OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
As a person with a strong faith, I tell what happened today knowing what it was, but I will leave it up to you guys.

I never have worked from home in my entire life. Today, I did. I set up downstairs, and since I have no sunlight I opened the blinds on the window. It was nice, and about an hour in, I noticed an elderly woman walking up the hill. This is not all that uncommon, but I noticed she had a light jacket and wheeled walker, which again, not all that uncommon. She kept getting stuck on rocks and seemed frustrated, and something seemed off to me so I went out. I talked to her a bit, and not being a medical professional I don't know exactly what to look for. She said she was afraid and needed to go to the store. The store is about a quarter mile, along a very busy road ( I live 4 houses in from there so she was close) where cars fly. I said I would share with her what I had and she said, no I want to go...I said what do you need, she again said I just need to go to the store.....at this point I ask her to hang tight, get my wife who is an elder care nurse and she comes out and starts talking to her...text my son who is on duty patrolling and he gets there in a minute...seconds later a woman comes running up the street yelling for her....it was the lady;s daughter. She has dementia and escaped from the house without them knowing....Had I not been sitting there, this day, at that moment, she more than likely would have been injured or worse yet killed. The woman, who we know, broke down crying, hugging all of us, thanking us for caring enough to find out what was going on, and how hard it's been. It was an incredibly precious moment for all of us in this very confusing and scary time..

You're a good man, Lou.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Disclaimer: I LOVE my job. It is legitimately super fun and pays well for the field.

However, many people are going into HR/home office and I have no idea why. It’s not social distancing and there appears to be no reason anyone needs to be in the same room. I’ll just say that our main role is to be with kids after school. There IS no school and there IS no after school. Everything else is planning and data entry. I’m kinda annoyed by this but at least we don’t have to go in. I don’t know why any is doing it. Even if they’re staying 6ft from each other it seems unnecessary.

Just had to vent

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
This is infuriating

And THIS is why this shit is dangerous. Stupid, selfish bullshit like that.

I now have a story. My wife is due on April 6 and went to see her doctor for her weekly appointment this afternoon. They aren’t letting anyone in the waiting room, have locked the door and issue a screening phone call before they let you in the building. While my wife was there, she hears yelling outside the door.

“What??”
“Yeah she’s sick! She’s changed her story twice now!”

The other lady in the office had a bunch of symptoms that she LIED about seconds before seeing her OBGYN. Of all the irresponsible, selfish f***ing things to do...

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

I now have a story. My wife is due on April 6 and went to see her doctor for her weekly appointment this afternoon. They aren’t letting anyone in the waiting room, have locked the door and issue a screening phone call before they let you in the building. While my wife was there, she hears yelling outside the door.

“What??”

The other lady in the office had a bunch of symptoms that she LIED about seconds before seeing her OBGYN. Of all the irresponsible, selfish f***ing things to do...

Oh God, what a selfish thing to do. That hurts to read.

We have an ultrasound tomorrow at 11 and I'm pretty nervous.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Oh God, what a selfish thing to do. That hurts to read.

We have an ultrasound tomorrow at 11 and I'm pretty nervous.
Is it your first ultrasound? I know it’s nerve-racking (I’m a bag of shit at the best of times) but seeing my baby for the first time is something I’ll always remember.

It’ll be awesome. :)

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Is it your first ultrasound? I know it’s nerve-racking (I’m a bag of shit at the best of times) but seeing my baby for the first time is something I’ll always remember.

It's our 2nd. I'll just say it here: we are at 13 weeks and we have never made it this far before. I'd be a nervous wreck no matter what. I think it'll be fine, I really do!

Reactions: sooshii

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

“What??”

Unreal.

So damn selfish. :(

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
I work at Costco, and had mentioned in a previous version of this thread that in spite of the "less than 150 people" suggestion made by the government, we were allowing thousands into our building.
I had to drop by today, and at least in our Halifax Costco, we had two managers at the entrance limiting the amount of folks going in. Apparently Dartmouth's warehouse across the harbor isn't doing this, so maybe it was a personal decision in-store vs a company wide decision, but either way, it's great to see that they are listening to their employees concerns.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
As a person with a strong faith, I tell what happened today knowing what it was, but I will leave it up to you guys.

I never have worked from home in my entire life. Today, I did. I set up downstairs, and since I have no sunlight I opened the blinds on the window. It was nice, and about an hour in, I noticed an elderly woman walking up the hill. This is not all that uncommon, but I noticed she had a light jacket and wheeled walker, which again, not all that uncommon. She kept getting stuck on rocks and seemed frustrated, and something seemed off to me so I went out. I talked to her a bit, and not being a medical professional I don't know exactly what to look for. She said she was afraid and needed to go to the store. The store is about a quarter mile, along a very busy road ( I live 4 houses in from there so she was close) where cars fly. I said I would share with her what I had and she said, no I want to go...I said what do you need, she again said I just need to go to the store.....at this point I ask her to hang tight, get my wife who is an elder care nurse and she comes out and starts talking to her...text my son who is on duty patrolling and he gets there in a minute...seconds later a woman comes running up the street yelling for her....it was the lady;s daughter. She has dementia and escaped from the house without them knowing....Had I not been sitting there, this day, at that moment, she more than likely would have been injured or worse yet killed. The woman, who we know, broke down crying, hugging all of us, thanking us for caring enough to find out what was going on, and how hard it's been. It was an incredibly precious moment for all of us in this very confusing and scary time..

Lovely story and a happy result for you and your neighbors. I think we all need to find the little joys and wins and positives in life and make the most of what we have and maybe pay more attention to some things we have previously neglected.

For me, I have two close friends who have spent the past 2 and a half years working overseas. I've only seen them a couple of times during that period when they've briefly come back on leave. But now as a result of the pandemic their company has brought them home permanently to work out of their local office. So I have two good friends returned who I look forward to catching up with soon and will appreciate just generally having around again. Wish the reasons why they're back were different, but it's still a happy event in these confusing, anxious times.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I put this in the OT thread but it probably belongs here as it is because of the corona situation

so I have a situation. My neighbors are the type that always cry poor. When the husband was on strike friends gave them money so help pay their bills and feed their kids. When he went back to work instead of saying thank you and giving money back to the ones that gave it to them (in some cases thousands) they went out and bought a boat, a motorcycle went over seas on vacation a few months ago, just got back from a florida vacation last week.

Now they are saying to us they don't have any money he can't work OT (he is considered essential so will continue to work through the lockdown). They don't have enough money for food they say.

Do I step up and give them some food knowing they are probably fine and taking advantage and would not do the same in return. Very selfish people and if it was just the two of them i wouldn't even blink but the kids are my kids ages and it is killing me.

in the meantime I have no idea if I will have a job for long or my wife either. again he will keep his as he is union and essential. They know I am kind of a prepper but on a small scale. I am always worried about finances so i keep a good store of items on hand for the family in case of financial hardship which maybe coming very fast.

I hate when people are like that and spend spend spend vacations, cars, toys and cry I have no money and wait a bailout days after something like this happens. Yet I have saved and over time prepared for a situation like this so I don't have to leave the house.

what would you all do? am i selfish wanting to tell them you should have thought about this when you were given money last year during you strike and not gone out and spent the hard earned money people gave you to feed your family?

i am rambling because I am very upset about this right now!!

/end rant

Reactions: Ladyfan

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

It's our 2nd. I'll just say it here: we are at 13 weeks and we have never made it this far before. I'd be a nervous wreck no matter what. I think it'll be fine, I really do!

good luck to both of you fine gentlemen. all will be well.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I put this in the OT thread but it probably belongs here as it is because of the corona situation

so I have a situation. My neighbors are the type that always cry poor. When the husband was on strike friends gave them money so help pay their bills and feed their kids. When he went back to work instead of saying thank you and giving money back to the ones that gave it to them (in some cases thousands) they went out and bought a boat, a motorcycle went over seas on vacation a few months ago, just got back from a florida vacation last week.

Now they are saying to us they don't have any money he can't work OT (he is considered essential so will continue to work through the lockdown). They don't have enough money for food they say.

Do I step up and give them some food knowing they are probably fine and taking advantage and would not do the same in return. Very selfish people and if it was just the two of them i wouldn't even blink but the kids are my kids ages and it is killing me.

in the meantime I have no idea if I will have a job for long or my wife either. again he will keep his as he is union and essential. They know I am kind of a prepper but on a small scale. I am always worried about finances so i keep a good store of items on hand for the family in case of financial hardship which maybe coming very fast.

I hate when people are like that and spend spend spend vacations, cars, toys and cry I have no money and wait a bailout days after something like this happens. Yet I have saved and over time prepared for a situation like this so I don't have to leave the house.

what would you all do? am i selfish wanting to tell them you should have thought about this when you were given money last year during you strike and not gone out and spent the hard earned money people gave you to feed your family?

i am rambling because I am very upset about this right now!!

/end rant

sounds like a no to me. tell him to sell the boat.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
While pro sports in North America are on a self-imposed lockdown, some in New Jersey have taken to practice some of its basic elements:

Offence:

Defence:

At first, no one could find her and a frantic search ensued:

But then ...

af68d2d9baebbdf26c2cea10e087c048.gif

Unfortunately, these kind of individuals are in every community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad