OT: All things Game of Thrones thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Then you stash them in the woods until both armies meet and have the Dothraki come reaving through their ranks from the side.
The night Kong’s captains also didn’t do ****. I expected more from them. How awesome would it have been if Jamie had to duel one to protect an injured Brienne? Or something.
I liked the episode, but the first 20 minutes, like I said in my previous post, were essentially wasted and could have been put to use better with significant set battles.

The dead army came out of the woods so that's not a good idea.

Keeping the Walkers in reserve makes sense. If one of them gets knocked out then that's a blow to your army.

Brienne should have been killed, and probably Pod too. She's being kept around for fun at this point. I was hoping for Brienne dying and Tormund and Jaime going apeham over it.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The dead army came out of the woods so that's not a good idea.

Keeping the Walkers in reserve makes sense. If one of them gets knocked out then that's a blow to your army.

Brienne should have been killed, and probably Pod too. She's being kept around for fun at this point. I was hoping for Brienne dying and Tormund and Jaime going apeham over it.
Point taken. It was so dark I wasn’t sure if they came out in all directions or just from the north.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Everything in that scene was set up in the past. She did that move before. Her sneakiness and ability to evade the dead was also established.
I agree but they definitely could of used one more scene of her getting there. Too big of gap between running from the castle and leaping out of nowhere. But that’s nitpicking.

People are way over-analyzing this show. It’s almost hip to hate on it now complaining how much better the first seasons were compared to the last. But no matter what, it’s still better than 95% of the crap on tv or in the movies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I agree but they definitely could of used one more scene of her getting there. Too big of gap between running from the castle and leaping out of nowhere. But that’s nitpicking.

People are way over-analyzing this show. It’s almost hip to hate on it now complaining how much better the first seasons were compared to the last. But no matter what, it’s still better than 95% of the crap on tv or in the movies.

If she was in the Great Keep (and I think she was) then she would have been really close to the Godswood to begin with; the two are adjacent. I imagine she went out there, set up camp, and waited. We might learn more next week.

There isn't a lot of time left. I have no idea if they're going to have a consolidation episode, or maybe spend 20-40 minutes doing that next week. They do have to transition from this war to the other one, and tying some loose ends and addressing some outstanding things should be part of that.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So I wonder how long everyone stays besties now that the existential threat has passed?

Seems stupid, IMO, for the characters to bicker after this fight but it'll happen.

Jon is going to have to choose between Dany and the family that he grew up with.

I expect to see some backstabbing in the next few episodes.

Or the show can just keep on it's linear path and there isn't any bickering and they all go fight Cersei some die but in the end the good guys win.

It'll be interesting to see how many soldiers are left over from Winterfell because it sure as hell didn't seem like many at all but i'm sure there will be.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If she was in the Great Keep (and I think she was) then she would have been really close to the Godswood to begin with; the two are adjacent. I imagine she went out there, set up camp, and waited. We might learn more next week.
All that it would have taken was a minute or two to set that up better but they instead wanted to heighten the sense of dread. My guess is they shot something along those lines and just edited it out. Whatever. Still very entertaining and I can live with a Hollywood trope or two.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
All that it would have taken was a minute or two to set that up better but they instead wanted to heighten the sense of dread. My guess is they shot something along those lines and just edited it out. Whatever. Still very entertaining and I can live with a Hollywood trope or two.

If they set it up like that then they spoil it, though.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If they set it up like that then they spoil it, though.
You are right. They wanted it to be the biggest surprise possible. Doesn’t mean it was great story-telling. They foreshadowed it with her talk with the red woman so why not make it a little less out of nowhere? But I think they wanted to play up Jon as much as possible. Like I said it’s nitpicking and it was done before by these guys with the battle of the bastards; heighten the dread then bring in a savior out of nowhere like with the nights of the vale.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yep, the creators of the show said themselves that they hoped that people would forget about the hall scene by the time the big moment happened. It was all intentional to hope that you forgot.

At the same time, it was telegraphed pretty hard there too.

They're doing the whole George Lucas "It's like poetry" thing hardcore. Those were flashbacks to Season 1 with Arya trying to evade her family's enemies in King's Landing, and of course the direct parallels to Syrio Forel with Beric, Sandor, and Mel holding things down so she can escape. I said to the wife that maybe that would be the end of the Hound and Mel, but she pointed out that we haven't had Cleganebowl yet so she ended up being right there.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You are right. They wanted it to be the biggest surprise possible. Doesn’t mean it was great story-telling. They foreshadowed it with her talk with the red woman so why not make it a little less out of nowhere? But I think they wanted to play up Jon as much as possible. Like I said it’s nitpicking and it was done before by these guys with the battle of the bastards; heighten the dread then bring in a savior out of nowhere like with the nights of the vale.

It feels to me like complaining about Tolkien not delving into the pooping situation in Moria. We know the Fellowship had to poop somewhere and somehow; that's a thing that had to happen. But it's not a thing we need to see and be informed about. It isn't vital.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It feels to me like complaining about Tolkien not delving into the pooping situation in Moria. We know the Fellowship had to poop somewhere and somehow; that's a thing that had to happen. But it's not a thing we need to see and be informed about. It isn't vital.
That’s just ridiculous. Pooping and flying Aryas are on two different things. And if George Martin wrote the Fellowship of the Rings he would have absolute discussed the pooping issue. Pippen would have likely contacted dysentery and died.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That’s just ridiculous. Pooping and flying Aryas are on two different things. And if George Martin wrote the Fellowship of the Rings he would have absolute discussed the pooping issue. Pippen would have likely contacted dysentery and died.

My point is that we do not need the logistics for everything spelled out for us in real time. Doing so can be detrimental.

Does Gandalf dim the light as Sam pushes out his bowels in the hallway with everyone standing around waiting and listening, or is it on everyone else to avoid making eye contact?

Reactions: Amorgus

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Do the Lannister’s even have any bannermen left on their side besides the Golden Company?

I imagine most of Westeros at this point would support Jon/Dany. Why not just be like “Cersei, you can keep King’s Landing and stay there, it’s a shithole anyway. We’ll just rule out here.”

Seriously, who gives a f*** about Cersei anymore?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Do the Lannister’s even have any bannermen left on their side besides the Golden Company?

I imagine most of Westeros at this point would support Jon/Dany. Why not just be like “Cersei, you can keep King’s Landing and stay there, it’s a ****hole anyway. We’ll just rule out here.”

Yep she's pretty much just Euron and the GC now. It's interesting that she said Westeros would never flock to a foreign horde, but now she's the one with the foreign horde since Dany's got fairly wiped out.

I guess Sansa's supply concerns have been solved at least.

Edit: Actually I think Ned and Jorah both mentioned that Westerosi wouldn't follow someone with an army of Dothraki. It would be an oversight if they neglect that now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillyfan28

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
That episode left me spent. But I've gotta reload somehow because I'm seeing Endgame later tomorrow.

e: Well, it is "tomorrow," so therefore really, later tonight.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad