OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part IV - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Already talking to a lot of people who are taking the quarantine less seriously overnight. "Lets just open up by easter" "Can't destroy the economy and this shutdown isn't making a difference" and "We don't shut down for the flu" is back again.

Now certain pundits are talking about how we need a "date certain" approach, like we can just say "Hey Covid, it's April 15th you have to leave now"

I'll just say, these aren't the scientific based crowd. Where do you think they got those ideas?

I'd love it if people waited to evaluate a full plan that was rolled out, but we know that doesn't ever happen. Do you not see the damage that planting seeds like that can have when people a lot of people can't comprehend that COVID-19 doesn't give a shit who you voted for? This is just anecdotal and I understand they don't speak for all..but damn.
I was talking about assertions that Trump was completely ignoring scientific input when putting out a hypothetical desire, not actual set-in stone plans.

Plenty of people have been putting out the "date certain" crap for some time now. This is an ever-changing situation which requires constant reevaluation.

Reactions: BrainOfJ and BMC

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated — perhaps as much as half the population — according to modelling by researchers at the University of Oxford. If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study. The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all. “We need immediately to begin large-scale serological surveys — antibody testing — to assess what stage of the epidemic we are in now,” she said.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated — perhaps as much as half the population — according to modelling by researchers at the University of Oxford. If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study. The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all. “We need immediately to begin large-scale serological surveys — antibody testing — to assess what stage of the epidemic we are in now,” she said.

this sounds like a great thing that so few show symptoms and decreases the rate of death and hospital care, however its sounds bad that so many get infected and we have no idea.

member 96824

I was talking about assertions that Trump was completely ignoring scientific input when putting out a hypothetical desire, not actual set-in stone plans.

Plenty of people have been putting out the "date certain" crap for some time now. This is an ever-changing situation which requires constant reevaluation.

For sure, but you can also see why the President of the United States shouldn't be shooting from the hip with hypotheticals in public forums.

You're a very smart, reasonable person who understands that's just a best case wish and digs in further to what you read and hear...unfortunately there are people out there who aren't and don't do that...and it just makes the job of those trying to get the proper information out there to contain this thing that much harder. Similar to when he mentioned the Flu and now the administration is still trying to battle that with the facts that this isn't just the flu.

Also just from an expectation standpoint, it reminds me of Jim Stockdale's story about optimists in POW camps.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
this sounds like a great thing that so few show symptoms and decreases the rate of death and hospital care, however its sounds bad that so many get infected and we have no idea.
Different numbers come out every day, a lot of people in the US and Canada had lingering flu symptoms in Dec ,it may have been the virus.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
What the f*** are you “go back to work” people even talking about?

What testing capabilities are we even going to have by this hypothetical date? If we don’t have millions more tests, we may as well have not done any of this in the first place. The entire point is to buy time to save lives and develop treatment and preventive measures.

It amazes me that so many people have now moved directly from “it’s a liberal hoax” to “welp, nothin’ we can do about it”.

If you’re offended by an order from the government to isolate socially and lay low, imagine the reaction of the poorest people when they’re told the government can’t help them anymore and they are obligated to go back to work despite the risk of death to themselves and family. Or they lose their job. You think that’s not going to be an economic disaster on its own?

All I hear from the conservative side of the aisle is that the federal government should exist for the sole purpose of protecting its citizens. Are you actually telling me that “business as usual” is the government “protecting its citizens”? It’s because distributing money down to those who are desperate doesn’t turn a profit.

The lesson learned from this needs to be that we start dedicating resources NOW to building a centralized medical system that is at least somewhat capable in this type of situation. It’s not “well, whatcha gonna do? Got to sacrifice the old folks to get back to work”. People saying this wouldn’t even be close to saying it if the situation directly affected them. But don’t worry, we get back to work too soon, and it will if it hasn’t already by then.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What the f*** are you “go back to work” people even talking about?

What testing capabilities are we even going to have by this hypothetical date? If we don’t have millions more tests, we may as well have not done any of this in the first place. The entire point is to buy time to save lives and develop treatment and preventive measures.

It amazes me that so many people have now moved directly from “it’s a liberal hoax” to “welp, nothin’ we can do about it”.

If you’re offended by an order from the government to isolate socially and lay low, imagine the reaction of the poorest people when they’re told the government can’t help them anymore and they are obligated to go back to work despite the risk of death to themselves and family. Or they lose their job. You think that’s not going to be an economic disaster on its own?

All I hear from the conservative side of the aisle is that the federal government should exist for the sole purpose of protecting its citizens. Are you actually telling me that “business as usual” is the government “protecting its citizens”? It’s because distributing money down to those who are desperate doesn’t turn a profit.

The lesson learned from this needs to be that we start dedicating resources NOW to building a centralized medical system that is at least somewhat capable in this type of situation. It’s not “well, whatcha gonna do? Got to sacrifice the old folks to get back to work”. People saying this wouldn’t even be close to saying it if the situation directly affected them. But don’t worry, we get back to work too soon, and it will if it hasn’t already by then.
I take it you didn't see the latest that Trump wants to relax the social distancing guidelines so people can go back to work and jumpstart the economy by Easter?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
If you could shut down indefinitely , that's the best solution, but we can't.
Best bet is to have businesses make tons of test kits, masks, gowns , ventilators , and anything else that hospitals need to fight this thing. Have hospitals get extra room for a surge in patients. When all of that is in place open up work, with some tough guide lines. Who knows what you do for international travel. Obviously if a cure or better treatment is likely in the near future, you adjust the schedule. I honestly don't know of another solution, but would love to hear some.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Imo downplaying it doesn’t do anyone any good either though
I can't think of a group who IS downplaying this, aside from maybe the President who has the economy in mind. And I can't think of a group that isn't personally incentivized to hype it.

The media is clearly incentivized to hype this, and they absolutely are. When rates stall or decrease in places, they revert to hard numbers instead of rates. When the reverse is true, they hype accelerating rates. Fear = ratings. Like shark attacks in July.

And the medical community is clearly incentivized to hype it. Why wouldn't they want more supplies? Why wouldn't they want to be covered in the worst case scenario? . And let me be clear...I'm not suggesting the medical community is lying for their own well being. I'm saying they're obviously incentivized to get people to act in the way that makes their jobs easier and protects them against their worst case scenario.

Just like we have to consider the loss of life for every military conflict, I think the rational thing to do here is consider the long-term effects of rising unemployment, rising numbers below the poverty level, rising cases of illness and other health risks that come with recession/depression, etc. It should all be part of the conversation, without folks labelling any of it "downplaying" the risk.

And by the way, I'm not saying you are generalizing the word "downplay".

Reactions: BMC

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Just sent my nurse friends money for coffee or wine on venmo.

Remember those people in your life that are working hard and might need a pick me up.
friend of mine got her first Covid19 paitent today - she is a nurse at both Boston Medical and Tufts

another friend is a nurse at Boston Medical and has been feeding me stories of whats going on there. not good.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If you could shut down indefinitely , that's the best solution, but we can't.
Best bet is to have businesses make tons of test kits, masks, gowns , ventilators , and anything else that hospitals need to fight this thing. Have hospitals get extra room for a surge in patients. When all of that is in place open up work, with some tough guide lines. Who knows what you do for international travel. Obviously if a cure or better treatment is likely in the near future, you adjust the schedule. I honestly don't know of another solution, but would love to hear some.

But this is the problem. We don’t have testing capacity so we need to be shutdown. We maybe could have used the testing capacity we have effectively two months ago, but we didn’t react in time.

Trump talking about relaxing social distancing is just going to get a certain percentage of the population to stop taking precautions now, not weeks down the road. It’s such a dangerous idea for a politician to just toss out in the face of actual scientific data and advice.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What don’t think the virus could have been over here in Dec.,January?I tend to not believe much China says about when the outbreak started.
It was most certainly here in January but we won't know this for certain until the serological testing has been created and put into use.

Even when we get the test, the question becomes who should be tested?

Right now, our focus should be getting to the point where we can test everyone now for the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad