Post-Game Talk: Almost a win...

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't really get the Hitch-hate going on. They've had a bad stretch, but blamimng it (again) on the coach is a bit odd imo.

This team shouldn't need some 3D chess wizard behind the bench. They should be able to play well and win even if the coach is average. Coaches are obviously important but when you just failed with one of the most sought after coaches in 2015 and now with one of the best coaches in the NHL I think it is safe to say that the primary issue here is not coaching...

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I don't really get the Hitch-hate going on. They've had a bad stretch, but blamimng it (again) on the coach is a bit odd imo.

This team shouldn't need some 3D chess wizard behind the bench. They should be able to play well and win even if the coach is average. Coaches are obviously important but when you just failed with one of the most sought after coaches in 2015 and now with one of the best coaches in the NHL I think it is safe to say that the primary issue here is not coaching...
That being said there are some things Hitchcock is doing that are quite frankly insane. Chiasson being a big example. Guy has been ice cold for ages but he's still a staple on the PP, gets top 6 minutes pretty much without fail, goes in OT and shootout... He's fallen into the trap that did Mclellan in as well. Trying to ride McDavid and Draisaitl and RNH for everything rather than even trying to utilize the entire roster as flawed as it may be. You call up guys doing well in the AHL, how about give them an honest chance?

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Fortunately this conspires to our success as we don't need Centers, we need wingers, and that we've also mixed it up a lot with players playing both.

Gagner the veteran is a nice looking player, a bit stronger as well. Late in the game he also makes a really good play getting a puck loose and centering it but alas nobody was there or around the slot. We would have scored. Gagner has always been a good chaos player around the net.

Sam is so clearly among our top 4 forwards which is an indictment of Chiarelli lineup that nobody else is even close to Sam Gagners skill level. Its looking like the club will probably need to stick with Sam for awhile.
yeah, I was thinking the same thing last night --> Boy, it's sure nice to see some actual skill out there besides McD, RNH and Drai. Then thought, WOW is that pathetic. A guy demoted to the AHL the last 2 years being the 4th most talented forward we have.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Ratman with 7 shot in 11 minutes? Excellent. Also glad to see November Koskinen isn't dead. Still not a 60 minute game but they don't need McD for them to compete every night. Hopefully this reminds them of that.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Was at the game - I have never seen Gagner backcheck hard before. Saw it several times tonight. I actually felt good for the guy. Hope he keeps it up. Nice to see he got a rousing cheer for the shoot out attempt.
I wasn’t much of a Gagner fan towards his ending here but he looks like a guy that knows he’s been given a last chance here and wants to make the most of it. I was very “meh” about this trade on the weekend but he’s looking like a positive influence in the lineup. Something this team is desperate for right now. When I was arguing about culture last week, this is the type of thing I was thinking about. Doesn’t take much to see that Gagner wants to be here. I hope that rubs off on some of the other players.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
That being said there are some things Hitchcock is doing that are quite frankly insane. Chiasson being a big example. Guy has been ice cold for ages but he's still a staple on the PP, gets top 6 minutes pretty much without fail, goes in OT and shootout... He's fallen into the trap that did Mclellan in as well. Trying to ride McDavid and Draisaitl and RNH for everything rather than even trying to utilize the entire roster as flawed as it may be. You call up guys doing well in the AHL, how about give them an honest chance?
I don't necessarily agree with you here. Chiasson imo should be on PP1, I'd move RNH off of it and on to PP2 to balance better. Despite being lucky the first half and now snake bit in the second half, he has a quick shot good for close up action. I don't really see who is the better option on PP1 (unless we trade for someone).

Top6... Well he is the only one who's had sustainable success there. Problem is as you hint to that we are very top heavy. But there are really few if any options (which is sad in itself).

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I wasn’t much of a Gagner fan towards his ending here but he looks like a guy that knows he’s been given a last chance here and wants to make the most of it. I was very “meh” about this trade on the weekend but he’s looking like a positive influence in the lineup. Something this team is desperate for right now. When I was arguing about culture last week, this is the type of thing I was thinking about. Doesn’t take much to see that Gagner wants to be here. I hope that rubs off on some of the other players.
I couldn't stand Gagner (the player, the person I had no problem with). Now I am starting to really warm up to this trade. Not sure if that is sad ... or a sign of what your are mentioning in that he looks to be a positive influence. I'll go for the latter, for now.

Dakinjor

Nov 13, 2014
I really liked the cave, rat man and gagner line yesterday don’t like the decision to change a line that tilted the ice in their direction in favour of Tobias “Ovechkin” Reider

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Calling up a top scorer and good overall player from the AHL, and then putting him with some slugs for 4 minutes is case #1.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Yeah not sure if we have sank past his float point or if he has risen to past our float point. Either way I was impressed, a damn sight more than half the Oiler regulars in any case.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Calling up a top scorer and good overall player from the AHL, and then putting him with some slugs for 4 minutes is case #1.
I'm not sure what to say about that. He is in the AHL because he is not a NHL level player. Sure I'd love Currie to take off right away, but minutes are not for free imo. Currie 10 mins vs 5 mins is very far from then problem with the team.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I'm not sure what to say about that. He is in the AHL because he is not a NHL level player. Sure I'd love Currie to take off right away, but minutes are not for free imo. Currie 10 mins vs 5 mins is very far from then problem with the team.
I’m in this camp as well. He’s been in the A all year for a reason. He didn’t look like an NHL player last night imo, why would anyone expect him to get more minutes than he deserved? He’ll be sent down soon enough

Reactions: LaGu

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I’m in this camp as well. He’s been in the A all year for a reason. He didn’t look like an NHL player last night imo, why would anyone expect him to get more minutes than he deserved? He’ll be sent down soon enough
You could tell all of this by his 6 minutes of play? Interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad