OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part IV - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Mar 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ladyfan Miss Savvy , Looch and Quaider Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I hope all is well for your wife. Sending a hug

Scotto74 likes this.
  2. Glove Malfunction Ference is my binky

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    EMR Consultant
    Can you try to make a point without calling people ignorant? His point about scientists having an incentive (albeit a very different one from politicians) to hype this is valid. And he's also right that scientists are not all in agreement with their predictions, and some are going to be wrong, some very wrong.

You are not absolutely right on everything. Have some small amount of an open mind.

3. lost peanut RETIRED

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    I just got the call I was expecting after Ontario announced it was shutting down at midnight tonight. My company had already laid off all but 80 of it's 1200 employees. I worry about those people more then myself because financially, I will be okay.

It had to be done though.

4. Scotto74 taking a break

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Manager FP&A

my "story" was an example of why I feel you should not believe the medical community 100%. EXAMPLE. you can't apply the facts of one EXAMPLE to another as it is an EXAMPLE of how they have LIED in the past. if you can't understand what an EXAMPLE is showing why you should not believe the "story" from them 100% because it is SCIENCE it based on your pure stubbornness. I have nothing I need to prove to you. if you want to drink the cool-aid 100% because it is Science good on you. If you can't understand how examples work then good on you as well. have fun living with blinders in a world of pure stubbornness that make no sense.

later.

5. Glove Malfunction Ference is my binky

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    EMR Consultant
    How can I NOT like this post?!

6. Scotto74 taking a break

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Manager FP&A

not worth it but thank you. some people see their side and if you don't see eye to eye they resort to name calling. exactly the type of people i don't bother to associate with.

it's my way or I hate you......cry

exactly what is wrong with the world today. no one can try to see another point of view.

i am getting to old for this shit.

7. CharasLazyWrister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  8. HockeyMomx2 Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don't know how to link stuff but someone else does and it's a few posts below. It is a fact that they encouraged people to go out and ignore 'misinformation '. :-( my own sister went and now can't help our parents with anything because she can't go near them. I'm 3000 miles away. It's all on my brother to help them through this. Yes, I'm angry with her too.

hrdpuk likes this.
  9. Glove Malfunction Ference is my binky

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    EMR Consultant
    I call bullshit on this.

10. CharasLazyWrister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You are saying we can’t trust either medical experts or politicians in this because both have done us wrong in the past. I’m saying...do your research on the scientist and take that advice over any politician.

Would you not rather listen to the person who is the actual expert in the field?

11. Scotto74 taking a break

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Manager FP&A
    you didn't know their nationwide epidemic was due to just a select few doctors. Who woulda thunk it.

12. CharasLazyWrister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It’s relative. I certainly mean more than 3.

I’m certainly not going to blanket the “medical community” as one item that includes pharmaceutical corporate billionaires, crooked doctors, and legitimate medical experts/scientists.

That would be lazy.

13. CharasLazyWrister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    All this complaining about name calling only to abandon your plans to log out to continue chastising.

14. Scotto74 taking a break

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Manager FP&A
    if you read what i wrote from the very beginning what i said was don't believe either 100%. I have done my research and believe some of what each of them are telling us but not buying either one 100% because they all have a past record of lying to us.

its pretty simple.

15. Scotto74 taking a break

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Manager FP&A
    yup couldn't help myself sorry to disappoint you.

CharasLazyWrister likes this.
  16. Ladyfan Miss Savvy , Looch and Quaider Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I may skip games 1 and 2....It wasn't fun the first time.

Well I made two trips to my work but my laptop is working again. It was the power cord. I have a big project I need to do but I am taking a break.

I do Planning (materials and capacity) for Manuf. I found out when I went in today that they took this "special" big guy Joe out yesterday in an ambulance. He works building heat sinks for our Configurable area. He is like his own little factory and does a great job. The supervisor told me he was upset about everything going on. They think he had a stroke...It makes me sad. I hope Joe will be OK.

17. Beesfan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I wouldn't take out the "outlier" of Washington because this virus will strike concentrated groups of vulnerable populations again. That said, I think the actual mortality rate is likely in the 0.2 to 0.5% range ( the flu is 0.1 %), and there are some heavyweight epidemiologists that support that conclusion. The reason, as you allude, is that the actual number of people carrying the virus is exponentially higher than the 50,000 or so positive tests. Just look at the number of asymptomatic celebrities, athletes and politicians that have tested positive, who only even got a test because they were famous. If the US population has CV19 in the same proportion as the NBA, then something like 5 million people have it. If the infection rate in the general pop is 1/5 the rate of the NBA, then 1 million have it.

This virus is largely going to cause more deaths than the flu because, even on the lower end, it is still 2-3x more deadly, and, more importantly, there are no vaccines and pretty much everyone is susceptible to getting it.

bp13 and Glove Malfunction like this.
  18. CharasLazyWrister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You’re putting legitimate medical experts with proven track records under the same umbrella as crooked doctors and greedy pharma execs. Obviously no one is advocating for those people, but you’re including them in the argument so you can downplay what medical experts (who obviously know more about this than any politician) are saying.

Your way of arguing in the most generalized terms is the exact way a politician riles his or her base. You just stick people in large groups and demonize.

19. BrainOfJ Pay Torey

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Was talking to a buddy the other night and he brought up a great point. Fauci has been the director of the NIAID since 1984 through 6 presidents...He's been a part of containment efforts for HIV, SARS, Swine Flu, MERS, and Ebola along with every strand of the flu and other common diseases that hit us in waves consistently basically as the wizard of oz behind the curtain...This one specifically he's out front and center, trying to tell as many people as he can about the dangers and advising what's essentially a complete shutdown .

I don't know about most, but that tells me a lot of what I need to know.

20. Glove Malfunction Ference is my binky

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    EMR Consultant
    By the same token, drastically increased testing will dramatically increase the numbers of those infected but who weren't hospitalized, and didn't die, which will necessarily reduce the death rate.

South Korea was able to individually identify those who were infected, which is what the US is trying to do on a broad scale now.

21. Spooner st HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Doctors are hoarding medications touted as possible coronavirus treatments by writing prescriptions for themselves and family members, according to pharmacy boards in states across the country.

The stockpiling has become so worrisome in Idaho, Kentucky, Ohio, Nevada, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Texas that the boards in those states have issued emergency restrictions or guidelines on how the drugs can be dispensed at pharmacies. More states are expected to follow suit.

“This is a real issue and it is not some product of a few isolated bad apples,” said Jay Campbell, executive director of the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy.

The medications being prescribed differ slightly from state to state, but include those lauded by President Trump at televised briefings as potential breakthrough treatments for the virus, which has killed more than 500 people in the United States and infected at least 43,000.

States Say Some Doctors Stockpile Trial Coronavirus Drugs, for Themselves

22. Kate08 HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I get it. There is no easy answer, and I certainly don't have one. I'm trying to do my best to weed out the noise and listen to the medical and science professionals which is getting more difficult by the day.

Your post specifically stood out to me because of the question about deaths still resulting in deaths if it was a regular flu, and I don't think that's the issue which is why I responded.

23. CharasLazyWrister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That’s awful. But probably a sign of how bad this could get.

Sucks I can’t read that article without paying.

24. CharasLazyWrister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yes. Getting to a point of control with enough testing kits is really the only possible to way to responsibly ease restrictions any time soon.

Glove Malfunction likes this.
  25. Spooner st HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    We are talking infected versus deaths, if you do it progressively compare to in masses like the US now. Your death rate will always be lower when doing it progressively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.