Kleven-Powell
?-?
Truscott

Commesso
?

Pretty much agree on all accounts. The U17 strength is on the back end which I think bodes well for tournament play but you still have to put pucks in the net and the U17s struggle to do so. I dont think you drop off at all from Knight to Commesso. Defense is physical and has some puck movers. Kleven/Sanderson will most likely be high picks, Faber and Powell move the puck well. Up front the potential is there and power forwards like Peterson and Tuch have to take the next step. They are power forwards and its tough the U17 season to play that style when you are up against 21 year olds. Borderleau and Beniers would be my centers - Slaggert, Smilinac, Peterson, Tuch would be the wingers on top 2 lines. You hit the nail on the head with the 3rd and 4th liners - they need help up front and most likely it will have to come from the incoming U17 class.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
In a game I saw a few months ago - Borderleau & Beniers stood out. In the same game Chase Yoder also looked good - very fast.

Reactions: beaverjc

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Has a single team ever had 5 of the top 10 picks?
What about 7 or more first round picks?
not that I am aware. they might have 7 of the top 15 with York and Knight in there as well. 5 forwards as well, is insanity as is lol...this will be record breaking for a program/team for the amount of top 10/15 picks and 1st round picks overall.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
What a monster squad. And like the best NHL team and best college team this year, they unfortunately choked before making the big one.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Are Hejduk twins any good?

marek is very slick & skilled, but raw IMO. needs to work on consistency of compete & getting his nose dirty -- thus not being a perimeter player at times. david is pretty solid on the backend. not sure there is much offense to him, but good all around & on defensive side of puck. both still young though.

Reactions: canucklax and SK94

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Max Namestinikov is another interesting name. Is he NTDP good? His big bro plays for Russia but maybe USA hockey can snatch him if he is good enough.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Pretty soon you will have the UN of hockey on that team. The NHL and the AHL are the best recruiters you could possibly have.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Max Namestinikov is another interesting name. Is he NTDP good? His big bro plays for Russia but maybe USA hockey can snatch him if he is good enough.

Was with Compuware 14U this past season. Really what he brings. Skating needs a bit of improvement and I don't see a crazy high end overall skill level - but his IQ is exceptional and he competes like a dog. Plays a grinding style in the ozone and works dirty areas well. That plus his awareness of knowing where to be gets him looks offensively. A kid who looks like he can thrive in any type of role as a centerman. Was deployed a lot against opponents' top lines - impressive 200 ft commitment. The thing that also is always appealing is he won't hesitate to engage in the pesky game if that presents itself from any opposition skater(s), but knows how to reign it in and not go overboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: SK94

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone know where to find US prep school stats for this season? Specifically ISL.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
With the USHL draft you usually hear about a guy or two that turned down the NTDP. Luke Mittelstadt is one of them and he went 2nd overall to Madison.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
They're not notable prospects but the Penticton Vees sure are loading up with American players right now. Danny Weight and Cade Webber are both headed there next year, which is surprising in that you'd expect them in the USHL. Webber was a 5th overall pick of the Madison Capitals in 2017, so that's a blow for Madison to lose him to the BCHL. Weight is the prototypical NTDP player who's not ready for the NCAA but usually would go high in the USHL Phase 2 draft for an overage season with a new team, much like his former teammates Sean Farrell, Ryder Rolston, and Cameron Rowe in this year's draft.

Penticton is also the rumored destination for floundering first rounder Jay O'Brien.

Reactions: Dux917

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
They're not notable prospects but the Penticton Vees sure are loading up with American players right now. Danny Weight and Cade Webber are both headed there next year, which is surprising in that you'd expect them in the USHL. Webber was a 5th overall pick of the Madison Capitals in 2017, so that's a blow for Madison to lose him to the BCHL. Weight is the prototypical NTDP player who's not ready for the NCAA but usually would go high in the USHL Phase 2 draft for an overage season with a new team, much like his former teammates Sean Farrell, Ryder Rolston, and Cameron Rowe in this year's draft.

Penticton is also the rumored destination for floundering first rounder Jay O'Brien.

Whats the thinking behind why these players are heading to the BCHL instead of the USHL? Seems like the BCHL is more wide open but the USHL is a much higher level of play.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I don't know who runs that account or how plugged in they are, but they certainly have all the hyped names on there as of this point. Fleming, Kaplan, McGroarty, and Lucius are of particular interest to me. You'd imagine Cruz is about to hit a growth spurt as he's tiny compared to his older brother Chaz.

One thing I'm curious about is Seamus Casey. Is he a forward or defenseman? I've seen him listed as both and I believe he's played both, but I thought he was a forward now. Does anyone know?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Whats the thinking behind why these players are heading to the BCHL instead of the USHL? Seems like the BCHL is more wide open but the USHL is a much higher level of play.

I'm not sure. I'm guessing it's the wide open play compared to the more defensive USHL. Penticton is obviously a top BCHL team as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's some back room coordination between the players to all go to the same place and stack the deck a bit versus being randomly drafted by a USHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad