All's Fehr in Love and War (CBA & Lockout Discussion) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Just told from NHL source that the NHL's new offer is based on current HRR definition, which is significant.

But even then, the PA doesn't seem to think that current definition is completely accurate.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
For those of you asking, CBC News Net is carrying these media conferences live. Fehr yet to speak.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I'm actually really optimistic.

Something tells me the advertisers threw down on the NHL and demanded a season. Bettman & Daly then went straight to the Fehrs.

Fingers crossed on good news soon.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Maybe my math is fuzzy but if HRR is split 50/50 in year 1, how are salaries "preserved"? Wouldn't adjustments to paychecks be made through escrow since most teams would be over the new cap? I suspect "preservation of salary" just means no rollbacks.

It means the terms of their salaries remain unchanged but it would be scaled back to meet the 50% target. IF HRR increases dramitically however there may be minimal affect to the players salaries going forward. vs Lastlockout where the players contracts were actually rolled back so they would make less.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Need to see provision for year 1 salary protection. Initial player response: 1% increase. Still a 12-13% reduction in yr 1 (7/57= 12.2%).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What does "preserved salaries" mean?

A roll back on cap hits?

That could be. I could see them changing the cap hit to an artificial number for cap purposes on all existing contracts (not sure if it's permanent basis or year by year until revenues hit x), while keeping the dollar figure the same. Would mean some complications regarding escrow, but nothing they could not sort out if the will was there.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Wow. This is a solid deal so far

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

Just told from NHL source that the NHL's new offer is based on current HRR definition, which is significant.

Wow! So to sum the situation:

-A 50/50 deal. (that's fair and like other sports)

-No imidiate across the board rollbacks. (like the NHLPA wants)

-The league has taken off table some of the systemic changes to player contracts which they asked for in initial July offer. (like the NHLPA wants)

-The NHL's new offer is based on current HRR definition (like the NHLPA wants)

**** the Players if they say no now!

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Obviously, pending hearing more details you have to think the plyaers will reject this.

Immediately dropping to 50% would "allow owners to get out from existing contracts" and "not honor them in full" would it not?

Personally I think it is more than fair, but I am not sold on the PA buying it. Which is a crying shame.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Salaries in tact?

Ouch. Players won't look good if they don't accept this. They will basically be haggling for a couple % points.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
rXSbL.gif

you best accept this fehr

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
What's the catch?

Looks like NHL is indeed in a rush to get things back as some predicted. But again I expect the PA to reject this because it means they'll be taking an immediate pay cut. They still need to put forth at least one more proposal to test a soft landing (not gradual over 4 or 5 yrs but maybe 2 or 3).

I expect this to go on, people here are excited because the NHL's moved so much from their initial position but let's not forget what their initial position was. I guarantee this is exactly how they expected things to go, make bad offers, start missing games and then putting the 50% offer in to turn on the pressure.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Fehr and the players and Bettman and the nhl can save face if they come to an agreement on this proposal.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
we're STILL going to have an 82 game season one month later? So that means the Kings play like 20 games on the road in a row in February :facepalm:

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Aaron Ward Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

NHLPA has called a 5 PM (Eastern) conference call for the Executive Board and the Negotiating Committee. #TSN

...is that good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad