Post-Game Talk: Almost a win...

quickfeet

Dec 6, 2017
I think it's much easier and cheaper to trade for a winger than can put up good point with McDavid than for Draisaitl or RNH.

???? - McDavid - New Guy
RNH - Draisaitl - ?????
???? - Actual Center - ????

Should be the makeup going into next season
You forgot Lucic in the top 6

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hottest goal scorer in the AHL gets called up.

Dinosaur gives him 5:25 of ice time.

rsf2fSp.gif

Yyyyuuup. Knew it was going to happen. Hey Hitch. f*** off already.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
A few comments.

Congenital stupidity. The Oilers have a 5 on 3 PP and they play their standard late developing breakout passing the puck back to last man as if gaining the opponent line is going to be difficult on a 5 on 3. Is this team really that dense? Bizarre stupidity. They wasted 10 secs of a 5 on 3 with that stupid breakout which is only supposed to be used when the puck carrier can't find any open ice or a path to the opponent zone. Really it boggles my mind pro players would be so ****ing dense.

Yotes get the best scoring chance on the Oilers 5 on 3 PP. How is that even possible.

Yotes want the game more than the oilers, how is that even possible.

Colby Cave is out on 3 on 3 extra time. The guy last scored a goal in bantam hockey but he's out there banging away. Poor Gagner getting saddled with this tool and again in extra time. Jesus H Christ, is it too much to give Gagner a winger that has even scored a goal this season. Seems he see's Cave and Rieder a lot.

Yep I don’t see why Cave is still in the lineup. He has gotten so many good chances to bury them.

Rieder needs to go as well it’s just not working out. I still think he can be a 15 goal scorer but not in Edmonton.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
You make it sound like he’s been gifted good players to play with that helped prop him up and poor Drai and Nuge have been left to fend for themselves with garbage.

Nuge has largely had Garbage on his line, there's no falsehood in that. He even got stuck on the 2nd PP unit up until this season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Was at the game - I have never seen Gagner backcheck hard before. Saw it several times tonight. I actually felt good for the guy. Hope he keeps it up. Nice to see he got a rousing cheer for the shoot out attempt.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
- Kosko did all he could to keep us in it. For once the Oilers nearly repaid him scoring a blistering TWO goals for once.

- Drai was good. Has been really good since the All star break. Think he’s riding that “Imma real All Star” confidence

- Matt Benning can barely skate let alone play NHL level hockey. Which scouting regime was responsible for bringing him in? Gretzky or Green?

- Sekera looked like himself but slightly slower. So a mediocre sometimes good defenceman. Still better than any of our 5-6 guys, hope he improves from here and steadies

- Cave, Reider, Lucic, Chiasson all useless

- Pejorative Slured to put Chiasson out in the shoot out knowing he’s a hot and cold type player. With him missing the empty net in the first it was obvious he was ice cold.

- Liked Gagners chance in OT, likes that they had him out in the shootout, but he should have been 2nd or 3rd in the order to let him settle his nerves

- Don’t know what Gulatzan said during the timeout before the 5 on 3, but his play looked to have been shitty. One ineffective 5 on 3. Actually the entire PP has been useless for awhile now, we don’t move the puck around quick enough or sharp enough to open up any room. We so slow with the puck the PKers just crowd the puck carrier knowing that if a pass is made it’ll be so slow they can easily get back into position.

- Said this before, I’ll say it again: Nurse is not a good PP QB. Doesn’t have the quickness. Can’t keep pucks in, Passes too slowly to QB anything. Shot is getting more effective now since he’s learned to keep it low.

- Said it before, illl say it again: thank god we didn’t trade Kassian, he’s one of our only bottom 6 players that can make impacts on the game. He did tonight. Wish we gave him more important games to play so we can see San Jose series Kassian version 2.0

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Gagner's center years are behind him, his skill set is more suited to the wing.

I really should have said centre/wing. I think you're right...he is a better winger but he can sub in at centre (defensively and on face offs) if required. For example he took 8 draws in this game and won 6 of them.
He also has good offensive instincts.

Much more versatile than Spooner.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
A few thoughts:

a) I know some people want the Oilers to make the playoffs, but I'm not among them. Aside from a few players, they are not fun to watch. Today's roster featured 10 out of 12 forwards who are a collection of 4th liners and AHL players. I do not want to see that in the playoffs.

b) We will not get better unless we upgrade heavily on Kris Russel. I know he's the least of our problems because he's not a disaster of a player like some of our forwards- but I don't think I've ever seen him make a forward pass. It's either pass it across, button hook and turn around, or get it off the glass. 50% of your job as a Dman is stopping the opposing forwards, the other 50% is getting it to your forwards. He might be the worst transition player in the league. Darnell Nurse isn't great at passing either, so that pair gets caved in by opposing forwards. Having 3 top 4 dmen who aren't good passers is a recipe for disaster.
Knowing the Oilers, they'll probably pencil in a 33 year old Sekera coming off almost 2 years worth of knee surgeries and recoveries next season into that 2nd pair role. Let We need to upgrade the D, significantly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Gagner's center years are behind him, his skill set is more suited to the wing.

Fortunately this conspires to our success as we don't need Centers, we need wingers, and that we've also mixed it up a lot with players playing both.

Gagner the veteran is a nice looking player, a bit stronger as well. Late in the game he also makes a really good play getting a puck loose and centering it but alas nobody was there or around the slot. We would have scored. Gagner has always been a good chaos player around the net.

Sam is so clearly among our top 4 forwards which is an indictment of Chiarelli lineup that nobody else is even close to Sam Gagners skill level. Its looking like the club will probably need to stick with Sam for awhile.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yep I don’t see why Cave is still in the lineup. He has gotten so many good chances to bury them.

Rieder needs to go as well it’s just not working out. I still think he can be a 15 goal scorer but not in Edmonton.

Its funny how much credit Colby is getting in the broadcasts for just doing simple safe work. He's a blackhole offensively and has also been out for a few GA against the easiest opposition you can get in the NHL. Even in the broadcast Kevin Quinn, who is bad at what he does states "Colby Cave is really distancing himself from competition on this team" Really? The guy has 0-0-0 -3 and has had much better linemates than what he is contributing. He's the worst forward you can find on a bad season where we've had some disaster players. He's pure AHL. Not one iota of skill. Is he even good in the AHL?

Reactions: Magnum23

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Went to the game tonight (didn’t know mcdavid was sick). Tickets were dirt cheap. Got mine for 25 dollars a pop. Pretty entertaining game at the end there.

Nurse can’t hold the line to save his life, and Matt benning still sucks.

That’s all I got.

Did you get the tickets through ticketmaster or other means? Just curious as I wasn't seeing any going for that low. I was seeing a lot of 40buck tickets with all the added charges.

When did they announce Connor wasn't going to play?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Colby Cave looks like a young version of Brodziak to me. I like him.
That was kind of what the scouting report reminded me off when we acquired him.
Was at the game - I have never seen Gagner backcheck hard before. Saw it several times tonight. I actually felt good for the guy. Hope he keeps it up. Nice to see he got a rousing cheer for the shoot out attempt.

Comes with age I guess. The guy has also had something like a dozen coaches in his pro career. Most coaches preach back checking. Sooner or later you'd hope guys would listen.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Chiasson missing that empty net was a microcosm of the 18-19 Oilers season.

Whiffed horribly on wide open opportunities.
:oops:

Hockey has a strange way of balancing out. A lot of what was going in earlier were Chiasson showing a type of finish that really he doesn't possess. Its what I always call happenchance. Sometimes guys are just on. When you get a plumber scoring apparent snipe goals you wonder sometimes if its just some good luck and the puck magically finding a way. Happens so often in hockey that I tend not to get excited about it. Chiasson was on a Pisani run. That's about it.

In retrospect having as much time with McDrai as he's had, and having that premium toi he still may not even score 20. Actually considering Chiasson has 1 goal in his last 21GP its probably a reasonable bet he doesn't hit 20. Can't even cash in an open net now and the cage was wide open, staring at him.

This is basically what you get when you forcefeed a no talent into constant topsix rotation. Very rarely you'll get results, most times not. If one factors in that Chiasson has an insanely lucky 20% shooting percentage (for a career plumber that is ridiculous) then Chiasson, on a more normal 12% pots around 9 goals thus far. His total is way above where it should be. The biggest thing being you can't count on stuff like this, and he's not even a good player really. Doesn't add much, or any intangibles. The worst thing is he'll get an extension here on the basis of two hot months and he'll maybe hit 10 goals next season. You can see it coming.

Oil Town XJ

Dec 17, 2008
Edmonton
I thought Gagner was the best forward on the team tonight not named Drai or Nuge. I think he won more puck battles along the boards tonight, then he did the whole last season he played for us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad