American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
they finally have to give Nick Fohr a chance.

It's well deserved, he put in his time and learned from some really good coaches.

He's developed some really really great D and definitely puts the work in

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I'm a fan of the NTDP focusing on younger coaches. They connect well with the kids (that was a big part of Wroblewski's success) and they're less likely to be ingrained to the old way of things than older coaches. USAH coaching is not forward thinking at all, so bringing in young coaches to help shake things up is a plus. And if they do well, they'll move up the ranks and still have long coaching careers ahead of them.

The only way I'd consider an older coach would be if that coach is known for their player development.

I think younger coaches are fine for the reasons you said but just because someone is young doesn't mean they are forward thinking or the ideal person to be coaching 20~ of our top prospects. And just because someone is old doesn't mean they are stuck in the past. Sure there are guys who are stuck in their ways, but there are guys who are successful because they adapt and have learned a lot and continue to do so. I think an older coach like a Red Berenson (maybe five-ten years ago would have been ideal) or someone else who has been around the block would be brilliant if they were interested.

The success of the Steel is due to Ryan Hardy and his recruiting/drafting.

Hardy deserves plenty of credit but I think he would be the first to say a big part of being able to do such a good job is having the resources and staff that enable him to do such a great job. Which of course he deserves some credit for hiring and so on...

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
I think younger coaches are fine for the reasons you said but just because someone is young doesn't mean they are forward thinking or the ideal person to be coaching 20~ of our top prospects. And just because someone is old doesn't mean they are stuck in the past. Sure there are guys who are stuck in their ways, but there are guys who are successful because they adapt and have learned a lot and continue to do so. I think an older coach like a Red Berenson (maybe five-ten years ago would have been ideal) or someone else who has been around the block would be brilliant if they were interested.

Hardy deserves plenty of credit but I think he would be the first to say a big part of being able to do such a good job is having the resources and staff that enable him to do such a great job. Which of course he deserves some credit for hiring and so on...

Absolutely. Hardy and the Chicago Steel have become the icon franchise of the USHL and it has been an organizational effort to be sure. Hardy is and up and coming GM that will surely excel up the ranks of hockey if he decides to do so.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Of course there are exceptions to the rules but I'd prefer coaches who have developed in systems that are more forward thinking, i.e. the ADM. That's inherently going to be younger coaches. Agree that young doesn't mean good by default though. Most young coaches suck too. That's not to say they're aren't good older candidates, but too many of them coach a bygone era of hockey because it's what they know.

goavsblue8

Aug 1, 2020
Mayotte would be a great choice - I just don't think he would take it.

He's really in line to get the next big college job when it opens up, if that school would go the "hot" assistant route (it would be Mayotte or UMass's Ben Barr). Just think he's eying his next move to be a head coach college job.

Obviously it didnt happen but getting Mayotte to leave um will be very difficult. UM was sort of his dream job and another big reason why he said he took a step back in title(associate hc to assistant) to come um is he saw the prospect pipeline that would be hitting um's campus over these next several years. Hell he's the one who recruited beniers to UM. Guessing he probably wants to see some of these upcoming years through unless step right college hc job opens up.

Reactions: OldScool
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad