Post-Game Talk: Almost a win...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You make it sound like he’s been gifted good players to play with that helped prop him up and poor Drai and Nuge have been left to fend for themselves with garbage.

I didn't say that at all about him being propped up.

He has had the best forward on.his wing while Draisaitl or RNH have gotten the leftovers ever since Hall was traded. This is a fact and not a slight on McDavid but more an indictment on the coaches for not spreading whatever little wealth they have had.

If anything, I'm complimenting McDavid by saying that him being stuck with the scrubs is more beneficial for the team because he doesn't need the help that Drai and RNH need.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I didn't say that at all about him being propped up.

He has had the best forward on.his wing while Draisaitl or RNH have gotten the leftovers ever since Hall was traded. This is a fact and not a slight on McDavid but more an indictment on the coaches for not spreading whatever little wealth they have had.

If anything, I'm complimenting McDavid by saying that him being stuck with the scrubs is more beneficial for the team because he doesn't need the help that Drai and RNH need.
Funny way of saying it.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, I guess were back to the "blame the coach" thing again.

Some of these players are so lazy and unmotivated it is painful to watch. Without Kosko it was all over by the 2nd period.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
4d4.jpg

Reactions: Cloned

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Well, I guess were back to the "blame the coach" thing again.

Some of these players are so lazy and unmotivated it is painful to watch. Without Kosko it was all over by the 2nd period.
Even these other teams that have off years or long losing slumps look like they are putting in effort. We look like we just mail it in. I'm sure the players would feel they aren't but how does our team consistently not show up?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well to some degree this is true.

McDavid, for good reason, has always had at least one top end linemate and for the past 2 seasons whichever of Drai or Nuge wasn't that guy ended up with borderline NHLers at best.

I think the problem is though that McDavid is needs the help too.
McDavid has always been able to create on his own though. Lately it’s been a struggle getting points but I think he’s just worn down at this point.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Even these other teams that have off years or long losing slumps look like they are putting in effort. We look like we just mail it in. I'm sure the players would feel they aren't but how does our team consistently not show up?

Its all part of the puzzle that surrounds bad organizations and the Oilers are a bad organization.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
McDavid has always been able to create on his own though. Lately it’s been a struggle getting points but I think he’s just worn down at this point.
I think it's much easier and cheaper to trade for a winger than can put up good point with McDavid than for Draisaitl or RNH.

???? - McDavid - New Guy
RNH - Draisaitl - ?????
???? - Actual Center - ????

Should be the makeup going into next season

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A few comments.

Congenital stupidity. The Oilers have a 5 on 3 PP and they play their standard late developing breakout passing the puck back to last man as if gaining the opponent line is going to be difficult on a 5 on 3. Is this team really that dense? Bizarre stupidity. They wasted 10 secs of a 5 on 3 with that stupid breakout which is only supposed to be used when the puck carrier can't find any open ice or a path to the opponent zone. Really it boggles my mind pro players would be so f***ing dense.

Yotes get the best scoring chance on the Oilers 5 on 3 PP. How is that even possible.

Yotes want the game more than the oilers, how is that even possible.

Colby Cave is out on 3 on 3 extra time. The guy last scored a goal in bantam hockey but he's out there banging away. Poor Gagner getting saddled with this tool and again in extra time. Jesus H Christ, is it too much to give Gagner a winger that has even scored a goal this season. Seems he see's Cave and Rieder a lot.

Reactions: Messrules11

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Sekera looked ok! He makes a lot of good smart breakout plays that most of our D except for Klefbom can’t do.

quickfeet

Dec 6, 2017
I had the game recorded, and I've noticed midway through the first period how many empty seats there are.
Also several radio stations were giving away free tickets earlier today and 1260 was giving them to people who'd comment on the post.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A few comments.

Congenital stupidity. The Oilers have a 5 on 3 PP and they play their standard late developing breakout passing the puck back to last man as if gaining the opponent line is going to be difficult on a 5 on 3. Is this team really that dense? Bizarre stupidity. They wasted 10 secs of a 5 on 3 with that stupid breakout which is only supposed to be used when the puck carrier can't find any open ice or a path to the opponent zone. Really it boggles my mind pro players would be so ****ing dense.

Yotes get the best scoring chance on the Oilers 5 on 3 PP. How is that even possible.

Yotes want the game more than the oilers, how is that even possible.

Colby Cave is out on 3 on 3 extra time. The guy last scored a goal in bantam hockey but he's out there banging away. Poor Gagner getting saddled with this tool and again in extra time. Jesus H Christ, is it too much to give Gagner a winger that has even scored a goal this season. Seems he see's Cave and Rieder a lot.
Yotes wanted the game more than the Oilers because they still have a reasonable chance of making the playoffs, now being only 2 points out. They needed this one badly against one of the leagues weak sisters, playing without their top gun.

Colby Cave being out during the OT (twice) just reinforces how out of touch Hitch is. The guy couldn’t put the puck in the ocean while standing on a pier. Meanwhile, the top callup from the AHL gets a measly 4 plus minutes, playing with shyte in his debut. Nice work, Hitch.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Didn't watch the game, but hearing that Colby "The Chia Ender" Cave, with an AHL career high 13 goals, got more opportunity than Zykov (33 AHL goals last year) ever did with this goal starved team, is frustrating to say the least. *

*I understand Zykov hasn't done much at all with Vegas, but we didn't even give him a shot.

Can anyone tell me how Drai looked, I'd assume centering his own line? 2 apples looks nice for sure.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Didn't watch the game, but hearing that Colby "The Chia Ender" Cave, with an AHL career high 13 goals, got more opportunity than Zykov (33 AHL goals last year) ever did with this goal starved team, is frustrating to say the least. *

*I understand Zykov hasn't done much at all with Vegas, but we didn't even give him a shot.

Can anyone tell me how Drai looked, I'd assume centering his own line? 2 apples looks nice for sure.
No comment on the Zykov situation. That guy is a career AHLer. I will comment on the Drai question. He looked like he could drive a line, fantastic game.

Reactions: Jarvi

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Went to the game tonight (didn’t know mcdavid was sick). Tickets were dirt cheap. Got mine for 25 dollars a pop. Pretty entertaining game at the end there.

Nurse can’t hold the line to save his life, and Matt benning still sucks.

That’s all I got.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I'm sorry am I not allowed to support more than one team? grow up

I would love to hear in detail how the Devils stunted anything with Larsson, did they take it slow with him? absolutely. Please forgive the Devils for not rushing prospects, obviously it works great for the Oilers... lol

"Devils should have taught Larsson Offense" lol because it's that ****ing easy
seriously my brain hurts

You can take interest and follow other teams I am just genuinely curious as to why the lowly Oilers lol

The Devils did not take it slow with him he played in the NHL in his D+1... then when he struggled they jerked him between the AHL/NHL for two seasons and when in the NHL didnt give him an opportunity to display or work on his offensive game and skills.
Finally in his D+4 he became a regular NHLer and had his best offensive season (24p in 64 games in 14-15) he played 21m (4th) and was 6th among dmen for PP time behind names like Zidlicky, Gelinas and Merrill. He was the best offensive defenseman on that team at even strength and wasnt given an opportunity on the PP.
So you would think the next season after having a solid offensive year they would give him a bigger opportunity to grow his offence (like we have been doing with Darnell Nurse - to some success) but instead they increased his toi to 22:30 (2nd) and instead gave him just 14m total on the PP (over 82 games) leaving him 7th among defenseman on the team behind names like Schlemko, Gelinas, Warsofsky, and Moore.

But hey it doesnt matter for the Devils, your GM was still able to turn him into Taylor Hall.

I hope that is detailed enough for you friend.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Drai just proved that he can be a game breaker all by himself, overall I thought the Oilers played well
Awesome to hear. I've believed he was an elite player on his own since 16-17, and was stoked when we drafted him. That said, still encouraging to see a big game from the big German without McD even dressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad