American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I don't know who runs that account or how plugged in they are, but they certainly have all the hyped names on there as of this point. Fleming, Kaplan, McGroarty, and Lucius are of particular interest to me. You'd imagine Cruz is about to hit a growth spurt as he's tiny compared to his older brother Chaz.

One thing I'm curious about is Seamus Casey. Is he a forward or defenseman? I've seen him listed as both and I believe he's played both, but I thought he was a forward now. Does anyone know?

Casey is a natural defenseman as of now. But for his compuware squad this past season he would typically take at least a couple shifts per period up on wing.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Casey is a natural defenseman as of now. But for his compuware squad this past season he would typically take at least a couple shifts per period up on wing.

He's registered some pretty impressive stats as a defenseman. Should be interesting to see if he makes the transition to forward or sticks with defense.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I don't know who runs that account or how plugged in they are, but they certainly have all the hyped names on there as of this point. Fleming, Kaplan, McGroarty, and Lucius are of particular interest to me. You'd imagine Cruz is about to hit a growth spurt as he's tiny compared to his older brother Chaz.

One thing I'm curious about is Seamus Casey. Is he a forward or defenseman? I've seen him listed as both and I believe he's played both, but I thought he was a forward now. Does anyone know?

I’m not sure who runs it either I just started following it.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
He's registered some pretty impressive stats as a defenseman. Should be interesting to see if he makes the transition to forward or sticks with defense.

To me he falls into the brent burns/big buff category in that he can play both but is able to have more of an impact controlling the play from the backend.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Howard&McGroarty 2nd line thou???

At the 2019 WSI tournament , Fleming and Howard (04 Minnesota Blades) are playing in the same 1st line,
Fleming as a C, Howard as a RW.

McGroarty plays 1st line for the 04 Draft Day selects

McGroarty & Fleming are the two top scorers, both have 16 points so far.
Howard is 3rd with 13 points, leader in goals with 9.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Tyler Duke
Joshua Nidermayer
Lucas Buchanan
Nathan Rivet
William Robinson
Benjamin Cochrane
Denver Damphousse
Harrison Ballard
Charles Garon
Michel Hyughe
Gregory Harley

I found 11 USA/CAN duals in 2004 age group. I know Duke is pretty good but is there any other guy who could be in NTDP conversation. I know some guys are not really good but i listed everybody i found. Most interested i am is Harrison Ballard any good.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019

This is a pretty accurate view in my opinion. I think you can include Ryan Chesley (SSM) on the D list as well. The forwards are definitely a strong bunch and you can mix and match pretty much any way you want. Casey and Leddy would be an insane pairing. Casy skill and offensive ability with Leddy vision, speed and strength. They are both incredible skaters. Lane and Hunter already play together and can put up the points - they can get out of position however due to both being so offensive minded. Something you hope you can pull back or pair them with more responsible D partners. Was at WSI and its a pretty amazing birth year. A lot of good players. Will be fun to see who rises to the top by this time next year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Whats the thinking behind why these players are heading to the BCHL instead of the USHL? Seems like the BCHL is more wide open but the USHL is a much higher level of play.
I wouldn't say much higher. I think the best BCHL teams would do reasonably well against the USHL.
Certainly the USHL is more defensively responsible.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
I’m not sure who runs it either I just started following it.
Casey is a defenseman. However, he plays both. He played both defense and forward at WSI. He also played both at Compuware this past year. He is definitely a bit of a liability when he plays D due to his offensive flair. But that doesn't seem to be an issue these days if you can put up points.

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018
That's a strong roster to be, if you ask me.

One question, Zach Filak, how good is he, anyone have a scouting report on him?
- has by far the most views on Eliteprospects of all of these players, about 30K, his brother has almost 15K
who are these Filak brothers
All I know about them is I think the dad really pumped his kids tires on network 54 in Detroit and there was always a lot of banter about it. I think he said the 02 was one of the best in the world in squirts and posters always gave him $#!* about it.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
Casey is a defenseman. However, he plays both. He played both defense and forward at WSI. He also played both at Compuware this past year. He is definitely a bit of a liability when he plays D due to his offensive flair. But that doesn't seem to be an issue these days if you can put up points.
Let me also clarify. His skill level is through the roof.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
How was Kaplan at the WSI? Kid is a monster for his age, already 6'-2", 185 pounds? Gauthier is also a beast...6'-1", 185 and his HPHL stats weren't far from some of the best '03's like Pastujov though he's a year younger.

Any Knight's on the horizon for goal, in the '03 or '04 age groups? Haven't heard too much buzz on even the '03's in net who made the USNTDP U17 squad for next season.

Last edited:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Tyler Duke
Joshua Nidermayer
Lucas Buchanan
Nathan Rivet
William Robinson
Benjamin Cochrane
Denver Damphousse
Harrison Ballard
Charles Garon
Michel Hyughe
Gregory Harley

I found 11 USA/CAN duals in 2004 age group. I know Duke is pretty good but is there any other guy who could be in NTDP conversation. I know some guys are not really good but i listed everybody i found. Most interested i am is Harrison Ballard any good.

I'm actually gonna Coach nate next year....not sure why you have him on this list tho..... he's far behind Kaleb Smith,Ryan Conmy, Ryan Novo, Beau Jelsma(canadian), Patrick Geary(D-man) and Alec Zakrzewski(D)

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I'm not happy about it.....But Declan Mcdonnell '02 Buffalo Jr. Sabres just committed to play with Kitchener in the OHL

Reactions: Dux917

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
I'm not happy about it.....But Declan Mcdonnell '02 Buffalo Jr. Sabres just committed to play with Kitchener in the OHL

OHL is really starting to target hard NCAA commits. Providence College getting hit particularly hard - besides McDonnell yesterday, they also lost Chase Stillman and Bryce Montgomery in the last 2 weeks to the OHL.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
OHL is really starting to target hard NCAA commits. Providence College getting hit particularly hard - besides McDonnell yesterday, they also lost Chase Stillman and Bryce Montgomery in the last 2 weeks to the OHL.
It's an epidemic and must stop lol.... USHL and college route are way more beneficial for the kids than the OHL literally unless they are a 1st round NHL pick(for the most part)

Reactions: SK94 and Dux917

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Combine that with early departures and I think people see the writing on the wall that the coach will be in the NHL before long.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
It's an epidemic and must stop lol.... USHL and college route are way more beneficial for the kids than the OHL literally unless they are a 1st round NHL pick(for the most part)

It's usually the more talented Americans that commit to the OHL so they are thinking they have good chance at being 1st round picks. I don't think college route is way more beneficial, some of these talented kids commit to high end college programs and play on the 4th line or are healthy scratches where they could easily be getting top 6 minutes in the CHL.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
It's usually the more talented Americans that commit to the OHL so they are thinking they have good chance at being 1st round picks. I don't think college route is way more beneficial, some of these talented kids commit to high end college programs and play on the 4th line or are healthy scratches where they could easily be getting top 6 minutes in the CHL.

Have to think if you are a 4th line in college - you're not making the NHL. And racking up some points in major junior, won't change your talent level. But at least if you played college - you would have a degree.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Have to think if you are a 4th line in college - you're not making the NHL. And racking up some points in major junior, won't change your talent level. But at least if you played college - you would have a degree.

I think it's typical for freshmen and sophomore to be on the 4th line. That vs top 6 CHL minutes wouldn't say theres as big of a benefit as you say. I love the NCAA route by the way but I don't believe going to the CHL will hurt at all the development of a good young American prospect.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You really can't put a price on a college education. These athletes realize that and understand that competing at this level will give them the exposure they desire. The cream rises to the top so if these top prospects are patient they will shine in US College. Hockey fans especially international may not want to hear this but the best route to the NHL is starting to become the US College level. This is the trend and either get on board or go home. Many players aren't willing to suffer the consequences or make the sacrifices but patience will pay off.
Just do it.
Take the risk. Dive in.

By the way I have no idea what I'm talking about. I do like watching talent but I dislike the cage masks.
Surprisingly the Frozen 4 is pretty entertaining (Not sure what teams were in it) I couldn't tell you who won the championship in Division 1 last year either or who the Hobey Baker winner was and finalists were.

Hell I don't even know how the rules differ from NHL if they do.
I used to follow all this stuff but who has the time?

Peace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad