OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part IV - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Here in Ireland a governmental payment of 350euro a week (376usd) is being introduced from Friday for everybody who has lost their job either permanently or temporarily because of COVID-19. It is going to be in place for the next 12 weeks. They estimate that will be close to 400,000 people by the end of this week or close to 10% of the population.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I find it interesting that you and I would differ over what we think is leadership.

Not who.....but what.
We all have different opinions. I don't agree with all he does, and even less of what he says. I think very few politicians in DC show much actual leadership. I think if we had an actual discussion about leadership, you'd find we probably don't have too many differences. Policy differences - yeah, I'm sure we'd have plenty. But please don't pretend to know what you think my definition of leadership is until we've had the chance to actually talk about it.

I'm just pointing out that you condemned him saying he'd "like to" get the country open again by Easter (still almost three weeks away), as a "total refusal to follow doctors and scientists input." If he went against scientists input and actually did order the country back to normal, then you'll be totally justified. What he says and what he does are often in conflict, but I think there's more to point to him listening to scientists than not. travel restrictions, early declaration of both public health and national emergencies, quarantines.

What would you have him say - We're going to lock you in your houses for unknown number of months? That may be the truth, and he may know that, but saying that doesn't do anyone any good.

Reactions: BMC

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
023BDB2C-0552-41B9-8D73-D5D75759DF78.jpeg

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I’m talking about restrictions and stipulations on people that take our money. If they don’t want to meet them fine, just don’t take the bailout. But whatever, just hand it out willy nilly I guess. Didn’t hurt the last time people were suffering and going hungry! Went very well!

less unemployment time the better for those suffering. The Lower the wages the better too! That’s what I say!
no one said give it out willy nilly but if that makes you feel better saying it so be it.

no stock buy backs - I get it
no money to executive bonus - i get it
cut your carbon footprint by X date - total bull shit

you keep saying about last time. breaking news this is not 2008 anymore so why you keep bringing up what a congress (senate and house) agreed to for a packaged in 2008. and that has what to do with now other than we have a ton of the same people passing the bills including yes you guessed it the same speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid (senate majority leader Democrate). They (Democrates )controlled both sides of congress in 2008 and are the ones that passed the terrible 2008 package you keep referring to yet you are hell bent on being on their side again now in 2020 while at the same time ripping into what they did in 2008.

go figure

question who do you blame for the 2008 package you keep referring too

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
as i said different priority's your willing to hang up a bill due to your stance on greenhouse gasses and how they affect the world. While i believe something has to be done on that front i believe this is not the time or place and people need help now. but as you said to each their own..people will just have to wait for help while we fight the never ending climate change battle.
"As I said different priority's your willing to hang up a bill due to your stance that bailout money to corporations should come with no guardrails or worker protections. "

Both sides need to agree. One side is pushing for massive unstipulated funding for major big business industries, and the distribution of that money at the will of the administration. The other wants to ensure there are stipulations tied to that money that protects workers - like preventing the money from going to stock buy-backs, or ensuring that industries that take money offer paid sick leave to employees.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
"As I said different priority's your willing to hang up a bill due to your stance that bailout money to corporations should come with no guardrails or worker protections. "

Both sides need to agree. One side is pushing for massive unstipulated funding for major big business industries, and the distribution of that money at the will of the administration. The other wants to ensure there are stipulations tied to that money that protects workers - like preventing the money from going to stock buy-backs, or ensuring that industries that take money offer paid sick leave to employees.

wrong I keep saying I am for guardrails for corporations but not for same day voter registration, additional obamaphones and cutting your carbon footprint as part of the guardrails. but try again.

look at my post two posts before yours.

and next time you put " " around something why not try to actually quote someone instead of making up your own quote and pretending it is someones.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
no one said give it out willy nilly but if that makes you feel better saying it so be it.

no stock buy backs - I get it
no money to executive bonus - i get it
cut your carbon footprint by X date - total bull shit

you keep saying about last time. breaking news this is not 2008 anymore so why you keep bringing up what a congress (senate and house) agreed to for a packaged in 2008. and that has what to do with now other than we have a ton of the same people passing the bills including yes you guessed it the same speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid (senate majority leader Democrate). They (Democrates )controlled both sides of congress in 2008 and are the ones that passed the terrible 2008 package you keep referring to yet you are hell bent on being on their side again now in 2020 while at the same time ripping into what they did in 2008.

go figure

question who do you blame for the 2008 package you keep referring too

I blame both sides for the 2008 package. It was signed into law by Bush with bipartisan support. I think it was terrible and had no oversight from anybody whatsoever. That’s why it’s important that they have oversight this time!

Automobiles are required to have emission standards. The EPA produced a study that shows that the airline industry is in major need of regulating emissions. But again we are talking about the house bill here, which I’ve already called a waste of time. Im just saying airlines should absolutely be doing this stuff if they take our money in a stimulus package.

What we should really be paying attention to is the senate negotiations. That’s the only one that really matters. And I’m in favor of more benefits for the needy here, but that’s just me. Glad that it seems like they’ve finally agreed on 4 months. Now they just have to have realistic oversight so a repeat of 2008 doesn’t happen

Reactions: Ladyfan

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Some of u really need to pay attention to other stuff than “the news” quarantine sucks but watching and paying attention to this stuff 24/7 Isn’t healthy.

I try to avoid the news as much as I can even before the virus it was just negativity. Doesn’t even matter which side of the fence it is. Negative mass media hypnosis.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
The only good news i am seeing in terms of cases is each day in MA the rate is growing somewhere in the 20-30% range. I have not seen all of the states but if we can keep it in the mid 20's and don't see the 40% increases that Italy saw maybe we are helping the curve.

Reactions: veganbruin

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sorry, but no.

More people will be hurt if the economy goes into a true depression than would be by the virus.

At some point you have to cut your losses, at some point the greater good is getting the country and economy going again.

Yes, people are going to die. They will die regardless. Call me heartless or whatever, I don't care. But more damage is done the longer you have 30%+ of the country sitting at home with no income.

Something along the lines of isolate the elderly and high risk populations from the world until it settles down is a far better choice for everyone than just shutting down everything.

Totally disadree.

Your country can’t handlr the mess it would create.

Total nightmare to all hospitals

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The only good news i am seeing in terms of cases is each day in MA the rate is growing somewhere in the 20-30% range. I have not seen all of the states but if we can keep it in the mid 20's and don't see the 40% increases that Italy saw maybe we are helping the curve.

I honestly think most ppl are trying to do their part and that will flatten the curve some

We just have to prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed and we will be in ok shape

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
We all have different opinions. I don't agree with all he does, and even less of what he says. I think very few politicians in DC show much actual leadership. I think if we had an actual discussion about leadership, you'd find we probably don't have too many differences. Policy differences - yeah, I'm sure we'd have plenty. But please don't pretend to know what you think my definition of leadership is until we've had the chance to actually talk about it.

I'm just pointing out that you condemned him saying he'd "like to" get the country open again by Easter (still almost three weeks away), as a "total refusal to follow doctors and scientists input." If he went against scientists input and actually did order the country back to normal, then you'll be totally justified. What he says and what he does are often in conflict, but I think there's more to point to him listening to scientists than not. travel restrictions, early declaration of both public health and national emergencies, quarantines.

What would you have him say - We're going to lock you in your houses for unknown number of months? That may be the truth, and he may know that, but saying that doesn't do anyone any good.

Regarding President Trump= I have learned not to react to what he says but to what he does. Remember he's not a professional political figure. They never say anything unfiltered and/or unrehearsed.

Reactions: jgatie

member 96824

Where does he say these are his actual plans? Just because he'd "love to" have the country back open by Easter, did he say that's the actual plan? I'd "love to" retire in five years, but I'll have to wait until that time to evaluate the situation. Can we wait until the time actually gets here before damning things that haven't even happened yet?

Already talking to a lot of people who are taking the quarantine less seriously overnight. "Lets just open up by easter" "Can't destroy the economy and this shutdown isn't making a difference" and "We don't shut down for the flu" is back again.

Now certain pundits are talking about how we need a "date certain" approach, like we can just say "Hey Covid, it's April 15th you have to leave now"

I'll just say, these aren't the scientific based crowd. Where do you think they got those ideas?

I'd love it if people waited to evaluate a full plan that was rolled out, but we know that doesn't ever happen. Do you not see the damage that planting seeds like that can have when people a lot of people can't comprehend that COVID-19 doesn't give a shit who you voted for? This is just anecdotal and I understand they don't speak for all..but damn.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My 84 year old mom is rocking her self quarantine. I asked her how she was doing not being able to go out except to the box for the newspaper or to put the trash out.

She said she has a lot of experience with it because during her childhood people routinely self quarantined during outbreaks of polio & diphtheria, for example. There were no vaccines and not much treatment available if you got those diseases. You just stayed home then much like we're doing now- go to the store, the bank, the post office, the drug store and that was it. You didn't whine or complain about it because this was the way it was, it was the only sure way to protect yourself from the disease & everyone was in the same boat with you. She said people just need to be self disciplined and patient, this outbreak will pass. She also said it doesn't help that the media is hammering this thing 24/7 after awhile it just fuels people's fears. Give the public honest information but otherwise stop beating it to death.

:)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That's definitely fair. Middle ground would certainly be nice - it just seems that middle ground has disappeared in both Washington and in the media these days. Unfortunately, I think that's where the majority of us live.

There is no doubt in my mind that we board people could come up with a workable solution in less time and without the bullshit.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

FWIW, none of the monies were "bailouts", they were no-interest loans that had to be paid back. Actually that's the same situation as the "bailout" in 2008. No- or very low-interest loans, coupled with some stock purchases by the Fed. Large majority of the loans were paid back by the banks by 2011.

Saying this funding was "unstipulated" is not accurate. That said, no opposition from me to ensure corporations use the loans to take care of their workers and not themselves.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Some of u really need to pay attention to other stuff than “the news” quarantine sucks but watching and paying attention to this stuff 24/7 Isn’t healthy.

I try to avoid the news as much as I can even before the virus it was just negativity. Doesn’t even matter which side of the fence it is. Negative mass media hypnosis.

This X100

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That's definitely fair. Middle ground would certainly be nice - it just seems that middle ground has disappeared in both Washington and in the media these days. Unfortunately, I think that's where the majority of us live.

without a doubt

And this is truly unprecedented so I do understand the wide range of reactions but imo at the end of the day we are better off safe than sorry here. Stick to the protocol the epidemiologists lay out for us and go from there....that’s my plan

Reactions: Glove Malfunction
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad