OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part IV - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
well I had an interesting night. Wife got home from work about 8:00 from blood collections (all of the staff is calling in sick and not going so the supervisors are working a ton of hours - blood is needed people) complaining of pain in her kidney area. by 1:00 she couldn't take it any more and was in tears so I made her get up to go to ER. Get to ER and I am not allowed to go in with her because everything go on (which I totally understand) so I wait in the car until about 2:00. They finally tell her they are going to do a CAT scan and some tests so I go home. Get home about 4:00 and text back and forth with wife until about 5:30. They did all the tests and its not a kidney stone, not a blood clot or anything so they have no idea. Maybe a bruise or pulled muscle or something so pump her full of pain meds and send us home. Back in bed about 6:30 and up for work by 8:30.

I am exhausted and we still have no idea what is causing the pain and who knows what she got exposed to while in the ER. They said the ER has been dead for days which is good but still who knows what has been in there.
I hope all is well for your wife. Sending a hug

Reactions: Scotto74

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
You are implying that both the opinion of politicians and scientists should be taken with a grain of salt because both are incentivized. The obvious difference is that medical community takes giant risks and doesn’t stop working during any of this. Politicians aren’t in nearly the same situation and certainly aren’t doing anything close to heroic.

Moreso, the issue at hand is SCIENCE. So obviously an intelligent adult would put a lot more stock in the advice of scientists, rather than privileged politicians who have essentially nothing to lose considering that they always will have access to top notch medical care no matter what happens. I also find your point that medical experts are trying to prevent overcrowding for their own benefit to be laughable. Sheer ignorance.

Another, perhaps more direct point, is talking about loosening restrictions when we are only at the beginning of restrictions is jet going to get people to loosen up now. It’s irresponsible. Not surprising given the source. But irresponsible.
Can you try to make a point without calling people ignorant? His point about scientists having an incentive (albeit a very different one from politicians) to hype this is valid. And he's also right that scientists are not all in agreement with their predictions, and some are going to be wrong, some very wrong.

You are not absolutely right on everything. Have some small amount of an open mind.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I just got the call I was expecting after Ontario announced it was shutting down at midnight tonight. My company had already laid off all but 80 of it's 1200 employees. I worry about those people more then myself because financially, I will be okay.

It had to be done though.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
You’re just generalizing everyone and everything for the sake of keeping up an ignorant argument. One in which you refuse to answer even a basic question because you realize what you said isn’t logical.

If you really have logic and belief behind what you said, answering “how does medical experts saying folks should stay home and not get sick help the for-profit medical industry?” should be very simple. But it isn’t. Because it makes no sense.

And yes, we are looking to slow the rate of infection to not overwhelm supplies and hospitals. Once again...how does this help the for-profit medical industry?

You have a theory which you yourself can’t even back up. You’re just sticking with your story based on pure stubbornness.

my "story" was an example of why I feel you should not believe the medical community 100%. EXAMPLE. you can't apply the facts of one EXAMPLE to another as it is an EXAMPLE of how they have LIED in the past. if you can't understand what an EXAMPLE is showing why you should not believe the "story" from them 100% because it is SCIENCE it based on your pure stubbornness. I have nothing I need to prove to you. if you want to drink the cool-aid 100% because it is Science good on you. If you can't understand how examples work then good on you as well. have fun living with blinders in a world of pure stubbornness that make no sense.

later.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Can you try to make a point without calling people ignorant? His point about scientists having an incentive (albeit a very different one from politicians) to hype this is valid. And he's also right that scientists are not all in agreement with their predictions, and some are going to be wrong, some very wrong.

You are not absolutely right on everything. Have some small amount of an open mind.

not worth it but thank you. some people see their side and if you don't see eye to eye they resort to name calling. exactly the type of people i don't bother to associate with.

it's my way or I hate you......cry

exactly what is wrong with the world today. no one can try to see another point of view.

i am getting to old for this shit.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Agreed. Here in NYC, the cops are out patrolling the streets, public spaces and businesses to ensure that social distancing is being practiced. This needs to be done. NYC is, by far, the most densely populated area in the USA, so it's no surprise that the city has approximately one third of all COVID-19 cases in the country. There have also been some fools (including people I've seen outside my window) who were congregating in groups even just a few days ago. Crap like that just leads to the further spread of the virus.

Source? As mentioned, New York City's density, as well as it being a destination for international travel (hundreds of daily flights in and out), have made it a COVID-19 epicentre.
I don't know how to link stuff but someone else does and it's a few posts below. It is a fact that they encouraged people to go out and ignore 'misinformation '. :-( my own sister went and now can't help our parents with anything because she can't go near them. I'm 3000 miles away. It's all on my brother to help them through this. Yes, I'm angry with her too.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Purdue Pharma created a drug and then hired salespeople to go out and sell it to doctors. A select few doctors decided that they could make a ton of money getting people addicted. It then became a street drug.

You putting the entire medical community under the same blanket as corporate assholes and money grubbing “doctors” is pure laziness.
I call bullshit on this.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
my "story" was an example of why I feel you should not believe the medical community 100%. EXAMPLE. you can't apply the facts of one EXAMPLE to another as it is an EXAMPLE of how they have LIED in the past. if you can't understand what an EXAMPLE is showing why you should not believe the "story" from them 100% because it is SCIENCE it based on your pure stubbornness. I have nothing I need to prove to you. if you want to drink the cool-aid 100% because it is Science good on you. If you can't understand how examples work then good on you as well. have fun living with blinders in a world of pure stubbornness that make no sense.

later.

You are saying we can’t trust either medical experts or politicians in this because both have done us wrong in the past. I’m saying...do your research on the scientist and take that advice over any politician.

Would you not rather listen to the person who is the actual expert in the field?

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
You are saying we can’t trust either medical experts or politicians in this because both have done us wrong in the past. I’m saying...do your research on the scientist and take that advice over any politician.

Would you not rather listen to the person who is the actual expert in the field?
if you read what i wrote from the very beginning what i said was don't believe either 100%. I have done my research and believe some of what each of them are telling us but not buying either one 100% because they all have a past record of lying to us.

its pretty simple.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
NESN to Air 2011 Stanley Cup Championship
Tuesday, March 24 | 8 p.m.
2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round, Game 1 vs. Montreal

Wednesday, March 25 | 8 p.m.
2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round, Game 2 vs. Montreal

Thursday, March 26 | 8 p.m.
2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round, Game 3 at Montreal

Friday, March 27 | 8 p.m.
2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round, Game 4 at Montreal

Saturday, March 28 | 8 p.m.
2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round, Game 5 vs. Montreal

thanks NESN
I may skip games 1 and 2....It wasn't fun the first time.

Well I made two trips to my work but my laptop is working again. It was the power cord. I have a big project I need to do but I am taking a break.

I do Planning (materials and capacity) for Manuf. I found out when I went in today that they took this "special" big guy Joe out yesterday in an ambulance. He works building heat sinks for our Configurable area. He is like his own little factory and does a great job. The supervisor told me he was upset about everything going on. They think he had a stroke...It makes me sad. I hope Joe will be OK.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
So if I use the US and take out the outlier of the state of Washington, I get a national mortality rate of 1.1%.

And if we are admitting an unknown number of people have it who've never tested, then the mortality rate is in fact lower. What am I missing?

I wouldn't take out the "outlier" of Washington because this virus will strike concentrated groups of vulnerable populations again. That said, I think the actual mortality rate is likely in the 0.2 to 0.5% range ( the flu is 0.1 %), and there are some heavyweight epidemiologists that support that conclusion. The reason, as you allude, is that the actual number of people carrying the virus is exponentially higher than the 50,000 or so positive tests. Just look at the number of asymptomatic celebrities, athletes and politicians that have tested positive, who only even got a test because they were famous. If the US population has CV19 in the same proportion as the NBA, then something like 5 million people have it. If the infection rate in the general pop is 1/5 the rate of the NBA, then 1 million have it.

This virus is largely going to cause more deaths than the flu because, even on the lower end, it is still 2-3x more deadly, and, more importantly, there are no vaccines and pretty much everyone is susceptible to getting it.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
if you read what i wrote from the very beginning what i said was don't believe either 100%. I have done my research and believe some of what each of them are telling us but not buying either one 100% because they all have a past record of lying to us.

its pretty simple.

You’re putting legitimate medical experts with proven track records under the same umbrella as crooked doctors and greedy pharma execs. Obviously no one is advocating for those people, but you’re including them in the argument so you can downplay what medical experts (who obviously know more about this than any politician) are saying.

Your way of arguing in the most generalized terms is the exact way a politician riles his or her base. You just stick people in large groups and demonize.

member 96824

10x is the best estimate right now.

It spreads exponentially quicker (no community immunity) and is 10x deadlier.

I don’t understand what the f*** else people need to stop saying “it’s a flu bug”. Willful ignorance at its finest.

It’s the novel strain of the virus. Could it start to mimic the flu if it becomes an annual virus? Yes. But right now, it is a novel strain. That is worlds apart from anything that already exists in terms of danger.

Was talking to a buddy the other night and he brought up a great point. Fauci has been the director of the NIAID since 1984 through 6 presidents...He's been a part of containment efforts for HIV, SARS, Swine Flu, MERS, and Ebola along with every strand of the flu and other common diseases that hit us in waves consistently basically as the wizard of oz behind the curtain...This one specifically he's out front and center, trying to tell as many people as he can about the dangers and advising what's essentially a complete shutdown .

I don't know about most, but that tells me a lot of what I need to know.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It would make the US death rate better than Korea which have one of the better percentage in the world. Korea was at the forefront of testing, which have you detected the virus at the earliest and minimizing deaths and critical cases . The total opposite of the US...
By the same token, drastically increased testing will dramatically increase the numbers of those infected but who weren't hospitalized, and didn't die, which will necessarily reduce the death rate.

South Korea was able to individually identify those who were infected, which is what the US is trying to do on a broad scale now.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Doctors are hoarding medications touted as possible coronavirus treatments by writing prescriptions for themselves and family members, according to pharmacy boards in states across the country.

The stockpiling has become so worrisome in Idaho, Kentucky, Ohio, Nevada, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Texas that the boards in those states have issued emergency restrictions or guidelines on how the drugs can be dispensed at pharmacies. More states are expected to follow suit.

“This is a real issue and it is not some product of a few isolated bad apples,” said Jay Campbell, executive director of the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy.

The medications being prescribed differ slightly from state to state, but include those lauded by President Trump at televised briefings as potential breakthrough treatments for the virus, which has killed more than 500 people in the United States and infected at least 43,000.

States Say Some Doctors Stockpile Trial Coronavirus Drugs, for Themselves

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Fair, and I totally understand that. It's a major issue. That said, you're talking about taxing a key aspect of our society, our healthcare capability. On the flip side, we are currently severely taxing our economy, meaning jobs will be lost, folks will slip into poverty who weren't yesterday, and general health of a lot of folks will decrease as a result of the pending recession/depression. So that will tax the healthcare system as well. Are we considering all of that fairly?

I get it. There is no easy answer, and I certainly don't have one. I'm trying to do my best to weed out the noise and listen to the medical and science professionals which is getting more difficult by the day.

Your post specifically stood out to me because of the question about deaths still resulting in deaths if it was a regular flu, and I don't think that's the issue which is why I responded.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Doctors are hoarding medications touted as possible coronavirus treatments by writing prescriptions for themselves and family members, according to pharmacy boards in states across the country.

The stockpiling has become so worrisome in Idaho, Kentucky, Ohio, Nevada, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Texas that the boards in those states have issued emergency restrictions or guidelines on how the drugs can be dispensed at pharmacies. More states are expected to follow suit.

“This is a real issue and it is not some product of a few isolated bad apples,” said Jay Campbell, executive director of the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy.

The medications being prescribed differ slightly from state to state, but include those lauded by President Trump at televised briefings as potential breakthrough treatments for the virus, which has killed more than 500 people in the United States and infected at least 43,000.

States Say Some Doctors Stockpile Trial Coronavirus Drugs, for Themselves

That’s awful. But probably a sign of how bad this could get.

Sucks I can’t read that article without paying.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
By the same token, drastically increased testing will dramatically increase the numbers of those infected but who weren't hospitalized, and didn't die, which will necessarily reduce the death rate.

South Korea was able to individually identify those who were infected, which is what the US is trying to do on a broad scale now.

Yes. Getting to a point of control with enough testing kits is really the only possible to way to responsibly ease restrictions any time soon.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

We are talking infected versus deaths, if you do it progressively compare to in masses like the US now. Your death rate will always be lower when doing it progressively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad