OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part IV - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I can't think of a group who IS downplaying this, aside from maybe the President who has the economy in mind. And I can't think of a group that isn't personally incentivized to hype it.

The media is clearly incentivized to hype this, and they absolutely are. When rates stall or decrease in places, they revert to hard numbers instead of rates. When the reverse is true, they hype accelerating rates. Fear = ratings. Like shark attacks in July.

And the medical community is clearly incentivized to hype it. Why wouldn't they want more supplies? Why wouldn't they want to be covered in the worst case scenario? . And let me be clear...I'm not suggesting the medical community is lying for their own well being. I'm saying they're obviously incentivized to get people to act in the way that makes their jobs easier and protects them against their worst case scenario.

Just like we have to consider the loss of life for every military conflict, I think the rational thing to do here is consider the long-term effects of rising unemployment, rising numbers below the poverty level, rising cases of illness and other health risks that come with recession/depression, etc. It should all be part of the conversation, without folks labelling any of it "downplaying" the risk.

And by the way, I'm not saying you are generalizing the word "downplay".

Scientists have been calling how this will play out for months. And it’s playing out exactly like they said.

Certain politicians, including the head guy, have been saying it isn’t a big deal until extremely recently when the impact became simply undeniable. And certain politicians have a ton to lose, both in money and position, with a falling stock market.

Who would you trust? Your implication that the medical community is somehow aligned with the political community in angling this crisis for personal gain is terribly ignorant and obscene.

Reactions: Bocephus86

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
oh i believe it for sure just being sarcastic. I don't believe ANYTHING China says about when or HOW the outbreak started.

China obviously never learned that it isn't the problem but it is the cover up of the problem that gets you into trouble.

They have really screwed up here & the damage to whatever credibility they had is IMO permanent. People are not going to forget.

Reactions: Scotto74

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
It was most certainly here in January but we won't know this for certain until the serological testing has been created and put into use.

Even when we get the test, the question becomes who should be tested?

Right now, our focus should be getting to the point where we can test everyone now for the virus.
Agree

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
What don’t think the virus could have been over here in Dec.,January?I tend to not believe much China says about when the outbreak started.

See it's funny. I've heard that before, and like you, I don't believe much from China either. However, when it suited alarmists here, they were sure willing to believe all the negative data coming from China then.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
See it's funny. I've heard that before, and like you, I don't believe much from China either. However, when it suited alarmists here, they were sure willing to believe all the negative data coming from China then.
People here only what they want to here.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Scientists have been calling how this will play out for months. And it’s playing out exactly like they said.

Certain politicians, including the head guy, have been saying it isn’t a big deal until extremely recently when the impact became simply undeniable. And certain politicians have a ton to lose, both in money and position, with a falling stock market.

Who would you trust? Your implication that the medical community is somehow aligned with the political community in angling this crisis for personal gain is terribly ignorant and obscene.

Where did I say the medical community was aligned with the political community? I said the medical community is incentivized to hype this, as is the media. It gets them needed supplies and portends to make their lives easier if potential overcrowding can be limited. Is any of that untrue?

And to say scientists have been calling how will play out like it was unanimous is simply wrong. Scientists TODAY insist this is impossible to predict, as it has been. Some scientists predicted this. Many did not. Many will end up predicting far worse than this will become. Nobody knows any of this for certain.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Where did I say the medical community was aligned with the political community? I said the medical community is incentivized to hype this, as is the media. It gets them needed supplies and portends to make their lives easier if potential overcrowding can be limited. Is any of that untrue?

And to say scientists have been calling how will play out like it was unanimous is simply wrong. Scientists TODAY insist this is impossible to predict, as it has been. Some scientists predicted this. Many did not. Many will end up predicting far worse than this will become. Nobody knows any of this for certain.

You are implying that both the opinion of politicians and scientists should be taken with a grain of salt because both are incentivized. The obvious difference is that medical community takes giant risks and doesn’t stop working during any of this. Politicians aren’t in nearly the same situation and certainly aren’t doing anything close to heroic.

Moreso, the issue at hand is SCIENCE. So obviously an intelligent adult would put a lot more stock in the advice of scientists, rather than privileged politicians who have essentially nothing to lose considering that they always will have access to top notch medical care no matter what happens. I also find your point that medical experts are trying to prevent overcrowding for their own benefit to be laughable. Sheer ignorance.

Another, perhaps more direct point, is talking about loosening restrictions when we are only at the beginning of restrictions is jet going to get people to loosen up now. It’s irresponsible. Not surprising given the source. But irresponsible.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
But this is the problem. We don’t have testing capacity so we need to be shutdown. We maybe could have used the testing capacity we have effectively two months ago, but we didn’t react in time.

Trump talking about relaxing social distancing is just going to get a certain percentage of the population to stop taking precautions now, not weeks down the road. It’s such a dangerous idea for a politician to just toss out in the face of actual scientific data and advice.
Yes, I agree, total shut down until all Medical equipment necessary is available and can continue to be manufactured.
Keep schools closed to the Fall. You can try to make social distance rules/laws/policies, but lets face it, people will not follow it. I'm for the rules/laws/policies, but I know people just won't follow it.
In this scenario, people get back to work, and if they get sick and need hospitalization, then it's available.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This is such a no win situation.

keep up the lockdown more and more will lose jobs and possibly never recover.

ease up on the lockdown and more and more will get sick.

you just can't win in this situation. it totally sucks.
I am heartbroken. We are in Education so if districts are closed, you simply can't do the job as a lot of the role is customer facing.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
You are implying that both the opinion of politicians and scientists should be taken with a grain of salt because both are incentivized. The obvious difference is that medical community takes giant risks and doesn’t stop working during any of this. Politicians aren’t in nearly the same situation and certainly aren’t doing anything close to heroic.

Moreso, the issue at hand is SCIENCE. So obviously an intelligent adult would put a lot more stock in the advice of scientists, rather than privileged politicians who have essentially nothing to lose considering that they always will have access to top notch medical care no matter what happens.

Another, perhaps more direct point, is talking about loosening restrictions when we are only at the beginning of restrictions is jet going to get people to loosen up now. It’s irresponsible. Not surprising given the source. But irresponsible.

You can't discount the fact that while yes the Medial community is Science based they are also always about the Money (example Science proves that opioids addict and kill people but the medical community saw nothing but $$$$ and didn't give a rats ass about the Science involved.) those science based medical people told us for years taking percs and other opioids was fine for us.

just like GW says..It's always about the Money

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You can't discount the fact that while yes the Medial community is Science based they are also always about the Money (example Science proves that opioids addict and kill people but the medical community saw nothing but $$$$ and didn't give a rats ass about the Science involved.)

You are talking about the issue of medicine being tied up in the private sector and companies like Purdue Pharma.

That has absolutely nothing to do with medical experts explaining the gravity of this problem.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Moreso, the issue at hand is SCIENCE. So obviously an intelligent adult would put a lot more stock in the advice of scientists, rather than privileged politicians who have essentially nothing to lose considering that they always will have access to top notch medical care no matter what happens.

Well for one I'm not defending loosening up anything, nor am I defending Trump. More importantly, if you read my post, I never even mentioned politicians. I mentioned the media, which is clearly thriving on overplaying this. Is anyone debating that?

And I don't get it why it's taboo to point out how each group is incentivized, which was my only point. I don't see anyone in the public eye who is incentivized to downplay this, and I think that's why we don't see anyone doing it, save for maybe Trump who is concerned about re-election.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
You are talking about the issue of medicine being tied up in the private sector and companies like Purdue Pharma.

That has absolutely nothing to do with medical experts explaining the gravity of this problem.

the same medical experts that over-perscribed opioids for years for nothing but the money. This time we should put 100% faith in them that it will be all about what is best for us and money will not play a factor?

as the saying goes fool me once shame on me fool me twice....

member 96824

At risk for outing myself here on a MA based board, I may be as fiscally conservative and driven as they come, but I just can't see a world where we are responsibly opening up public places again in two weeks.

Especially seeing where cases were last week, compared to this week, and where we think they'll be next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 3 weeks from now is the peak of this thing for this season in the most impacted areas like NYC. We haven't even really seen the outbreak hit middle America yet in full force, but that's certainly coming as well.

I'm also no economist, but if a large % of the country is sick and a substantial % of people are dying(the ones with the most money), that ain't good for the economy either.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
the same medical experts that over-perscribed opioids for years for nothing but the money. This time we should put 100% faith in them that it will be all about what is best for us and money will not play a factor?

as the saying goes fool me once shame on me fool me twice....

Purdue Pharma created a drug and then hired salespeople to go out and sell it to doctors. A select few doctors decided that they could make a ton of money getting people addicted. It then became a street drug.

You putting the entire medical community under the same blanket as corporate assholes and money grubbing “doctors” is pure laziness.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Purdue Pharma created a drug and then hired salespeople to go out and sell it to doctors. A select few doctors decided that they could make a ton of money getting people addicted. It then became a street drug.

You putting the entire medical community under the same blanket as corporate assholes and money grubbing “doctors” is pure laziness.

come on you really think it was a select few doctors?

i have had over a dozen pcp's in my life and every time my back hurt they were basically stuffing the pills into my mouth themselves. It was a large part of the medical community. saying its a select few is really downplaying it in my opinion and pure laziness.

if you want to say there are a select few that don't care about the money i would agree with you but flip that and we will never agree.

It's ALWAYS about the money and there will be tons of many made off of this pandemic...book it.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad