OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part IV - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is a trying time for all of us no matter where you live.

Right now politics should be put aside. We all have government leaders at the Federal and State/Provincial levels telling us what we must do to get through this.

We will closely moderate this thread.

Coronavirus Dashboard

OT - NO POLITICS - All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part III

89623758_10220250846634048_664307170107457536_n.jpg

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Really sorry to hear that GW. Hopefully despite things, he grows up fast and is responsible when he gets back - eg. self isolate for 14 days. It's pretty unreal that people don't "get it" yet.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
FEMA Declares New York a ‘Major Disaster’: Live Updates

Disaster Declaration gives New York access to billions in aid.

The Trump administration has issued a Major Disaster Declaration for the state, meaning more federal aid is coming to New York as cases of coronavirus show no sign of abating.

As of Saturday, 10,356 New York state residents had tested positive for the virus. With 6 percent of the U.S. population, the state now accounts for nearly half of the 18,000 cases in the country tallied by The New York Times.

The designation by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which was announced by Senator Chuck Schumer of New York on Friday night, gives New York access to billions of dollars in aid from the Disaster Relief Fund.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Italy, Pandemic’s New Epicenter, Has Lessons for the World

The country’s experience shows that steps to isolate the coronavirus and limit people’s movement need to be put in place early, with absolute clarity, then strictly enforced.

But tracing the record of their actions shows missed opportunities and critical missteps that have left the country in its worst state since World War II.

In the critical early days of the outbreak, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte and other top officials sought to down play the threat, creating confusion and a false sense of security that allowed the virus to spread.

They blamed Italy’s high number of infections on aggressive testing of people without symptoms in the north, which they argued only created hysteria and tarnished the country’s image abroad.

Italy, Pandemic’s New Epicenter, Has Lessons for the World

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
FEMA Declares New York a ‘Major Disaster’: Live Updates

Disaster Declaration gives New York access to billions in aid.

The Trump administration has issued a Major Disaster Declaration for the state, meaning more federal aid is coming to New York as cases of coronavirus show no sign of abating.

As of Saturday, 10,356 New York state residents had tested positive for the virus. With 6 percent of the U.S. population, the state now accounts for nearly half of the 18,000 cases in the country tallied by The New York Times.

The designation by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which was announced by Senator Chuck Schumer of New York on Friday night, gives New York access to billions of dollars in aid from the Disaster Relief Fund.

I don't think any of us can prepare ourselves mentally for what is going to happen in New York City and they still have not closed down the subway.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I don't think any of us can prepare ourselves mentally for what is going to happen in New York City and they still have not closed down the subway.
It isn't going to be as bad as i thought, since they are going to produce ventilators and masks. Gov. Cuomo is doing and outstanding job. They need total lockdown.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
“This is a harsh reality to face for the international ice hockey family, but one that we must accept,” Rene Fasel, the IIHF’s president, said in a statement released Saturday. “The coronavirus is a global problem and requires major efforts by government bodies to combat its spread. The IIHF must do all it can to support this fight. We have to set sport aside for now and support both the government bodies and the ice hockey family.”

The statement also said there were “obviously no possibilities to relocate” the event this year.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
A friend of mine's daughter is working extra hours at the grocery store since she doesn't have school. He said she told him that some people are so rude to her because the store is out of what they want.

He wants to go to the store and kill everyone who is rude to his 16 year old daughter. I don't blame him. People need to think before they take out their anger on folks who are working and trying to keep everything going.

I said this before ...There are more good deeds than bad but the bad are awful and stand out more.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
It isn't going to be as bad as i thought, since they are going to produce ventilators and masks. Gov. Cuomo is doing and outstanding job. They need total lockdown.

Agree that Cuomo is taking real steps to try and contain this in the short term. I don't know how fast they can get respirators as well as trained medics to actually use them on patients. On the sheer number of cases the ICU beds with ventilators are probably all occupied at this stage... They only had about 300 free a week ago and with 7-9% of cases being severe that capacity is already gone. This is the insidious nature of crisis like these and probably how they need to articulate the risk to the population at large.

Ergo : "There are no ICU beds left. Even if you don't have contamination with Covid 19, if you get sick, have an accident, have cancer or diabetes, or some other critical care situation - there will be no care as the system is already over capacity. This is why we need all you to stay home and avoid contact. Covid 19 will kill both Covid infected people, but as importantly, anyone that needs critical care if the system is overwhelmed."

This is what is happening in Northern Italy right now. There is no additional care for anything. AND the actual count of deaths in cluster zones is about 3x the annualized deaths per population from last year. Only about a 3rd of these are being associated to Covid 19 because of a lack of testing... Bergamo is a prime example of this... You're talking doubling the annual death rate of the country and that is at this stage... Carpe diem.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
You think you’re all set and then you blink and your entire pack of chewy chips ahoys are gone.

yup, those bags of doritos probably go pretty fast. i was out a few days ago to quickly grab
essentials, and saw a lady walk right up to another lady, maybe 1 foot away, and shows her
a package of cheese. "this looks pretty good, huh?" :eek:

Reactions: BrainOfJ

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Agree that Cuomo is taking real steps to try and contain this in the short term. I don't know how fast they can get respirators as well as trained medics to actually use them on patients. On the sheer number of cases the ICU beds with ventilators are probably all occupied at this stage... They only had about 300 free a week ago and with 7-9% of cases being severe that capacity is already gone. This is the insidious nature of crisis like these and probably how they need to articulate the risk to the population at large.

Ergo : "There are no ICU beds left. Even if you don't have contamination with Covid 19, if you get sick, have an accident, have cancer or diabetes, or some other critical care situation - there will be no care as the system is already over capacity. This is why we need all you to stay home and avoid contact. Covid 19 will kill both Covid infected people, but as importantly, anyone that needs critical care if the system is overwhelmed."

bang on, and i'm sure that most of the population doesn't have this on their minds at all.
crazy times. i'm afraid to see where we are in 3 weeks.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I honestly don’t understand how people are still panic buying. How are you not all set yet?! And beyond that, it’s been made clear that in the case of a lockdown grocery stores are open.

some, believe it or not, are just starting to accept the reality of it all and some are just scared witless.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I just took Daisy out and started to head around one of the buildings to get a walk in, when I hear the sounds of......kids playing. Round the corner, and lo and behold, there are about half a dozen kids climbing all over the playground equipment, which the management already announced is closed. o_O :mad: :madfire::madfire::madfire:

Reactions: lopey

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
bang on, and i'm sure that most of the population doesn't have this on their minds at all.
crazy times. i'm afraid to see where we are in 3 weeks.

should just about be in the peak....down trend will depend on # healthcare workers still standing, # beds available and hopefully replenishment of hospital supplies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I just took Daisy out and started to head around one of the buildings to get a walk in, when I hear the sounds of......kids playing. Round the corner, and lo and behold, there are about half a dozen kids climbing all over the playground equipment, which the management already announced is closed. o_O :mad: :madfire::madfire::madfire:
I went for a drive yesterday and the hiking trails are just packed with people. I waited in my car until the person in front of me decided he was finished throwing away his trash in the dumpster. One bag of trash should not take you 10 minutes to throw away.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
In an unforeseen but logical example of what this crisis has done, food box services like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron are being inundated with new members. I use Blue Apron, and they've had to reduce menu choices and put off orders in some areas because of the new accounts overwhelming their fulfillment centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad