Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Sens fan here,

Anyone know. Has Penguins announced anything on Sullivan

Is he confirmed back to start next year ?

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Maybe showing some validity to Kypreos story? I'm probably grasping here. The last sentence is very interesting, who might that be? Sully, yeah?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Maybe Kyle wont let Sully play GM again this summer so Sully wants out.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Maybe showing some validity to Kypreos story? I'm probably grasping here. The last sentence is very interesting, who might that be? Sully, yeah?

Breaking news! NHL organizations looking at a variety of candidates to fill coaching positions!

See they know how to do that quickly lol…so likely means Reirden and Velluci are returning lol
Certainly does not inspire confidence that they will be replacing those two.

Trying to think logically -- Maybe they have specific people in mind as potential NHL assistants, but need to wait to see if they'll be available. If not, I guess they'd bring back the terrible twosome.

In the meantime, they're willing to cast a wider net for the AHL positions.

I hope, anyway.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
“Assistant general manager Jason Spezza said in a statement that Pittsburgh made the decision to move on from Forrest and his top assistant after the NHL staff took the season “to fully evaluate our minor league and development systems.”

Spezza added that it is “paramount” for Pittsburgh, which appears poised to pivot into a youth movement, to have “those systems operating at an elite level.”

Ok…so we want an elite development system in Wilkes that’s going to mirror the elite system we currently have going on in the big club…whoops, I mean, thank God Sullivan is here to develop our young players!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm of the mind that the best way to effect any sort of coaching change in the system is now through WB/S anyway. I don't think Sullivan or any of the NHL ACs will be leaving, for whatever reason.

Reactions: Jacob

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kypreos is full of crap but I actually feel like Sullivan and Dubas mutually agreeing to part ways is much more likely than Sullivan getting fired. I would be extremely uncomfortable letting him leave for the Devils personally, but I think Sullivan and Dubas mutually agreeing to part ways and Dubas bringing Keefe to the Penguins (when he's fired for another 1st round playoff loss) is a really plausible scenario.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Kypreos is full of crap but I actually feel like Sullivan and Dubas mutually agreeing to part ways is much more likely than Sullivan getting fired. I would be extremely uncomfortable letting him leave for the Devils personally, but I think Sullivan and Dubas mutually agreeing to part ways and Dubas bringing Keefe to the Penguins (when he's fired for another 1st round playoff loss) is a really plausible scenario.

I wouldn’t. He’d run that team into the dirt without question.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I agree that a mutual separation would be the most likely scenario at this stage, but I don't think it would happen this year.

I could see it happening next summer if the Pens miss again. Sullivan and Dubas could each spin it that a split makes sense based on the direction of the team and that Sullivan is ready for a change/new challenge, blah blah blah.

But I don't see it happening now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Good thing Sullivan has proven for six years he is not a good coach!

There are literally countless examples of coaches being bad for one team being great for another team. Berube showed he was a horrendous coach for the Flyers and then was the spark the Blues needed to win a cup. Hakstol also went from being a horrid Flyers coach to having success with the Kraken too. Tocchett was a miserable failure as the Coyotes head coach, and he's now likely going to either win or be a finalist for the Jack Adams this year with the Canucks.

Sullivan has stunk in the last few years for the Penguins, but I absolutely do not want to see how he'd do as a coach of a team with the upside as the Devils. At his best, he has shown to be a terrific coach and that on a team as talented as the Devils is terrifying.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I agree that a mutual separation would be the most likely scenario at this stage, but I don't think it would happen this year.

I could see it happening next summer if the Pens miss again. Sullivan and Dubas could each spin it that a split makes sense based on the direction of the team and that Sullivan is ready for a change/new challenge, blah blah blah.

But I don't see it happening now.
If it happens again it’s rebuild time. You don’t bounce back not making the playoffs 3 years in a row.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
There are literally countless examples of coaches being bad for one team being great for another team. Berube showed he was a horrendous coach for the Flyers and then was the spark the Blues needed to win a cup. Hakstol also went from being a horrid Flyers coach to having success with the Kraken too. Tocchett was a miserable failure as the Coyotes head coach, and he's now likely going to either win or be a finalist for the Jack Adams this year with the Canucks.

Sullivan has stunk in the last few years for the Penguins, but I absolutely do not want to see how he'd do as a coach of a team with the upside as the Devils. At his best, he has shown to be a terrific coach and that on a team as talented as the Devils is terrifying.
Could care less where he goes, we are pretty much finished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad