All's Fehr in Love and War (CBA & Lockout Discussion) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange

Key move by #NHL ... League needed to take chance to get process moving. 50/50 with salaries preserved puts ball in players court. #NHLPA

I don't think Fehr can reject this right off the bat.
He'll say we're gonna take a look at it.

With salaries preserved?? That's new. Wonder what it means? I assume its using escrow rather than a total roll back

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
You know that Donald Fehr will reject it's in his ego to be the one that "saves" the season.

I've got to go somewhere so I'll miss the fallout but please for the love of god accept it.

Ilrider

Mar 27, 2012
Chicago Burbs
Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange

Key move by #NHL ... League needed to take chance to get process moving. 50/50 with salaries preserved puts ball in players court. #NHLPA

I don't think Fehr can reject this right off the bat.
He'll say we're gonna take a look at it.

At least the NHL is willing to preserve the salaries. This looks like a good starting point for some real negotiation finally.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
2nd Nov start seems a while off. Why not Next Saturday or mid-week?

Still need to have camp. I would assume opening night would be Nov 2nd with each team playing 2/3 exhibition games against their closest geographical rival (Tor/Buf, Mtl/Ott, NYR/NYI/NJ/PHI, Clb/Pit) as a camp.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008

training camps, getting players back from overseas, plus there's still a couple RFAs that need to be signed

and the PA is probably going to wait a few days before signing if they like it...at least to iron out the details (expecting they want a gradual phase-in to 50)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
If the proposal indeed protests player salaries for this year.. The pa will lose most of its support in the public if they reject.

There's no rollback...but going from 57% to 50% means lots of escrow for all players. Also means a lower cap, which means certain underperfoming vets getting dumped to the AHL.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

Because they know the Players will still want to negociate a few non-core economic issues even in a best case scenerio. And that the Players that went to Europe need time to come back and get ready.

So, this final offer to save the season is built with some leeway to give it better odds of working.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Counter it with a 49-51 offer and wrap it up.
Time to end this.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Maybe my math is fuzzy but if HRR is split 50/50 in year 1, how are salaries "preserved"? Wouldn't adjustments to paychecks be made through escrow since most teams would be over the new cap? I suspect "preservation of salary" just means no rollbacks.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

Gary Bettman on NHL's offer: "It was done in the spirit of getting a deal done."

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Am told in NHL offer there is a proposal designed to "protect" players for salary reductions in the initial years

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Maybe my math is fuzzy but if HRR is split 50/50 in year 1, how are salaries "preserved"? Wouldn't adjustments to paychecks be made through escrow since most teams would be over the new cap ready? I suspect "preservation of salary" just means no rollbacks.

Last work stoppage there was a built in salary rollback of I think 24% in the deal if I'm correct.

Sure the paychecks might be adjusted... but the term/figures of the salaries would be preserved.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Wow. This is a solid deal so far

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

Just told from NHL source that the NHL's new offer is based on current HRR definition, which is significant.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
The NHLPA at least has to think about it. If they reject it right away that would send a bad vibe across the media/fans over their intentions in bargaining. Or lack thereof.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Whatever the means-if the cap effectively drops by 7 percent, besides escrow I would think there would have to be amnesty buyouts, that's just a huge drop.

Yeah. No way the PA accepts a stealth rollback via escrow. Curious how the league and clubs will finance amnesty buyouts.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Time goes by quickly. They already cut off the schedule to Oct 24th I believe, so from that day it's a little more than a week if they start Nov 2nd. Like was said, more than enough logistics to go through in 2.5 weeks, if a deal gets done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad