American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Four future Miami Redhawks (subject to change of course) on the team in Gallagher, Homer, Martin and Savage. That's a pretty impressive recruiting coup for a team that has been terrible the last four seasons. We'll see if Bergeron can hold on to all of them - he's done well with far less heralded recruits at Bowling Green.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Could someone give me a report on Kaidan Mbereko? Homer is the starter, however, this lad is 5'11" and a 150 lbs so suggestions are that he's fast?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
surprised they didn't take michael bevilacqua on the backend. only because of the size & strength factor he brings, along with really good mobility & decent two way ability. brings a different element than the other guys.

Reactions: Dux917

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
surprised they didn't take michael bevilacqua on the backend. only because of the size & strength factor he brings, along with really good mobility & decent two way ability. brings a different element than the other guys.

I have a feeling the team was pretty much picked even before the try-outs took place. As, I've heard some guys that didn't play well, made the team and vice versa - guys who looked good that week, didn't make the cut.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I have a feeling the team was pretty much picked even before the try-outs took place. As, I've heard some guys that didn't play well, made the team and vice versa - guys who looked good that week, didn't make the cut.

As it should for the most part. Team should be selected on a large body of work not a 3 day camp IMO. USA hockey spends a lot of time and effort scouting for this team so I assume a majority of the team is locked in prior to the camp and they fill in the rest of the roster with camp standouts.

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
Gotcha. Not calling you out just curious where the info is coming from.

Ill first start by saying that Athletic Directors at most non-hockey universities have no interest in adding any sports including hockey. They are evaluated on football, football, and football. Adding on a new sport means complying with Title IX, new facilities, and funding all of it. Almost 90% of what an Athletic Director are evaluated on is what happens to the football program. Also, in the vast majority of Athletic Departments only Mens Basketball and Football make money and every other sport is a major money loss. Basically football funds everything.

So to approach and Athletic Director and ask them to add hockey, even with a massive check in your hand, is unlikely to go anywhere. Hell, Iowa is going to have a brand new 5k hockey arena just off campus, a conference to join, and a great fan base....and they still are not considering hockey. Same with Nebraska.

ASU had a terrible club program until Greg Powers came along and turned ASU into a club powerhouse and won the club National Championship. He then had a mega-donor (who was not an ASU alum) approach him about having the club team turning D1. At the time ASU hired Ray Anderson as the AD who had a very open mind and liked the idea of adding hockey. The problem was the donor wanted hockey to be added ASAP or he was going to walk.

Now understand its not easy to force something through a public school with 100+k students. They basically made magic happen and obtained the approval from everyone necessary. The donation was also for over $30 Million. The school was also planing on building a field house for the volleyball, wrestling, and gymnastic teams and now they have the anchor tenant (hockey) to go with it. Shovels go into the ground later this year for that facility.

After watching all of this and being involved in it ASU is lucky to add hockey. So many different things could of derailed it. I guess timing is everything on this one and Greg Powers and Ray Anderson worked tirelessly to make it happen.

If you want to anything about conference affiliation I'm happy to share that as well.

Did they have to add a women’s sport as well to meet title IX requirements? I’ve heard stories about donors coming forward at CU Boulder willing to fund wrestling and everything that goes with it but was shot down because a women’s sport would need to be added as well and there wasn’t funding. Just interested in how it went down. Thanks

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Initially Shingoethe wasn't offered
Correct. Shingoethe was not initially offered out of camp....other players declined offers (player decided to stay in Minnesota, one signed with OHL) and then Shingoethe was then offered after others declined so they could fill roster and they moved down the list. He then declined..

I still cant fathom a kid declining to play at the USNDTP....but to each his own path I guess.

I think the Gratton situation was pretty similar...came into camp with a lot of hype. Didnt have best camp and found himself on the outside looking in. Hopefully they use it as motivation as they continue their development.

Last edited:

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Zegras left the exhibition game with what looks to be a significant arm injury. If he and Turcotte are both out then USA is in a really shitty spot. Can they still add someone to the roster to replace him if he is indeed out for the tourney? Kaliyev is one of the biggest names not in the OHL/USHL playoffs. Maybe call up another U17

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I still cant fathom a kid declining to play at the USNDTP....but to each his own path I guess.
Staying at home with your parents and friends while going to, and playing for, your HS, is the dream of many Minnesotans. Playing in the State tournament is a very special experience. The coaching can be very good. It is not uncommon for a coaching staff to have at least one former NHL'er on it. There is a proven track record of Minnesota HS players going on to the NHL.

Unless you are unhappy at home, or don't like your school team, why go far away from everything you love?

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Staying at home with your parents and friends while going to, and playing for, your HS, is the dream of many Minnesotans. Playing in the State tournament is a very special experience. The coaching can be very good. It is not uncommon for a coaching staff to have at least one former NHL'er on it. There is a proven track record of Minnesota HS players going on to the NHL.

Unless you are unhappy at home, or don't like your school team, why go far away from everything you love?

I totally get the pride in repping your local high school but I think the pride in representing your country supercedes that. Nevermind you are getting top of the line coaching, training, facilities, etc. and all that goes along with being a part of the USNDTP is vast superior to what any high school can offer.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Correct. Shingoethe was not initially offered out of camp....other players declined offers (player decided to stay in Minnesota, one signed with OHL) and then Shingoethe was then offered after others declined so they could fill roster and they moved down the list. He then declined..

I think the Gratton situation was pretty similar...came into camp with a lot of hype. Didnt have best camp and found himself on the outside looking in. Hopefully they use it as motivation as they continue their development.
Go ask Nick Smaltz why he turned down NTDP from 1996 team.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I totally get the pride in repping your local high school but I think the pride in representing your country supercedes that. Nevermind you are getting top of the line coaching, training, facilities, etc. and all that goes along with being a part of the USNDTP is vast superior to what any high school can offer.
Don't agree. MNHS is the heart and soul of hockey, IMO. USDP is an elitist, USA hockey construct.

I don't buy that playing for Ann Arbor is more patriotic than playing for your hometown, for your family and friends. If you have experienced the thrill of a packed house going mad in the State tournament then you understand how special it is.

Plus, the hair.

Reactions: SabresSharks

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Don't agree. MNHS is the heart and soul of hockey, IMO. USDP is an elitist, USA hockey construct.

I don't buy that playing for Ann Arbor is more patriotic than playing for your hometown, for your family and friends. If you have experienced the thrill of a packed house going mad in the State tournament then you understand how special it is.

Plus, the hair.
I've always admired MN players' loyalty to their high school teams, and their overwhelming desire to compete in the state tourney. Turning down an NTDP offer must be an extremely difficult decision, and one they surely know is not necessarily in the best interest of their hockey careers.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've always admired MN players' loyalty to their high school teams, and their overwhelming desire to compete in the state tourney. Turning down an NTDP offer must be an extremely difficult decision, and one they surely know is not necessarily in the best interest of their hockey careers.
Both Mittelstadt and Brinkman have done it recently. Both played on teams with at least one former NHL'er on the staff, and played in a situation with excellent facilities and training, then went on to play NCAA. They are doing fine.
A MN player from a less heralded or equipped HS program might be better off playing for Ann Arbor. Not necessarily the " big boys" such as Duluth East, Elk River, Eden Prairie, etc..they have plenty of elite competition to play against in the off season, and all sorts of on and off ice training.

Don't discount the possibility that going USDP might hurt some players more than help them. Some players benefit from another year or two of home cooking.

Reactions: SabresSharks

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Was Thomas Harley ever in NTDP conversation? Pretty good prospect right now.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Did they have to add a women’s sport as well to meet title IX requirements? I’ve heard stories about donors coming forward at CU Boulder willing to fund wrestling and everything that goes with it but was shot down because a women’s sport would need to be added as well and there wasn’t funding. Just interested in how it went down. Thanks

Yes on the women's sport...ASU added women's lacrosse and rowing to comply with Title IX. The gift had to include full endowment for scholarships and operating costs for the women's sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad